Mesa 50 / 50 power amp and pedalboard

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirp

Reaction score
Hi... Having just tried going directly from my pedalboard to one side of the power amp, I discovered that it works without a preamp. I got to thinking about it and the 50/50 does have preamp tubes that I assume would accept Hi-Z and line-level signals. So my question would be... after the Hi-Z signal at the start of my largish pedalboard works its way through signal boasts and line-level conversions on the way to the power amp, would it be logical to think that the signal is just fine at the power amp input jack?
I guess though (in the end) that the quality of the signal would not have the benefits of tone shaping that a preamp offers. So ideally, running a line out of an amplifier's head to the power amp input is still probably the way to go. Or maybe use an IR pedal?
Does anyone have a comment or experience with this?

I have used the line out of my .50 Caliber into the 50/50, and it works very well. This blends the power section of the combo or head with the 50/50 power amp. You could also use the effects send to use an amplifier's preamp section only. I preferred the line out.

A pedalboard straight into the poweramp is not unheard of.

An always-on pedal at the end of the board could set the pace for the rest of the signal chain.

Run through all your stompboxes, then lastly an ep booster always on, then to the poweramp. So there's something consistent driving the poweramp, even if all other effects are bypasses, it won't be only the guitar pickups trying to drive the poweramp.

Thanks for the replies guys... Since I happen to have an EP Booster I'll try it at the end of the signal chain.

15-ish years ago I ran stompboxes into a mesa 20/20. I don't remember my exact setup, but i believe I ran an mxr dyna comp always on.

Those power amps do have input gain stages with 12ax7, however, running only guitar passive pickups straight in leaves much to be desired. My opinion, at least one always-on stompbox should add flavor/character.

Update us with results when you get a chance

✔️✅🌎😎✝️✅🏆

I use a GT1000 into the 50/50 and 2 seperate 12" Black Shadow Celestions mini custom made cabs closed and insulated, adjusted settings of the preamps in the Gt1000. Play small clubs 2.5 volume or so. The sound/tones are real nice. People come up all the time and say they love the guitar sounds/tones playing.

Back