Triaxis + 2:90 newbie !! needs some answers :P

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzdarkside

Reaction score
Hi folks

First of all I've been using MKIV(A) for fews years. Really love Mesa tone !! and now I got more live to play and Triaxis + 2:90 just came into my mind due to complex preset changing needed !!
I keep reading in this forum to get information as much as I can about this combination but still need some answers

1. How bad is Triaxis V2 fat mod. compare to non fat ?
from what I've read almost 100% of you recommend "non fat" it makes me feel like "DO NOT GET FAT MOD"

2. How many version of 2:90 ? I saw some has blue light some has red light. Does it different in term of sounding ? and which model do you prefer

3. How much does 2:90 weight ?

I know it might already had these answers in this forum but I couldn't find it.
thanks for answers !

In response to number 1: some people like the phat mod, and some don't. I had the newest one with TX5 "classic boogie lead" and it sounded ok. There are 4 possible ld1 reds, and any one of them could be your favorite. If you research the topic online, you'll find some people singing the praises of each.

2: there are two versions, main difference being cosmetics and placement of some parts. The red light version is newer and some or all have an iec cable instead of attached power cord. I asked the same question a few months ago, and the consensus was that there is no audible difference between the two.

3: The 2:Ninety weighs in at 34 pounds per Mesa's spec sheet, and most of that weight is from the two gigantic transformers right behind the face of the unit making it VERY front heavy.

Prices for used Triaxis' have gone up in the last few months. Everyone sold them off last summer to Christmas, and since they have become quite a rarity with most if not all of them being priced much higher since then (on eBay at least).

But on the plus side, 2:Ninety's have gone down in price. I got mine for the same price as my 20:20, making it a killer deal.

Good luck on your search!

With regards to the 2:90 price, they really are fantastically priced now. I bought mine for $500 then turned around and sold my 50/50 for the same amount. You can argue that the amount of power it puts out is never needed. However, it sounds good at any volume so using it at low volume is not an issue and it has a a lot more versatility and features than many power amps. You can even combine 6L6 and EL34 tubes in it. I can't recommend the 2:90 enough. Get one.

For the fat mod, I had my Triaxis for 8 years and could never get a sound I liked out of lead 1 Red. Ever. I can get great tones out of every other channel for a variety of styles except lead 1 Red with the fat mod. I tried a ton of different settings and it just didn't do it for me. I've sent it to Mesa to get the fat mod reversed and we'll see if I can used Lead 1 Red after that.

That is may take anyway.

jeff5 said:
With regards to the 2:90 price, they really are fantastically priced now. I bought mine for $500 then turned around and sold my 50/50 for the same amount. You can argue that the amount of power it puts out is never needed. However, it sounds good at any volume so using it at low volume is not an issue and it has a a lot more versatility and features than many power amps. You can even combine 6L6 and EL34 tubes in it. I can't recommend the 2:90 enough. Get one.

For the fat mod, I had my Triaxis for 8 years and could never get a sound I liked out of lead 1 Red. Ever. I can get great tones out of every other channel for a variety of styles except lead 1 Red with the fat mod. I tried a ton of different settings and it just didn't do it for me. I've sent it to Mesa to get the fat mod reversed and we'll see if I can used Lead 1 Red after that.

That is may take anyway.

Please post up a summary of your thoughts on the differences when you get your tri back! I'd love to hear it from someone who has had both within a short period of time. :D

1) I have the non-fat, and while I haven't heard a fat mod one, I don't really think I'd care to, the non-fat sounds killer to me.

BTW, aren't there 3 versions of the Lead 1 Red channel? AFAIK TriAxis V1 has the British Shred, then there's V2 non-fat and V2 fat. Is there another?

2) As stated, I also think there is no actual tonal difference between the two, just cosmetics and design (part placement etc)

3) A fucking ton, all of it in the front like the folks have said :lol: Makes carrying it a bit annoying since it's like this \ most of the time.

BTW, if you want absolute simplicity when playing live, TriAxis/2:90 + multi-FX with MIDI capabilities is the best option IMO. Go for it :wink:

Jackie said:
1) I have the non-fat, and while I haven't heard a fat mod one, I don't really think I'd care to, the non-fat sounds killer to me.

BTW, aren't there 3 versions of the Lead 1 Red channel? AFAIK TriAxis V1 has the British Shred, then there's V2 non-fat and V2 fat. Is there another?

2) As stated, I also think there is no actual tonal difference between the two, just cosmetics and design (part placement etc)

3) A f%&# ton, all of it in the front like the folks have said :lol: Makes carrying it a bit annoying since it's like this \ most of the time.

BTW, if you want absolute simplicity when playing live, TriAxis/2:90 + multi-FX with MIDI capabilities is the best option IMO. Go for it :wink:

The 4 versions are:
V1 British lead
V2.0 recto nonfat
V2.1 recto fat
V2.2 classic boogie lead

My only experience is with the classic boogie lead, and while there was some debate it may be the same as British shred, it didn't sound British at all. I would like to hear a British shred version as I think that would be the most useful version for me.

Latest posts

Back