Triple Recto owner here - thinking about the ED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtrax

Reaction score
So, like the title says, I have a 3 channel triple rec. Fantastic amp, and I don't ever want to part with it. For high gain it crushes anything I've ever played (well, except for a 5150, but I never liked that amps' voicing). BUT, I'm been craving something more... organic, I guess. Hard to describe the tone I'm looking for, but kinda along the lines of a JCM800. I haven't played one in ages, but I loved the low end thump on the 800 - something I've never experienced from any other Marshall I played. I'm a metal head, so high gain tones are priority. I suppose I'm looking to find a nice counter point to the TR. The MarkV seems like a viable option as well, but I prefer a looser feeling amp. And, FWIW, I'm not a fan of boost pedals...

So, anyone care to comment on the how a Recto and ED would compliment each other? Are they too polar opposite to live in the same mix? Cheers!

dtrax said:
So, anyone care to comment on the how a Recto and ED would compliment each other?

I think the Mark series will compliment the ED way better than the Triple Rec. The ED is much more like the JCM800 than any Recto or even the Stiletto, to my ears. It's all in the voicing, I guess.

Electra Dyne has a sweet, jaw dropping clean tone and the high gain territory sounds like a Plexi boosted to hell. IF you are more down with the Recto vintage voicing punk tones (el-34s) then they should mesh well. I get a 'similar' tone out of my recto to what the Dyne does already even though it isn't the same. BUT if you are into much heavier music, a Mark V would probably complement a Triple better. (Or a long list of other high gain beasts) The vintage high gain tone on the ED is fairly gainy but it has a warm and pronounced midrange and not the same brittle highs of the Recto. I really don't know if you CAN get a scooped tone out of it without an EQ pedal. Perhaps try running the two of them together at the music store or rent and ED and see how it goes.

Just a thought. If you want an amp to do what the Triple DOESN'T do then the ED is probably a great decision. The cleans and low gain stuff is absolutely phenomenal and the vintage high gain is a nice addition!

I think the ED is what a JCM800 "wants" to be when he "grows up"....it isnt a metal amp- but it absolutely destroys in the low gain touch sensitivity arena...and the High gain voicing is nearly illigally addictive. The combo also has more Bottom then an "all-you-can-eat-fried-twinkie-bar" at a fair in mississippi....Ed is a mans amp.

HAHA, that is one way of putting it!

ScreamingDaisy thinks the 'Dyne has a bit of the flavour of an orange amp in there as well. Maybe it sounds like a JCM800, A Plexi, an Orange Rockerverb 30, and a vintage Ibanez ts9 all had a steamy x rated foursome and the resulting offspring was the vintage lo and high modes on the 'Dyne. It is definitely Mesa's take on British tone and it is truly a wonderful thing. It is instantly addicting and the more you play it, the more you love it. At least that was my experience . . . I think the thing I like best about Vintage Hi is how the tone has so much detail without being brittle or harsh. Instead it is so fluid, organic, and creamy. The feel of the amp is absolutely amazing.

If you like the vintage mode on the recto with el-34s and gain set to about 1 oclock...that is very similar to the dyne vintage high tone. except on the dyne it sounds much better. if your into the modern recto sound with gain cranked to high mush then the dyne is not what you you want. the dyne has the best cleans and crunch(borderline high gain) tone in the business IMO. and ive owned a buttload of amps.

theweatherman said:
If you like the vintage mode on the recto with el-34s and gain set to about 1 oclock...that is very similar to the dyne vintage high tone. except on the dyne it sounds much better. if your into the modern recto sound with gain cranked to high mush then the dyne is not what you you want. the dyne has the best cleans and crunch(borderline high gain) tone in the business IMO. and ive owned a buttload of amps.

Exactly. I have a 2 channel Dual and red channel to modern / orange to vintage high gain is where it really shines. I don't think it is necessarily 'worse' than a 'dyne but it is its own sort of a tone. The dyne has jaw dropping cleans and ya, the vintage high tone is absolutely liquid and creamy pant wetting goodness. It isn't brittle like the dual which makes it great for rock! I think trying to approximate that tone on a Dual isn't using it at 100% of that it is capable of. The Dual is far better at the wall of the sound, larger than life, musical but aggressive crunch. The high end is much more bright and biting which is great for playing heavier styles. I discovered a very good crunch tone but it is on red to modern with the volume rolled down to about 8 for a mountain of soft clip. This is a very elastic playing setting that sounds almost 'marshally' and definitely is a sweet tone but it is very different than the highly detailed and warm midrange focused crunch on the 'dyne. This is through a Stiletto 4 x 12 to boot! *I* personally think that for tones, the Dyne specializes in clean, low gain, and high gain and where it leaves off, the Dual takes over. The Dual's clean and low gain options are largely 'lip' service, at least when compared to a Dyne. (they both slaughter budget amps at both applications)

Forgot to mention that I run MESA STR-442 EL-34's (SED Winged =C=) power tubes, and a Fulltone OCD to slightly boost every channel when I feel the need. 6 channel Heaven with the Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12 loaded with Mesa MS-12 (Eminence) 150 watters. :D

YellowJacket said:
Just a thought. If you want an amp to do what the Triple DOESN'T do then the ED is probably a great decision. The cleans and low gain stuff is absolutely phenomenal and the vintage high gain is a nice addition!

This is where my head is at. Like I said, I'm looking for a counterpoint amp for my TR. For recording in my home studio I currently run the Orange channel in Modern mode for my heavy rhythms and Red channel in Vintage mode for lead work. Tube rectifier and Spongy power (I like the sag and haze from Tube/Spongy at low-to-moderate volumes for recording). But for on stage with my hardcore band, Red/Modern/Bold/SS Recto all the way, and nor am I looking for the ED to compete with my TR in that context.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Tomorrow I have off from work. There's a shop a few blocks from me so I'll try to get over there to test out the ED. Any suggestions for tweaking the tone stack? Set all to noon and go from there is always how I've set my rectos...

JOEY B. said:
dtrax said:
So, anyone care to comment on the how a Recto and ED would compliment each other?

I think the Mark series will compliment the ED way better than the Triple Rec. The ED is much more like the JCM800 than any Recto or even the Stiletto, to my ears. It's all in the voicing, I guess.

Honestly, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I've been jonesing for an 800 for a while, but always felt it lacked enough gain saturation for me (unboosted that is. Personally, I'm not a boost guy; different strokes and all that jazz...).

dtrax said:
Thanks for the input so far guys. Tomorrow I have off from work. There's a shop a few blocks from me so I'll try to get over there to test out the ED. Any suggestions for tweaking the tone stack? Set all to noon and go from there is always how I've set my rectos...

Wear a diaper, because you WILL wet yourself. I did! :oops:

Oh, suggestions. Master is actually the :volume: knob and Volume is actually :gain:
Maybe watch the Mesa Boogie youtube demo first so you know how to operate the thing. I suggest setting the gain trim level to clean to allow yourself to get more gain saturation in vintage low and high.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpk6H5YX3A

dtrax said:
Honestly, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I've been jonesing for an 800 for a while, but always felt it lacked enough gain saturation for me (unboosted that is. Personally, I'm not a boost guy; different strokes and all that jazz...).

It is a little more plexi-ish. The tone is less brittle and there is a lot of intricate detail to the high gain settings. The single note runs are just so rich and fluid, and the clean seriously kicks ***! Oh, that being said, I played this amp with 6L6s. I bet EL-34s would get you right smack where you want to be tonally, and with a better amp that doesn't end in *L*.

Latest posts

Back