That's it. Deep mode's off.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
I wrote about this before but now I'm certain. The last time didn't last long.

After a couple of weeks rocking with the Mesa rig I fired up my Marshall rig and A/B the tones a little to find out my boogie has way too much "***" to it. This occurred to me when we were recording last week... I just fired the Mesa up and the producer went "woah, too much lows man!".

I was afraid that if I turn Deep off I would lose the all lows but I just bumped the Bass up and I finally heard my tone as it should be. With the Deep on it just doesn't rip and roar like it should, there's just a lot of lows and "soft" highs and in a band mix it kind of disappears. Not to mention all the tones I recently came up with didn't have the Deep mode engaged and it still sounds great.

With Deep off, the mids roar, the highs scream and when I thunk there's this urgent attack I've been looking for.

My question for y'all is - to Deep or not to Deep?

I don't use it either, unless it's just playing on my own. In a band setting, I don't use it at all. As you say, too muddy and muffled, gets lost in the mix.

Deep can sound cool with some clean tones, but for high gain I find it just sounds tighter and better without it.
For me I am referring to the Triaxis with 2:90. The recto "mode" might be the exception to that statement. In the end what ever sounds good for ya, sounds like you've made a break through.
In a band setting finding that spot where the guitar just sits perfect in the mix is awesome, and for that to happen you gotta let the bass do the bass thing and so on.

Thanks for your posts, guys. Glad to see it's not just me!

Yeah, breakthrough's the word it sounds nice and tight now with enough bump to be noticed. My Marshall always sat perfectly and I was surprised at how subdued the boogie sounded in a mix. It was definitely the überbass' fault, and the fact that our other guitarist has an ENGL Powerball set to a pretty low-heavy tone too didn't help either. Finally I'll be able to complement his tone with my Mesa too! :D

BTW The Recto mode to me is an exception because it stays urgent without getting boomy and there is just so much filth involved that the low end "stays put". The Mark tones have a certain sophistication to it, and it's nice the TA has this mode - it's the most murderous tone I've ever heard coming from my speakers :twisted:

I have the deep mod on my 20/20 on push-pull pots, so I can engage it at any time to see what sound I like better. I used it here and there with my Marshall cab, but since I got my Genz Benz G-Flex, I never use it. For me the mod was never as good as the hoopla around it, but it does work nicely when I am using my 20/20 for bass in small places.

Tripoutski said:
I have the deep mod on my 20/20 on push-pull pots, so I can engage it at any time to see what sound I like better. I used it here and there with my Marshall cab, but since I got my Genz Benz G-Flex, I never use it. For me the mod was never as good as the hoopla around it, but it does work nicely when I am using my 20/20 for bass in small places.

I think it works for the 20/20 because that amp was always considered a little deficient in the bass response - hence the development of the Deep Mod for the 20/20. The 2:90 has a pretty good response across the frequency range so using the deep mod is often too much - especially if there is a lot of bass in the mix already. It's nice to have the option there, but I find myself barely using it.

i have a 20/20 and my buddy has a 290....he loves massive "***" in his sounds......and when sitting around just jamming alone they do sound good.....i always tried to explain to him that his sounds would not work in a recording setup (i own a studio and produce)......he always argued with me until he started recording on his own and realized that you have to carve out space for the other instruments and then when blended together they form a sonic wall that is pleasing.....he now realizes that my 20/20 has more than enough *** to produce awesome recorded guitar tones.

i dont think peopel realize when they listen to famous recordings how little "***" some of the best tones of all time have.......listen to;

old van halen
david gimour
angus young

and many many others and you will realize that those tones were not *** heavy and worked so well because of the band mix.

Would there be exceptions when recording spots in a song where it is just guitar? Have a monstrous guitar sound, but then when the rest of the band enters, use some automation on EQ's, no deep engaged, etc...?

tedsticle said:
Would there be exceptions when recording spots in a song where it is just guitar? Have a monstrous guitar sound, but then when the rest of the band enters, use some automation on EQ's, no deep engaged, etc...?

Yes. That's why I mentioned that I only tend to use deep mode when I'm playing on my own. I wouldn't bother switching it on and off during a song in a live gig. I might record a section on deep mode though.

I did my TriAxis playthrough video with the Deep on with all the hi-gain modes and it sounded fine, a little bassy but not over the top. Once we got to recording in a mix (drums/bass 2 other guitar tracks) there was way too much lows so I had to turn it off and it felt so awesome to play - that's what had me thinking and tweaking in the first place.

Im always stuck on that dilema myself...I do find that the deep is nice by yourself, and off w/ pull bass shift when in a band setting....but my quad is one of those that the bass and deep functions work differently on the top & bottom row of quad..

Littleb said:
Im always stuck on that dilema myself...I do find that the deep is nice by yourself, and off w/ pull bass shift when in a band setting....but my quad is one of those that the bass and deep functions work differently on the top & bottom row of quad..

To use pull deep on channel 1 use the "A" output
To use pull deep on channel 2 use the "B" output

dbone said:
Littleb said:

To use pull deep on channel 1 use the "A" output
To use pull deep on channel 2 use the "B" output
thats exactly how my quad works,..there is another thread on the quads' ch a/b differences, especially w/ the pull knobs...good info..thanks

Latest posts

Back