The C+ Mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdgiffin

Reaction score
Those of you with Mark Vs and have had experience with original C+'s, how does the Mark V mode compare?
I've always loved the C+ tone but they are really expensive. If the Mark Vs C+ is comparable, then getting a V may make more sense as, for the price, it's a more versatile amp.

Any insight? Thanks.

S|G

There have been a few posts about this on the forums, it appears that most people are ok with it. Download the PDF of the manual and read page 14 to get an idea of the work they did to make it happen. Lastly, I guess, if John Petrucci thinks it is good enough to use....

SIG...I am getting mine this week hopefully-I will be spending a lot of time in the next few weeks comparing-is page 14 just marketing hype??Will it live up to the hype??I personally hope its has its own mojo/not just a sterile copy-I have liked what I have heard so far...

lesterpaul said:
SIG...I am getting mine this week hopefully-I will be spending a lot of time in the next few weeks comparing-is page 14 just marketing hype??Will it live up to the hype??I personally hope its has its own mojo/not just a sterile copy-I have liked what I have heard so far...
It'd be great to get your opinion. I want to get a IIC+, but if the V is close (according to those who have both), I'd consider a V for the versatility. I'm really looking forward to hearing from guys who have both. I know it's early but so far, I haven't heard any V clips that sound like the IIC+ clips, so I'm concerned.

no problem,Freefall-I will shoot straight-I have no reason to shoot down the V..after all, I am buying one myself and I want a versatile kick *** amp so I can leave the C's under lock and key-I am looking for a work horse, much like the IV, but hopefully with a more versatile chan. 2-I was happy with the IV in terms of a giggin' amp(got really close with the lead channel to a C+..different feel, but close enough for me!)
will keep you posted, but look for comparisons on vintage forum :)

lesterpaul said:

Awesome Lester. Thanks a ton.

P.S. Love the avatar.

sdgiffin said:
lesterpaul said:

P.S. Love the avatar.
thanks!!its a Gov't Mule thang!!(originally the cover to the "Dose" album)

When the Mark IV was discontinued last year and before they announced the Mark V there was a lot of speculation on what was going to be their new release. They said something big would be announced in a few months so the Mark IIC+ reissue vs. Mark V debate began.

A couple guys that I know who are in tight with the Mesa folks all of a sudden put their original IIC+'s up for sale. This led me to believe that a IIC+ reissue was coming out. Now we know it was the Mark V with the IIC+ mode. The fact that those guys, just upon hearing the plans for how spot on the Mark V would be to the IIC+, sold their IIC+'s tells me that they are the same thing for the most part. To me, the IIC+ mode is what I use 100% of the time now and I was a confirmed Mark IV guy. It is good enough to use over my favorite tone in the world. You will not be disappointed.

lesterpaul said:
sdgiffin said:
lesterpaul said:

P.S. Love the avatar.
thanks!!its a Gov't Mule thang!!(originally the cover to the "Dose" album)

Yeah man. Warren Haynes is the ****!

mystidream said:
MarkIVwidebody said:
The V is a IIC+ and more.......at least that's what they tell us, right?

After playing the V for a good almost 3 hours, I disagree. Not even close.

I think it's close and I've owned 2 IIC+'s since 2000. I'm going to post some old IIC+ clips i made and I bet i can nail them with the V. I don't think it's 100% accurate but it's close. A lot closer than the IV came, that's for sure.

from the beginning i think i was like one of the first to know that the mark 5 was gonna happen.i actually put in a order for a new head a few weeks before Namn(people were still doubting me)...
After Namn the whole question about the C+ mode was a question for all of us and most of the C+ owners didn't think it was possible due to different parts etc...
now that the amp is out to the public,I was told The C+ mode is all hype!
it doesn't have that tightness of a IIC+ Nor does it have the response and even worse it sounds too tinny,to thin!
Now i haven't played one yet and held off on adding money to the order
but as a lead players prospective(i'm disapointed)..
now i know why john's 5's are getting modded and basically he hinted to me that the mod will NOT be for the public :(
I'm just going to cancel the order which the store owner already must know(a friend of mine)
BUT,My IIC+ will always stay with me and it's just a work horse of a amp!
Honestly how can any thing compare...
as far as thinking the Mark IV can pull of IIC+ tones(me for one never thought that but I think the Mark III Red stripe most def get close)!
so Mark III RS owners,keep em"
Gas is always a ***** but don't believe the Hype!
IIC+ FOR THE WIN!!! :D
Richb

richb said:
from the beginning i think i was like one of the first to know that the mark 5 was gonna happen.i actually put in a order for a new head a few weeks before Namn(people were still doubting me)...
After Namn the whole question about the C+ mode was a question for all of us and most of the C+ owners didn't think it was possible due to different parts etc...
now that the amp is out to the public,I was told The C+ mode is all hype!
it doesn't have that tightness of a IIC+ Nor does it have the response and even worse it sounds too tinny,to thin!
Now i haven't played one yet and held off on adding money to the order
but as a lead players prospective(i'm disapointed)..
now i know why john's 5's are getting modded and basically he hinted to me that the mod will NOT be for the public :(
I'm just going to cancel the order which the store owner already must know(a friend of mine)
BUT,My IIC+ will always stay with me and it's just a work horse of a amp!
Honestly how can any thing compare...
as far as thinking the Mark IV can pull of IIC+ tones(me for one never thought that but I think the Mark III Red stripe most def get close)!
so Mark III RS owners,keep em"
Gas is always a ***** but don't believe the Hype!
IIC+ FOR THE WIN!!! :D
Richb

Of course i wouldn't expect any IIC+ owner who dished out a lot of money to admit or think that the V can get close. And chances are the people trashing the IIC+ on the V probably haven't even played a IIC+, not meaning you since you own one.

But remember how bad the IV was trashed for anyone even thinking it was in the same league as a IIC+. Now, they're seen as this iconic amp. And i think it's way too early to tell with an amp that just came out with fresh tubes in it to compare it to amps that have been around for 25 years.

richb said:
Richb

oh man that is like a steel capped boot kick in the nuts to me... the first truly disheartening thing that has made my incoming amp a little less special.

I've never played the Mark IIc+ itself and cannot comment on how the C+ mode compares to the IIc+ amp itself but I will say one thing. After playing the C+ mode on the Mark V, I know that it is a darn good channel. I went through the phase where I thought the mode sucked big time but then I did the only thing I could think of and that was to trust my ears and not the settings in the manual. The manual settings sound like horseS%^& to me. Remember most all of Mesa's testing for tone is done using single coil strats (if I remember right) and guitars with humbuckers need completely different EQing to sound good.

I love the C+ mode now and prefer it over the IV and Extreme modes. In fact I haven't played the other modes since I got the IIc+ mode to sound the way I wanted it to. Another thing to note about the IIc+ mode is the gain setting. You will need to have the gain knob around 3:00 or more to avoid getting the feeling that you're "fighting with the strings." I wish this channel had a little more gain to it. Once I juiced it up with a clean boost in the front my gain setting is now rolled back to 2:00 and I have a great sounding mode. Last night I was jamming along to "Pull me Under", "Learning to Live", and a few other songs and I swear I sounded like Petrucci minus the talent :lol:

For the curious, my settings are:

Guitar: EBMM JP6
Cab: Rectifier 2x12
Channel, Mode - 3, Mark IIc+
Watts: 90, full power
Channel switch - Bright
Gain - 3:30 and upwards
Master - 10:00
Presence - 10:00
Treble - 1:30
Mid - 11:30
Bass - 10:00
Rectfier - Triodes

EQ settings: Gentle V (Fist and 5th sliders half way to the top, second and fourth in the middle, and the third slider is halfway to the bottom)
Clean boost: Any OD pedal, no drive, volume maxed out, and tone around 12:00 - 2:00. Roll the gain back on the amp if you're using a boost.

richb said:

Did I miss something in another thread? Petrucci is getting his Mark V heads modded?

Supreeth said:
I've never played the Mark IIc+ itself and cannot comment on how the C+ mode compares to the IIc+ amp itself but I will say one thing. After playing the C+ mode on the Mark V, I know that it is a darn good channel. I went through the phase where I thought the mode sucked big time but then I did the only thing I could think of and that was to trust my ears and not the settings in the manual. The manual settings sound like horseS%^& to me. Remember most all of Mesa's testing for tone is done using single coil strats (if I remember right) and guitars with humbuckers need completely different EQing to sound good.

I love the C+ mode now and prefer it over the IV and Extreme modes. In fact I haven't played the other modes since I got the IIc+ mode to sound the way I wanted it to. Another thing to note about the IIc+ mode is the gain setting. You will need to have the gain knob around 3:00 or more to avoid getting the feeling that you're "fighting with the strings." I wish this channel had a little more gain to it. Once I juiced it up with a clean boost in the front my gain setting is now rolled back to 2:00 and I have a great sounding mode. Last night I was jamming along to "Pull me Under", "Learning to Live", and a few other songs and I swear I sounded like Petrucci minus the talent :lol:

For the curious, my settings are:

Guitar: EBMM JP6
Cab: Rectifier 2x12
Channel, Mode - 3, Mark IIc+
Watts: 90, full power
Channel switch - Bright
Gain - 3:30 and upwards
Master - 10:00
Presence - 10:00
Treble - 1:30
Mid - 11:30
Bass - 10:00
Rectfier - Triodes

EQ settings: Gentle V (Fist and 5th sliders half way to the top, second and fourth in the middle, and the third slider is halfway to the bottom)
Clean boost: Any OD pedal, no drive, volume maxed out, and tone around 12:00 - 2:00. Roll the gain back on the amp if you're using a boost.

Set the treble knob higher for more gain. It acts like a gain control when it's set high. On my old IIC+ amps i usually left the treble knob up on 9. I don't use oclock terms :D . Just use the EQ sliders for overall tone.

Man you guys-don't forget guitar differences. I have a Schecter 8 string with 808's and my friend has an LTD with 808's. My guitar has so much more low end and ballsiness that my friend is selling his to get a white version of my black cherry Hellraiser. We A/B'd these guitars with a VHT, ENGL, Diezel Herbert. My guitar sounded better every time.

Back