To rectifier cab, or not to rectifier cab...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npo12354

Reaction score
Hey all!

So after many years of saving, I just purchased my dream amp...a Dual Rec! However, my current dilemma is whether I should continue to use my Orange 1x12 PPC112 (with a V30), or go for a Rectifier 1x12 cab with a V30 in it. I've heard that Orange's tend to be a little 'tighter' than the Mesa cabs, but I think it might be giving me a little more of a British feeling than I'd like. But I've also heard that the V30's can get a little 'boomy' sometimes. Do you think that there's a chance that the V30's in an Orange and Mesa will sound radically different? Ideally, I'd just go to a music store to try one out, but it's kind of hard for me to find a store with a Rec 1x12...so, I'm hoping that you guys might be able to put your two cents in.

In case it helps, I play mostly rock and punk.

Thanks in advance!!

I think I've read somewhere that the Orange cabs are rather bassy. Might be true or not, I haven't heard one. Just mentioning it :)

In my opinion maybe you should go for a 2X12" recto/stilleto (or even a 4X12"). You can't go wrong with that!Somewhat I think a one speaker cab is too "weak" for a dual. You need air in motion to take advantage of the recto power. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks! Yeah, I definitely plan on using a 2x12/4x12 to play shows, but am using the 1x12 more for home use/light band practice.

Stiletto 4 x 12 gets my vote as the favourite 4 x 12 cab.

I find Orange cabs to sound quite buzzy which doesn't jive well with Mesa amps. I haven't tried the Recto 1 x 12 but then again, I have yet to find a 1 x 12 I really LIKE. Apparently the Mesa 3/4 back 1 x 12 sounds quite huge though.

I've been running my Rectoverb head with a custom built 1x12 cab loaded with a V30. I really like it.

I've also run my son's DR with the same cabinet.

In both cases I've been pleased. The 1x12 cab is perfect for band practice and it behaves itself nicely unless you're asking for lots of 'thump' on the modern setting.

In my mind, that's the big difference - the 2x12 Recto cab (which we have also) and and the 4x12 cab just move a LOT more air to give you that BIG BASS that Rectos generate.

I'd keep on using that Orange with a V30 in it and call it a day. When you get to gigging you'll want to invest in a 2x12 or 4x12.

I wouldn't spend any money on another 1x12 cab.

Just my opinion,
Hope it helps,
Chris

Latest posts

Back