Triaxis LD1 Red Without The Fat Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff5

Reaction score
After years of having a Triaxis 2.0 with the fat mod I finally had Mesa reverse it and just got it back a couple of days ago.

Wow.

LD1 red is now focused tight, aggressive, has great thick mids and can cut through the mix like a knife. Admittedly I am a hard rock/metal guy who likes aggressive tones. I've tried it EQ'd in a number of ways, and can't get a bad tone out of it.

It is very aggressively and darkly voiced. Just like the manual says, it takes bass really well and doesn't flub out like the other channels. I've tried it with a lot of dynamic voice (9 or so) and got some cool tones, but I'm actually liking it a bit more with little DV (say 2), a nice mid hump and a good amount of bass. Super crunch! Palm mutes are instant "thud" and you can feel it in your bones! Simply a fantastic channel.

The difference between LD2 red is probably in tightness. LD2 is a bit looser, brighter and a bit more singing. LD1 red just punches you in the mouth. (Depending on how you EQ it of course) I'll probably gravitate to using LD1 red more for rhythm work and LD2 rd for leads. But we'll see!

Before with LD1 red, I struggled to get anything good out of it. There was a .....bloat....to it is is the only way I can explain it. If I added more bass it got more flubby and if I took it out it got too thin. Adding mids or DV didn't help nor did adjusting gain higher or lower. I could never get a usable tone out of. Now I can't get one I can't use.

I like it best with DV set to 0, Treble high-ish, mids around 5 and pump that bass to 6.5, kills anything within a radius of 200m, my favorite extreme metal tone, bar none :twisted:

I was also surprised at what a convincing Foo Fighters/QOTSA tone it can have with the gain and LD set slightly lower than you'd want for metal. Try it out!

I've been contemplating to do the fat mod but now I'm convinced LD1 Red non-fat is the way to go.

Sweet I'll have to try that tonight!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't fat mod it if it isn't already. There is a very small minority who actually likes it that way but I've had the unit for 8 years and could never get a good tone out of it.

this is why i will never sell my 2:90/triaxis rig even though i have a mark V combo....i just retubed my tri with nos tubes and it is a total killer sound..
going to retube the MKV also with all NOS....that should be amazing,,,
lead 1 red with the deep mode engaged on the 2:90 is freakin crazy brutal..........rock on :twisted:

I think you've seen my thread on the other page, but I've been messing with a Mark V for a couple of weeks but am going to return it. I wasn't going to buy it for full price anyway, I was just trying it out in the interim while my Triaxis was at Mesa and now I've been playing both comparing them. While the Mark V is a wonderful amp, it's not going to cause me to see my Triaxis/2:90 in the future and pick up a used one. There's just no need with how great the Triaxis sounds, never mind the versatility.

i hear ya man....been playing the tri90 all week...i put an rca blackplate i v1 a rft in v2,,,,sounds awesome
rock on!!

I had one with the fat mod and hated it. Got one a few years back without and it's night and day the difference in tone. WAY better. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours!

Back