The next Mark - what would we need?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the next Mark would not need new tones, it would be the user interface I'd like to see changed in a way where I could have 15 or so presets so I could quickly and easily utilize all the sounds possible in this amazing amp. I could easily find 7 usable tones on channel one alone. I'm not really talking about a Triaxis type look/feel, more something where you just dial in the amp and then push some kind of "save" button and assign it to a preset and you'd get every element of that setting ... mode ... EQ ... volume ... all of it with absolutely ZERO loss of tone.

That, to me, would be the perfect amp.

I would at least say that Boogie should be able to implement MIDI control just like on the JP-2C. And with this, they shpuld be able to store the settings of the voicing switches, just like Engl does it for example.

Midi ... Cab Clone ... oh yes, at the very least.

I would like to see them separate the effects loop and it's input control from the "Main Volume/Solo Volume" circuits.

I four cable a G system into my Mark V and when you adjust the "Main Volume" or kick in the "Solo" it changes the gain setting on the effects loop. WHY?

I set my Main Volume ... then I set my effect loop input volume for the G system. If I have to adjust the main Volume after that then I have to go back and re adjust my G systems input volume every time. And if I run the solo volume much over the main then everything goes crazy again when I kick that in.

We play Pink Floyd-ish material and I NEED my G system to respond well. I would think everybody using any type of effects would require a stable gain setting on the effects loop. NO other amp that I've ever played through does this and I don't understand why this one does.

I can make it work but it sure requires a lot of unnecessary knob twisting.

I'd like to see them put a better filter system on the channel changing relays to eliminate the popping sounds when changing channels.

I'd like to see them tighten up the delay on the reverb so that there isn't a long pause for the reverb to return after changing channels.

My list would be:
  • Midi
  • Reverb behind the FX-Loop(!!!)
  • CabClone
  • FX-Switch should turn the send of or on, not the return
  • EQ-LED should be BiColor just like the Expresses have (yellow=fader, orange=preset)
  • Switchable Loudspeaker-Outs like in the Roadking (Clean=Speaker A / Lead=Speaker B), maybe paired with two selectable CabClone-Settinge (CH1: Open Back, CH2:Vintage, CH3:Closed Back)
Not enough for a VI, but maybe a Mark V+?

Midi for the Mode-Switches would be perfect, if the Amp had motorized Pots and Faders... 8)
And you would only need one Set of Controls...
A Triaxis with Pots as Preamp, so to say...

midifail said:
  • FX-Switch should turn the send of or on, not the return

Not sure I get what you mean. The footswitch controlled FX switch bypasses both the send and return based on the schematic. And the back of amp FX Loop Disable disables the entire circuit around the loop, send, and output levels, also bypassing both.

If you switch the return, you can't enjoy a decaying delay after switching off the effect.

Correct.
And this is exact what the Mark V does: It cuts the Delay immediately, when you disable the FX-Loop.
Thats why i´d love to have the send switched off and not the return or the whole Loop.

I would like to see full midi capability and a Cab Clone. Most of all, though, I would like to be able to footswitch between the different modes. The same is true for any Mesa amp I own that has multiple modes per channel. To go from Mark IIC+ mode to Mark IV mode with a stomp on the floor would be pure heaven. Stored 5BEQ settings retrieved via midi would be amazing as well. Being able to run EL34s and 6L6s simultaneously also tops my list. The V is a difficult beast to top.

I personally wish the Mark VI would be simpler and tonally purer. I'd like to see the JP-2C platform used as I think it's basically perfect. Essentially a Simul-Class JP-2C is the Mark VI I'd buy.

You could shoehorn in a mini-switch per channel thus preserving Tweed mode on Channel 1, Crunch mode on channel two and IV mode on channel three - if the market demanded it. We already know that Crunch and IIC+ can co-exist on one channel as demonstrated by the 35 and 25, so this uses entirely pre-existing technology.

Alternatively keep the V as it is but add the JP-2C transformer, the JP-2C's IIC+ mode, MIDI and CabClone. It's much the same amp either way and would be perfect for me.

donnyboiler said:
Alternatively keep the V as it is but add the JP-2C transformer, the JP-2C's IIC+ mode, MIDI and CabClone. It's much the same amp either way and would be perfect for me.

I thought the JP-2C has a complete different circuit board.

Ulf2 said:
donnyboiler said:

I doubt they're that different, the iiC+, iV, V and JP-2C are all based off of the iiC+ circuit. Major differences would be the switching systems and the alternate modes and channels of the iV, V and JP-2C. That and the different power sections being either simul class or A/B power. If the V lost its ch1, edge and crunch crunch modes it's basically a switchable selection of iiC+ pull pot combinations and extreme mode is more of the same with the iV's negative feedback mod. Very minor deviations from the original circuit not withstanding. The JP-2C is basically 3 iiC's in one box. At least that's the way I understand it anyway, haven't seen a schematic for the JP-2C but I have for the iiC+, the iV and the V. Minor differences once you take away the extra modes and switching. The tranny's in the JP-2C are closer to the originals but I don't see any real reason why they couldn't be engineered into a new version of the V.

I would love to see a Mark Vi be similar to the V but with the AT7 mod and programmable modes, to basically make it a 9 channel amp! Only thing I don't like about that is to get all the controls, i.e. all tone controls, mode switches and EQ settings to be programmable you're basically looking at a re-voiced Triaxis.

In hindsight, maybe reintroducing the pull pots to allow the option of the pull deep, bigger coupling cap etc to the iiC+ mode ( but then that's what the iV mode is ), volume 1 control would be enough. I don't know, maybe the Mark series has reached its pinacle with the V and the JP-2C? Maybe a V+ with these mods would be enough? The progressive linkage thing is cool. Switchable line or instrument level loop would be nice. Hard one, pushing the realms of too much is too much here I think.

One thing I do know is, with the AT7 in my V I don't need a Mark Vi. The V covers all the ground I want to hear as it is.

I am late to this game but sounds like fun to play. Since we are dreaming I am going to go for pie in the sky version of Mark VI.

1) I would like to see the next mark series have push/pull knobs and switches to disable features. Ideally
-Presence defeat to set the tone controls like a vintage fender on the clean channel or how the the like the F-Series tone controls
-Preset graphic EQ settings like the triaxis with the option of using the graphic EQ. Even better if these presets can be saved and recalled.

2)Mid/Boost EQ on clean and crunch channels.

3)A dual rectifier or DC, F-Series thick high gain voice. Kind of like how some models of triaxis have a DR lead board.

4)2 discrete preamps like the old DC series but with 2 channels each that can be blended. This way you add a little thickness to your articulate Mark tones or add punch to your tweed or recto-ish tone.
-Channel 1a Mark IV Ultra Clean/Fat/Crunch Channel 1b Mark IIc+/Mark IV/Extreme
-Channel 2a Clean/Fat Channel 2b Dual Recto, DC or F thick compressed high gain.

5)Simulclass power

6)MIDI controlled footswitch with a rocker pedal to fade between channels 1 and 2.

So basically all of my favorite mesa amps rolled into one.

All I want is a volume 1 nob that isnt fixed so i can turn that to nine and add shred mode on top. Metallica tones like crazy.

Ulf2 said:
donnyboiler said:

Sorry, what I meant was that my ideal Mark VI would be a JP-2C with Simul-Class and maybe a couple more modes borrowed from the V - OR a V with the IIC+ mode and larger transformer from the JP-2C. So you see that would be the exact same concept approached from two different angles. The way I originally said it made it sound like I thought the V and JP-2C were practically the same amp - which is definitely not what I think.

Hope I cleared it up :)

If I did not say this before, having a dual mode power section: switchable between the Simul-Class 90W circuit and full Class A/B 100W. I prefer the Simul-class power for the clean channel but Class A/B for everything else (JP-2C is Class A/B). Of course having the 10W and 45W /50W modes available to go with it. Dual 5BEQ is a plus, a normal FX loop send level (instrument level vs line). If you can fit it, an additional Rectifier for use in 90W/100W power use and possibly a modern voice with some added circuitry to get that down and dirty Roadster tone for CH2. Would be cool if they added a 4th channel for the grunge / chug. Maybe step on the RoadKing and add progressive linkage with a pair of EL34 to provide up to 150W... Single OT (16/8/4/4) taps fine, selectable cab not really needed unless that is mandatory.

bandit2013 said:
Current amps:
TC-50, JP-2C, MK V, Roadster, RA100

Whow... you have a great amp choice there. Do you think, TC-50, JP-2C and MK V offer enough sound difference?
How does the TC-50 compare to the Stiletto Deuce (which I have)?

Ulf2 said:
bandit2013 said:
Current amps:
TC-50, JP-2C, MK V, Roadster, RA100

Whow... you have a great amp choice there. Do you think, TC-50, JP-2C and MK V offer enough sound difference?
How does the TC-50 compare to the Stiletto Deuce (which I have)?

I sent you a PM..... as I did not want to hijack this thread on an off topic opinion.....

Thanks!

Anyway to sum it up
So far I like the idea of having a Mark VI that includes the 4 channel concept of the Roadking 2.
Add MIDI, a bigger transformer and move around the voicings, maybe add a few and it'll be perfect.

bandit2013 said:
Skip the Mark VI and go directly to the VII or call it the VIIC (mark V combined with JP-2C) ?

Fine for me... I don't like the idea to purchase an JP-2C on top ... :)

Back