thiele 1x12 or recto 2x12, opinions please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recto-robbie

Reaction score
hey all, I am hoping to get your opinion here between two cabs, 1x12 thiele or recto 2x12.

I just recently purchased a new rectoverb 25 combo after a long break from the guitar and after selling all my stuff off.

I have owned numerous recto 2x12's in the past but never a thiele cab. Needless to say I have read many steller opinions about the thiele though.

Im looking now to add a cab with my ROV and wonder which would be better in your opinion.
To be clear I don't play out at all anymore, I have friends over and we jam in the basement or even the garage once in a while so needless to say im not looking to break windows or melt my ears off, hence the ROV 25.
I have always found that I prefer the bigger more full sound of having a cab under my combo, not for any volume boost, simply for the preferred sound I achieve with the added cab. Which ever cab I decide on will be run under my ROV also using the combo's speaker.

I have no need for the thiele with the EVM speaker , matter of fact I have always loved trying different speakers I have with my cabs.

I've never had any issues with my previous recto 2x12's but honestly the smaller size thiele cab has me interested, my combo would fit perfectly on top of it.

Most important to me is, do the thiele cabs also sound good with other speakers or is the evm or c90 speakers a mainstay??
Has anybody tried other speakers with it? Im dieing to try a greenback 25w with the thiele.

Oh, I play anything from the blues to rock to metal, think heaviest would be Metallica, Slayer, no drop tunings.
So what do you think????? oh and many thanks for your time all

Sorry for the brutally long post but its been on my mind for a while now

well hell, I honestly didn't know there was a vertical 2x12, I've never seen one for sale before but just found it on the Mesa sight. Looks very nice and may just be what Im looking for.

I actually found some old threads on other sights last night that explained the thiele was developed to work directly/exclusively with the EVM speaker and pretty much everyone who had tried other speakers with the thiele thought the match-up suffered.
I wonder why they only sell them with the mesa c90speakers now? Price I would guess, but that makes me wonder if they have changed the thiele design in any way to match better with the c90?

Now I need to keep an eye out for a vertical 2x12, this may be a long wait.

Anyone have any experience with the Mesa vertical 2x12????

recto-robbie said:
well hell, I honestly didn't know there was a vertical 2x12, I've never seen one for sale before but just found it on the Mesa sight. Looks very nice and may just be what Im looking for.

I actually found some old threads on other sights last night that explained the thiele was developed to work directly/exclusively with the EVM speaker and pretty much everyone who had tried other speakers with the thiele thought the match-up suffered.
I wonder why they only sell them with the mesa c90speakers now? Price I would guess, but that makes me wonder if they have changed the thiele design in any way to match better with the c90?

Now I need to keep an eye out for a vertical 2x12, this may be a long wait.

Anyone have any experience with the Mesa vertical 2x12????

Yup I own one, well technically mine is the DC-5/10 version, only difference between mine and the recto one is the logo plate and mine is in grey tolex.

Great cabinets, built like a tank , downside is I never use it because I have no heads that fit on top of it without hanging over that drives me crazy.

I own the horizontal 2x12 and in some ways wish I would have when with the vertical if I had my time back. The horz is not a bad weight but its awkward to carry as it only has the silly rubber handle at the top. I wondered why they didnt put the side pole-style handles on the horizontal - jeeze they have them on the mini rect cabs. Also, with a 2x12 horz it helps the tone if you can get it off the ground. This also makes it easier to adjust dials on your amp as its not 2 ft of the ground. The vertical takes care of all that.

Edit. Just noticed the 2x12 vertical is 15lbs more and slightly larger than the horizontal. Something to consider.

Ok, I'll weigh in on this. You're playing a 25watt ROV, right?

The Recto 2 x 12 is cool and the thiele 1 x 12 is also cool but the 2 x 12 is a bit much for just jamming.

I find that c90s don't really take to rectos well in most instances, the v30 is a more suitable match. Here's what I suggest: Order an Royal Atlantic 27" 1 x 12 extension cab. It's seriously the best sounding 1 x 12 I have ever heard. Now, order it with a v30 or a Fillmore 75. Either will work and you won't overpower them with your 25 watt head. The cab is smaller and lighter than a 2 x 12, and it will be easier to drive the single cone in it.

hey yellowjacket, again I admit I never noticed or even looked into many of these mesa cabs, I always bought used recto 2x12's as they were everywhere for sale. I never gave any of these cabs they build with other amp names a look even.
That royal 27 looks exactly what im looking for, I read some reviews around the net and it gets steller reviews.

I always preferd to buy used cabs as there are few problems to go wrong with them other than cosmetic flaws and obviously speakers which I swap out anyway. I may just have to contact Mesa directly.

Thanks

You won't be sorry, that's a pretty killer cab. I think they're what, $450 new? That plus tax is what I paid. Wouldn't be much more, if at all. I do think you'll be happier with a v30 or a fillmore 75 in there with the recto. The c90 that comes with the cab sounds excellent but I suspect that while it will co-operate with a recto, it won't enhance it like the more upper mid focused speakers do.

Back