The truth about the Oversized Recto Cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
First of all, yes, this is the internet. Secondly, I realize that I need to drag my tuchis over to a music store and try some different cabs out.
But! I work everyday and cannot make it just yet, so on to the internet theory!! Yay!!

.. I keep reading (ad nauseum) how the standard recto cabs are flabby, farty, and loose sounding. Well, I've also noticed the same adjectives thrown about when describing the Dual Rectos in general. Let's put two plus two together...

Can it be these kids don't know how to set their amps in the first place. Sheesh, how many times have I heard some 13 year old whine about the "mushy" rectos? Well, there's got to be a reason most of the bands I am digging right now use these along with the oversized cabs as the back bone of their sound.

If I'm not careful, my 1960a can sound loose with the overall master and channel master on my DC-10 head set to 3/2.5 respectively, so I imagine that if some impatient dude fails to set the tone controls properly, some flab can be apparent...

Besides, "Get your ace to a music store, foo!" what are your thoughts on this? Discuss!

I had a two channel DR and almost bought a oversized recto cab, but it was the standard recto cab back in 95 when I was gonna buy it. I hated, I had to turn the bass to zero just so it wouldn't flub/fart out. I ended up buying a older Boogie half back 4x12 which to my ears sounded much better. Good luck with your search.

Man, then why in the hell would Boogie produce such a cab?? Mabe it's meant for fat sustaining chords more than palm-muted chunk?

Dude, is your cab the one with the metal grill and Black Shadow speakers? My friend has one beneath his MKIV head and I was amazed at the sound of my DC-3 head through it back in the day! Bass and chunk for days! I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those puppies.

~F
Ruining good moments since 1975

It just depends really...

I have a 3 channel dual rec with an oversized cab and I love it. I think they have the tendency to be loose flubby/farty with the stock 6L6's but you can get around it. Most people who say that don't want to spend an hour tweaking knobs to get the right tone dialed in and just declare them bad.

However they do have the tendency like I said to be that way.. there are lots of variables. In general I really like the cab and since changing tubes it responds completely differently than it did before.

what styles of music do you play? or what artists??

The rectos, IMO are more of a rhythm amp than leads. Unless you got a great guitar and settings, you can get an ok lead tone.

Best examples i can give you of Oversized vs. Small is

1) listen to nickelback "follow you home" on aol sessions. its worth looking up to hear how they got their recto to sound so good. they use oversize.

2) linkin park's new album has rectos, but smaller cab. more defined and to the point sound. check out "lying from you" or "dont stay"

3) most creed and alter bridge stuff. ie "take me higher"

3) i own an oversize, but have played with a smaller one at the store. I like both sounds. IMO, the smaller cabs are meant for the Marks. The big ones for recto. However, if your taste is the recifier TONE but you like speed metal and such, then go with the smaller cab, as itll instantly give you more articulation but it wont sound as big and huge chunk.

I used the oversize cab one time on stage in Houston TX at the Abyss with my old band Deadhorse, I had been using a cab that was a Hiwatt copy, but with celestion G-12-80 speakers from 1981, the bass in that cab is very tight and does not fart/flab out. My bassist who worked at Rokin' Robin brought the Recto cab to the show for me to use and I hated my tone the entire show, I had to keep going back to the amp to turn the bass down until it was at zero. I was running the stock 6L6's at the time. I bought a half back cab with the celestion/boogie black shadows and sounded 100% better. Then I changed out the tubes for Tesla EL34's ( the real Teslas) and again, the Recto sounded 100% better. I'd say go check one out and decide for yourself.

My issue with the farty/flabby sound is that 'someone' at Boogie thought that the 30W speakers sound good. Personally I cant stand 30W Celestions, They're too dark for my tastes. I did change my 30W's to Classic Lead 80's and the sound did improve. Maybe it's that we all grew up listening to 75W loaded Marshall cabs and that's the sound we subconsciously want to hear? That's another page... I will say that a Dual Rec plugged into a 75W loaded Marshall cab sounds phenomenal. Thus leading me to my cabs of choice...I use Genz Benz G-Flex cabs exclusively with my Rec's. They are loaded with the same cones and voice coils that Celestion uses when manufacturing their 75W speakers. Plus they are ported and throw air someting wicked. I've turned the bass up all the way on my rec's and have yet to fart out the 2X12 or the 4X12. I'm looking into KT88's to see what the buzz is all about. When I do I'll let ya'll know. Another thing about Boogie is the choice of tubes they use. I will say that the best sounds I've got from the rec's are when they were loaded with JJ's/Tesla. Carlos Santana swears by Chinese Ruby tubes... Go figure, but I don't agree with Boogie's choice on Speakers and Tubes. There I said it!!!

I forgot about the Genz Benz stuff- I played through a 2x12 that shamed my 1960a. I bet the 4x12 is the ticket for me.

Scott,

I remember hearing of your band back in the day. WTUL in New Orleans would play your stuff! You guys had some heavy *****!

I run a 3-ch Triple into 2 of the oversize cabs (V30's no less)...no problems as far as flub or looseness. Could be the extra headroom of the Triple, could be the JJ glass, could be that I've had this rig for 4 years so I know how to set it up, who knows?

I would like to load one cab with some different speaks, probably C90s or EVM's just for some added flavor, but the cabs are great like they are.

ive thought about that also. Many people grew up listening to Marshalls into marshall cabs. So its the sound you know and consequentially grew to like. Im still very young, and when i turn on the radio, everyone knows what comes out (mostly garbage, but some decent stuff). the stuff i grew to like is an ariculate recifier, but also i love when a band knows how to CORRECTLY EQ their thing when put into an oversize to bring out the best of the rig.

However, i also love listening to older rock, and metal, and thats all the tight cabs. So i have an affinity for both and probably may get a small cab in the far future when im more comfortable w. $$.

Don't forget technique here as well. When I got my Recto 2x12 i found it way to flabby.

I found that it sounded a lot tighter when I started using less palm pressure when muting

I sold my Over Sized recto cab for a marshall with greenbacks

I think its much more articulate and the bass doesn't sound all sloppy.

I setup my recto to the best posible and although it didnt sound bad

I feel the cabinet was holding the recto head back from its "best" sound in my opinion.

Tone is subjective, it's all personal. And personally, I have the "oversized" Recto standard cab! If I were to do it again, I might get the "smaller" traditional cab. I like the more compressed and mid-rangey punch of the smaller cabs. But I've compensated by running EL34's in my amp. Now I have that extra mid-punch with that open sounding cab, not bad! You must look at your entire signal chain when finding your tone, the cab is just one part!

I think the flub issue is more a function of the amp than the cab.

I think my oversize recto cab sound great with a variety of amps, but my dual rectifier flubs easily through my EVM and C90 loaded Thiele 1x12 cabs, 1960b Marshall cab and Mesa Recto 2x12 cab.

That's what I believe, too. My DC3 flubbed like a beached whale through my 2x12 recto cab! But my DC-10 is tighter than a rusted nut!

mangley said:
I think the flub issue is more a function of the amp than the cab.

I think my oversize recto cab sound great with a variety of amps, but my dual rectifier flubs easily through my EVM and C90 loaded Thiele 1x12 cabs, 1960b Marshall cab and Mesa Recto 2x12 cab.

Back