The Official DC Club

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibs. I get frustrated with my DC-5 a lot sometimes, but the next day when I plug it in it just totally slays. It's a love-hate sort of thing. They sound KILLER when tweaked, though.

jerseydrew said:
What if I used to own a DC amp? I know I'll be getting another DC-3 in the future. Can I be #0002 anyway?

hey hey hey !!!! look what i found !!!

back in Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:07 pm

jerseydrew said:
I've bought and sold many, many (Boogies and others) amps over the years, my DC-3 combo is the ONLY amp I'll never sell.

Please welcome MarkofXInts, member #0012, mrmax, member #0013 and Sixstringpsycho, member #0014!

How is everyone today? It'd be nice to get a run down of which Caliber or DC amp everyone is using and why they love it!

I own a DC-5 combo, one of the earlier models. I love it because it's powerful, punchy and gritty and just slays anything else i've demoed next to it. It's really versatile too and very responsive. I love the graphic EQ and the pull boost (although i don't use it) and the clean channel is the best i've ever heard. It's my second boogie. I owned a Roadster head before and played it through an Engl 4x12 but i found it a bit too complicated for me and wasn't a fan of the 3rd and 4th channels. I'm sure that if i could put my DC-5 next to my old Roadster i would prefer it, and for an amp i payed £500 for next to one i payed over £2k for, that's a major achievement in my book!

Awesome amp, a definite keeper! :D

I'm using a DC-5 combo that is one of the first 100 ever to be produced. I have used the amp for the past 5 years exclusivly and will never play another amp. The reason I love it so much is because it has killer versatility, shimmering cleans with plenty of heardroom and versatility in the clean channel for my style and taste. The lead channel *** enough power and gain for anything that I may wanna play. It isnt gonna nail death metal tones but thats not what I wanted it for, I can do anything from blues to jazz to early trash with this baby, its either going to my daughter or in the casket with me.....period.

Hehe awesome!

Does anyone know how to date an amp by its serial number?

Mine is DC-0181. Does that mean it's the 181st or something else? :shock:

blacklight_uk said:
Hehe awesome!

Does anyone know how to date an amp by its serial number?

Mine is DC-0181. Does that mean it's the 181st or something else? :shock:
Since mine is in my rehearsal space I cant remember the number on my head but i was curious and actually called the Mesa/Boogie customer service and had someone explain it to me and ID my amp and year. The reason I did this was because mine has plastic rocker switches not the metal toggles so i was curious on how old it was. Mesa told me the exact date it was assembled. I will give you the serial number when I go to my rehearsal space this week.

oh and all that was 5 years ago when i first got the amp so i cant really remember what the numbers mean but I can compare mine to yours

I have the Studio Caliber and love it. Mine is a later version with the contour feature, I believe it was made in 1997. It is rated at only 20 or 25 watts but sounds much louder to my ears. It also sounds fantastic when used with a Thiele cab. I really like the reverb, its much better than the Mark IV reverb in my opinion. I prefer the lead channel of the DC-2 over the Mark IV as well, it sounds a bit more loose to my ears and may have a touch more gain. I like the combination of power, portability, and tone. I have been hearing a lot about the DC-5 lately, if I ever get some extra cash I may look to acquire one of those next.

Back