there's one amp I'll never sell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
willrock said:
Boogie Woogie Man said:
I had a IIC+ for a while and loved it but I love my III even more, I prefer the clean sounds from the III and I use that 80% of the time.
why do you prefer the III? just curious. since almost everyone is raving bout the c+, i just wanna hear a breath of fresh air... :wink:
I never buy anything because everybody else raves about it, I buy it only because I like it. I had the MkII C+ which I bought cheap as the seller had just bought a new III. I had it for a couple of years then someone offered me a swap for a brand new III and some cash, I gigged the III for a couple of weeks and found the clean sound to be cleaner, more Fendery if you like and the lead channel on the III was certainly adequate for me.To be honest, I wouldn't swap my amp for anything, regardless of the price or "Holy Grail" stature, I have MY holy grail right here.

The Mark III's are phenomenal amps. I prefer them to the IV myself. They sound like someone is chewing your arm off without Novocain.

I 'll give it to my son (11) before I'd sell ever my mk3 red .
The first boogie amp I played thru was a 2C+ .... called Petaluma the next day .
They laughed and said "we dunna make that amp anymore laddie !" Can we interest you in this incarnation of the III ?
Now I have Boogie "combo arm " .
I love seeing folk's faces when they offer to take my amp to the car ..
Tis' just a wee thing . :lol:

BK

Great posts in this thead! I'm glad to see that the Mark III is so loved around here. I do tend to agree that the only thing I find just a little undesirable is the volume difference from r1 to r2. The r2 mod is on my list for sure. i've been living with it though and after awhile you just get used to using your volume pot on the guitar...no big deal really. Can't complain at all about the tones that come out of this amp though 8)

GIG4FUN said:
Koprofag said:
Thanks GIG4FUN. I actually prefer the Mark III just the way it is. But while it fits my playstyle, I definitely see why some people do the R2 mod.

I should have known that you were up on all the mods :)
I love my Mark III very much, and it knows.. (my wife knows this too!)

I wish you well.

GIG4FUN, you said you like your III, how do you compare it to your IIc+? just curious..

willrock said:
GIG4FUN said:
Koprofag said:
Thanks GIG4FUN. I actually prefer the Mark III just the way it is. But while it fits my playstyle, I definitely see why some people do the R2 mod.

I should have known that you were up on all the mods :)
I love my Mark III very much, and it knows.. (my wife knows this too!)

I wish you well.

GIG4FUN, you said you like your III, how do you compare it to your IIc+? just curious..

Gosh I wish I hadn't been asked that question! I have no idea what to say....(so I will ramble while I consider your question).

I am not a metal player, (I don't do scooped tone). My band plays classic rock covers. (I started playing age six - 1964) I grew up playing Fender tube amps. I started to get a lot of them and then the Marshall stuff and now only TWO boogies. Those two boogies bring all of the satifaction of all the other amps in small package with a very low noise floor. I have a difficult time decicing what amp to gig some nights. I have actually used the "coin toss" program on my Iphone to help decide. I have no preference because I have them sounding about the same.
We gigged 13 straight weekends just recently and I used the Mark III (combo format) for every one without a Thiele and I used the "Mesa Boogie tilt leg" on the combo to tilt it up like my fender tilt back legs.... I loved it every night.
I will use the C+ for a while starting this Saturday. My band plays a lot. I'll use the C+ for most of them coming up because I just got it serviced at Mesa Petaluma and it will have a renewed "sweet spot". (I had the Mark III serviced in Petaluma last July and that is what kind of started me gigging heavy with it.
I just keep going back and forth with them BUT I have not decided on the favorite of the two. Both of them give me pleasant interaction and I continue to find them both great fun to use. I have never felt that I brought the wrong one to a job.
I can honestly say that I receive continuous praise for "my guitar sound" from all of the area musicians with them both. A few weeks ago the venue had sound and we just bought in our backline. I used the Mark III and the soundman came up to me after a set and commented on how great it sounded. He said: "Isn't that one of those Carlo's Santana amps?" You see, in my area I am the only man gigging with Mesa Boogie gear!
Having done all of this rambling I have to say that my favorite one to run in the studio for personal practice and writing is..... the C+ It is more inspiring to me. On a gig I'll use either one with the same regard.

I'm very sorry this rambled so long.

Koprofag said:
rabies said:
if that's true then why is the Mark III mode missing in the Mark V?

Probably because it's supposed to sound like the IIC+ mode. :D
'Zackly. The Mark III just doesn't have the hyped "cache" that the IV does.
That's just fine, mo' cheap "Threes" for the rest of us!

Latest posts

Back