The Mark IV has Landed!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Well boys....after 15 weeks, my new Mark IV finally got here from Mesa :D And let me tell you...there is nothing like the smell of a brand new MEsa 8)

Let's just say I am COMPLETELY floored! Even more so then when I first demoed it. When I first tried a Mark IV and decided to buy it, I had only played the combo with an EV speaker. Now playing it through my traditional 4x12, I honestly can not believe what is coming out of this puppy.

First off....BOY IS THIS ONE LOUD! :shock: It must be a combination of both it's overall power, and how it cuts through the mix. With my rectifier and traditional 4x12, I always had the channel volume at 12 and the output at 12-1.....that is when the amp was powerful and present in the mix. I was jamming with my band yesterday, and I am cutting through just fine with the channel volume at 3 and the master at 1.5 :shock: ....I am honestly astounded by this amp...it justs through the mix like a knife, and sits so well it's not even funny.

Next.....TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, ARTICUTE, ARTICULATE,ARTICULE, DYNAMIC, DYNAMIC, DYNAMIC.....I can not express enough how perfectly those words describe this amp. Ofcourse, first thing I notice coming from a Rectifier is the perfect tracking....the amp is so tight, and I LOVE it that way....everything I play is perfectly clear, and the amp is not choking to catch up with me. It retains this PERFECT characteristic even in the LOW tunings....I have my Ibanez SZ tuned to C# Standard and Drop B....AMAZING! Flat out amazing! Everything is perfectly clear. I have yet to play such an articulate amp that transfers EVERY little nuisance to the speakers...pickslides...exactly how you pick....EVERYTHING! Attack the strings, and the amp grinds back....pull back, and I can get a clean tone on the lead channel without adjusting my volume....it's just unreal!

Now, to the overall tone on the channels. The clean channel has floored me...I spent this entire morning strumming and fingerpicking on the clean side of the amp....sparkle like a rectifier could never dream of. Honestly, I think Mesa should be ashamed of the clean channel they put on the rectifiers. After playing this, I can not believe they actually consider that clean. No muddiness and "overly warm" tone on the clean channel, where the bass notes overwhelm the entire chords....it is just beautiful.

R2 is also an awesome channel....I don't see why people complain about it so much....I have it set as a semi-dirty....not very heavy crunch, but it does get crunchy when I dig in....I love it! Basically covers the middle-ground on the amp for me!

And finally....LEAD.....all I can saw is WOW :twisted: This channel is honestly flat out BRUTAL. IMO, anyone that says the Mark IV can not get as aggressive as the rectifier is out of their mind. Even without hte GEQ, the lead channel is mean. Aggressive, tight, and very punchy. Put a "V" on the GEQ, and you have a tone that IMO takes the cake over a Rectifier 20x :shock: Slight mid-scoop, still more than enough to cut through, the bass REALLY starts to punch, and you are grinding like no other. On my PRS, it is unreal......on my low tuned Ibanez with Dimarzio Evos with HEAVY strings, it is honestly the meanest tone I have ever heard....the tightness and articulation really helps the Mark here.....IMO, the Recto's mudd really takes away from its aggressiveness.....this amp is PISSED OFF!

Overall, I am floored by this amp! The traditional 4x12 is a perfect match for the Mark IV IMO....with all the mids going, I honestly though it would be overally harsh, but it is somehow PERFECT.....not nearly as harsh as my rectifier always was.

There has been a lot of Rectifier vs. Mark IV talk as of late.....I own both right now....the Rectifier is on it's way out.....IMO, the Mark is 100x the amp the rectifier is....it simply does EVERYTHING better. This is all my opinion of course, but I do not miss a single thing on my recto.....the clean is better on the mark, and the gain is just as aggressive, only clearer and tighter. Mesa honestly made a heavenly piece 17 years ago when they put this bad boy out.

Overal, 4 months was nothing compared to how happy I am now :D

Here are some pics for you guys! Clips to come soon....school is keeping me VERY busy as of late, and I'm lucky enough to have some time to play it right now :oops:

DSC02294.jpg

DSC02298.jpg

DSC02305.jpg

DSC02310.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

Congrats, glad it finally arrived!

That first tour of the Mark IV in your own playing space with your own gear is the best.

Congrats on the amp :D I've been waiting 8 weeks on mine now. I hope it comes in soon. Have fun with your Mark IV

You will be back to the recto one day. Trust me there are just things the Recto can do that the Mark cant do, and vice versa there are certain things the Mark can do that the Recto cant do.

I love the fact that I own both, and I plan on keeping one of eac, plus my stiletto, I have all my grounds covered this way.

Honestly if you can afford it, wait till the honeymoon is over before selling the Rect, you never know you might just want it again some day. I have been where you are where I sold all my recto's, now I am back and love the tone more then ever.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Well boys....after 15 weeks, my new Mark IV finally got here from Mesa :D And let me tell you...there is nothing like the smell of a brand new MEsa 8)

Let's just say I am COMPLETELY floored! Even more so then when I first demoed it. When I first tried a Mark IV and decided to buy it, I had only played the combo with an EV speaker. Now playing it through my traditional 4x12, I honestly can not believe what is coming out of this puppy.

First off....BOY IS THIS ONE LOUD! :shock: It must be a combination of both it's overall power, and how it cuts through the mix. With my rectifier and traditional 4x12, I always had the channel volume at 12 and the output at 12-1.....that is when the amp was powerful and present in the mix. I was jamming with my band yesterday, and I am cutting through just fine with the channel volume at 3 and the master at 1.5 :shock: ....I am honestly astounded by this amp...it justs through the mix like a knife, and sits so well it's not even funny.

Next.....TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, ARTICUTE, ARTICULATE,ARTICULE, DYNAMIC, DYNAMIC, DYNAMIC.....I can not express enough how perfectly those words describe this amp. Ofcourse, first thing I notice coming from a Rectifier is the perfect tracking....the amp is so tight, and I LOVE it that way....everything I play is perfectly clear, and the amp is not choking to catch up with me. It retains this PERFECT characteristic even in the LOW tunings....I have my Ibanez SZ tuned to C# Standard and Drop B....AMAZING! Flat out amazing! Everything is perfectly clear. I have yet to play such an articulate amp that transfers EVERY little nuisance to the speakers...pickslides...exactly how you pick....EVERYTHING! Attack the strings, and the amp grinds back....pull back, and I can get a clean tone on the lead channel without adjusting my volume....it's just unreal!

Now, to the overall tone on the channels. The clean channel has floored me...I spent this entire morning strumming and fingerpicking on the clean side of the amp....sparkle like a rectifier could never dream of. Honestly, I think Mesa should be ashamed of the clean channel they put on the rectifiers. After playing this, I can not believe they actually consider that clean. No muddiness and "overly warm" tone on the clean channel, where the bass notes overwhelm the entire chords....it is just beautiful.

R2 is also an awesome channel....I don't see why people complain about it so much....I have it set as a semi-dirty....not very heavy crunch, but it does get crunchy when I dig in....I love it! Basically covers the middle-ground on the amp for me!

And finally....LEAD.....all I can saw is WOW :twisted: This channel is honestly flat out BRUTAL. IMO, anyone that says the Mark IV can not get as aggressive as the rectifier is out of their mind. Even without hte GEQ, the lead channel is mean. Aggressive, tight, and very punchy. Put a "V" on the GEQ, and you have a tone that IMO takes the cake over a Rectifier 20x :shock: Slight mid-scoop, still more than enough to cut through, the bass REALLY starts to punch, and you are grinding like no other. On my PRS, it is unreal......on my low tuned Ibanez with Dimarzio Evos with HEAVY strings, it is honestly the meanest tone I have ever heard....the tightness and articulation really helps the Mark here.....IMO, the Recto's mudd really takes away from its aggressiveness.....this amp is PISSED OFF!

Overall, I am floored by this amp! The traditional 4x12 is a perfect match for the Mark IV IMO....with all the mids going, I honestly though it would be overally harsh, but it is somehow PERFECT.....not nearly as harsh as my rectifier always was.

There has been a lot of Rectifier vs. Mark IV talk as of late.....I own both right now....the Rectifier is on it's way out.....IMO, the Mark is 100x the amp the rectifier is....it simply does EVERYTHING better. This is all my opinion of course, but I do not miss a single thing on my recto.....the clean is better on the mark, and the gain is just as aggressive, only clearer and tighter. Mesa honestly made a heavenly piece 17 years ago when they put this bad boy out.

Overal, 4 months was nothing compared to how happy I am now :D

Here are some pics for you guys! Clips to come soon....school is keeping me VERY busy as of late, and I'm lucky enough to have some time to play it right now :oops:

DSC02294.jpg

DSC02298.jpg

DSC02305.jpg

DSC02310.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

Btw....a little PS....

HIGHLY recommend the Weber Beam Blockers for the Mesa cabs....the V30s have a HUGE Ice-pick.....it's inheritent in the speaker....these things killer it perfectly...no matter where I stand in orientation to the cab, the tone is nice and balanced....HIGHLY recommended.

And to Siggy....honestly, I don't think it will just be a honeymoon....I honestly have had a lot of trouble with my recto since day one....just always had a complaint about it's tone...the Mark is everything I've ever been looking for.

I even prefer the looks of the Mark too!

I don't want to keep the Recto....honestly....I hate it :lol:

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Next.....TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT, ARTICUTE, ARTICULATE,ARTICULE, DYNAMIC, DYNAMIC, DYNAMIC.....I can not express enough how perfectly those words describe this amp.

That's exactly what forced me to get one. The notes jump off the speaker cones like I'd never heard. Very musical.

Congrats, good luck and enjoy!

Frank

It got here on Tuesday...I picked it up on Wednesday. :D It was a 15 week wait from the day I ordered.

Wow finally, I'm surprised you survived the wait. Turn the beast up and let your balls flap frantically. :twisted:

I'm glad it is everything you have ever wanted! I'm still loving mine that's for sure. It sounds better as you crank it up BTW... You've only heard the tip of the toneberg (if you will)....... ;)

I'm glad your wait is over, finally!!! It is a great amp,.. you will be pleased for a very long time.

After 7 months of the mark I'm ready to sell my rec too!!!

8)

Congrats! I am glad to hear that you finally got it and that you love it so. I am still playing mine even with my 2 ch DR on the back burner for now. Like siggy said though there are some things a Mark just can't do that your DR can. It is called looseness and depth. I find that my DR just seems to reach down a little lower. That being said, I still love my Mark IV for the reasons you said above: the tight, articulate and dynamic nature of the amp.

The amp looks great! I am getting my second Mark IV (short head) along with a thiele cab to have as a new Japan rig. I thought I was the only one that liked the amp even with the EQ off in the lead channel! I can't wait to get to use a Mark IV again (i have a wide combo sitting at my parent's house) and I really miss the variety of tones. I can just sit there and tweak all day.

I just sold a RK I, TA, and soon will sell my Quad/290 in favor of the Mark IV. The mark series is where MY tone resides and the Mark IV is one of the best 'all in one' amps IMO without going over the top with too many options (unlike the roadking or TA for instance).

Good luck with dialing it in. Make sure you try all of the variations of the pull pots and don't be afraid to experiment with the settings!

I am going to have to work on R2 as I dialed it to an 'OK' setting but I would have liked to get it much better. Maybe paired up with the Thiele or my 212 halfback cab will provide me with good results. A BB O/D pedal might be next on the wish list for R2. When I used R2 with a single coils I really like it much better (it had just enough grit and bite to make the tone jump out at you) but my main guitar is a parker fly.

You might want to look at trying a halfback cab with some EV's on the bottom.

Greg

mmmmm......new amp smell.

It looks so...clean, and perfect. Vintage if you will, because of the original "boogie" logo.

Enjoy it man. Marks are the sickest thing out there! The wait must have killed you.

By the way Ibanez, how are you liking your new wah? Didn't you get a Bad Horsie II a while back? How do you like it over the Tremonti power wah? I eventually want a good wah and was looking at the Tremonti, but the Bad Horsie looks more versatile.

Guys...I LOVE the Mark...everything about it.....tone....looks...my rig is now perfect!

Well, I went through a HUGE way ordeal, so let me share my findings.

I started with a Tremonti....good, but not enough wah for my tastes....it acted more like a gain and treble boost, especially in High gain modes.

I then tried the Dimebag Crybaby from Hell....HORRIBLE....such a bad wah...I can't understand why people like it....thin, nasally, and again, barely did anything in high gain settings.

I then went back to Morley with the Bad Horsie II and am sold....clean to high gain, it has the most vocal and expressive sweep I have ever heard. Very big sweep, and honestly, it gives you soo much control and expression that I was floored. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Latest posts

Back