The Mesa Mark V is seriously the best sounding amps ever!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaj

Reaction score
Seriously! I have owned some amazing amps during the last 30 or so years and the MkV is among the best sounding amps I've ever had the pleasure plugging a guitar into. Repeat the last statement several times as this can be said of each channel and mode. They're each voiced so differently from the others that each is like a different amp altogether and each as amazing as the others. Some of these modes will, if configured to, cop the tone, feel, and drive characteristics of the most widely used classic amps (Fender, Marshall, Vox, & Mesa) but there's far more flexibility than just copping classic tones. With the level of control the user has over gain staging, EQ (pre and post OD), output class and power, headroom, and power supply entirely new voicings can be crafted and given any dynamic response desired. This is easily the most flexible all tube amp available anywhere offering options more likely to be seen together in a modeler than an amp. What amazes me most is that there's no sacrifice in tone for the flexibility - none whatsoever.

The Marshall, Fender, & Vox style tones are not identical clones of any given amp. Rather there's a fairly wide range of tones that can be dialed in to sound and feel very much like a variety of past amps from these manufacturers with shades between as well. I'm still learning how all of the options may be used interractively to achieve desired results but I now know enough to quickly dial in what I have in mind and sculpt it from there.

I can see how someone might be underwhelmed by this amp if they're not familiar with Mesa amps, Mark series in particular, as they are not simple plug-n-play amps. The controls are quite interractive and settings that look 'normal' for a Fender or Marshall amp could yield unpleasant results depending on how other seemingly unrelated controls are set. Once familiar though it should be easy for anyone to set the amp up for the desired sound. Set up right this amp should leave a wide perma-grin on any players face.

I've no doubt that this amp will turn out to be the most useful studio tool for guitar that I'm likely to ever use. Additionally I'm now far more likely to grab this amp for a jam than the Fuchs unless I'm in the mood for that particular tone and feel and I know with certainty that the music will all fit the Fuchs' voicing well. For any occasion where the music is likely to vary widely from blues to country to hard rock to fusion etc. the MkV will go with me, no question.

Ordinarily a new amp is auditioning here for a while before I make predictions about how long it will stay. The MkV gets a pass on this process - it's definitely here to stay (barring a financial crisis requiring drastic measures). If circumstances were to force me to sell an amp the Fuchs would be the last to go - it's been tuned specifically to fit my technique perfectly and it fits like a glove. I'm not going to go through that process again or spend the money required to do so again. It's done and it's mine for good. It would be hard to give up the Mesa but, being a production amp as is it could, and would, be replaced without issue. If both were production amps as they are the Fuchs would be the first to go. The Mesa is just as musical and expressive as the Fuchs and way more flexible.

I'm kind of excited about the Mark V. :D

Man... I agree wholeheartedly. I haven't had as many amps around as you have, but I love everything about the Mark V. Glad you are loving yours as much (or maybe more :) ) than I am.

Mine is out for repair right now and I hate it.. but they did loan me a Lonestar while I wait.

James_E said:
Man... I agree wholeheartedly. I haven't had as many amps around as you have, but I love everything about the Mark V. Glad you are loving yours as much (or maybe more :) ) than I am.

Mine is out for repair right now and I hate it.. but they did loan me a Lonestar while I wait.

Repair? That sucks! Do you know what failed at this point?

The Lonestar's are great sounding amps. Is it working out OK as a loaner (do you like it)?

Posted the details in another thread: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41374

Summary:

It got really noisy on channel 1 two days ago. Took it to Long and Mcquade yesterday (where I bought it), replaced (methodically, one at a time) all pre-amp tubes thinking it was probably just one of those. Noise didn't go away. No idea what the problem is and the store doesn't have Mesa tech, so they send it out to Yorkville sound (which is in Toronto area, as am I, and is an authorized Mesa repair center.) Should be fixed within a week or two at the most.

The Lonestar is **** nice. It sounds very good and will serve me well while it is here. But, it's not as flexible as the Mark V (and is not as loud as the Mark V but is loud enough) and I would say that it doesn't do metal distortion as well. No switchable EQ or Reverb either. Footswitch only has "Channel" and "Solo". I could easily get by with the Lonestar for *most* of my applications though... but the Mark V is definitely a step up.

Glad you like the Mark V. I've had mine for about 2 months and I love it. It does take some getting use to. It is definitely not a plug and play amp, there is some dialing involved. It is extremely versatile and handles the blues/country/classic rock bar music very well. It's a gig worthy amp. I'm still trying to fine tune it with my Lonestar head to see where each amp fits. I can't get it through my head to let the Lonestar sit idol as a backup. It's been sitting around but I want to use them both, like I'm Joe Bonamassa or something. I should be able to set up any sound I want, or close to it. I have a Fulltone Fat Boost and Fulldrive I used to use with the Lonestar. I should be able to back off on the pedals if I set it up right, keeping the Fat Boost for slight gain boost. Right now I think I'm going to get El 34's to put in the Lonestar to see if I can get a little more crunch/Brit sound and I'm set. I'm just uncertain as to how this will sound. I've never tried the El 34's before. I used to have the Blue Angel 6v6, El84's, and it sounded great. I sold it 6 years ago after graduating grad school like an idiot. I thought my band days where over. Worst move I've made with getting rid of gear. Anyway, glad you like the amp. I've been drawn lately to the tweed setting trying to get that thick organic tone. I'll back off on the guitar volume to clean it up. There are so many tones in the V it's amazing. I was very close myself to getting a Fuchs but I only had so much money to throw out. I decided to stretch it out by getting the Mark V which left money for a ES 339, and a new acoustic. The 339 and PRS DGT sound amazing through the amp so I'm not upset although I do like that Robben Ford, Larry Carlton Dumble sound that the Fuchs can get so close to. Maybe someday. Can I get close to those sounds with the Mark V?

I bought number 10 of 75 of the Limited Edition Sapel amps. I have never been so in love with an amp in my life. Everyday I play the amp I am just amazed at all the tones I can get from the amp. Small adjustments make huge differences. Best clean tone I've ever heard, can get roaring Marshall tone from Channel 2, and amazing crunch from 1, 2, and/or 3, to over the top High Gain. I keep my Strat and Les Paul within arms reach and go back and forth. Between the Mark V and those 2 guitars, there is not a tone that I can't get.

jonanderson23 said:
The 339 and PRS DGT sound amazing through the amp so I'm not upset although I do like that Robben Ford, Larry Carlton Dumble sound that the Fuchs can get so close to. Maybe someday. Can I get close to those sounds with the Mark V?

I haven't really tried yet. The Mark V is so flexible and responds well to changes in dynamics that I wouldn't be surprised if it can. I'll try to dial in something close to the Fuchs early this week and post the settings if I'm able to dial it in.

barryathome said:
I bought number 10 of 75 of the Limited Edition Sapel amps. I have never been so in love with an amp in my life. Everyday I play the amp I am just amazed at all the tones I can get from the amp. Small adjustments make huge differences. Best clean tone I've ever heard, can get roaring Marshall tone from Channel 2, and amazing crunch from 1, 2, and/or 3, to over the top High Gain. I keep my Strat and Les Paul within arms reach and go back and forth. Between the Mark V and those 2 guitars, there is not a tone that I can't get.

That's got to be a beautiful amp - the pics on the Mesa site are amazing!

Right now Channel 2 has got my attention. This morning I dialed in something very, very close to the Van Halen / Van Halen II 'brown sound'. I've since tweaked the settings for other Marshall type tones but I think the settings were as follows (this is through the 1x12 combo / C90 enclosure), Guitar used is a medium lightweight alder strat with maple/maple neck and Lindy Fralin Unbucker PAF bridge pickup:

Variac, 45 watt, Tube rectifier, Effects Loop on, EQ on Preset set to 9:00 (or EQ off - slight difference), Gain at 10:30, Master at full, Presence at 2:00, Treble at 1:30, Middle at 11:30, Bass at 10:30

Dead on? No, but real close, closer than many have gotten with Marshall and Marshall style amps. Dial back the Gain and you're in AC/DC territory. Nice! :)

Back