swap the express for a mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage8190

Reaction score
I'm not getting much feedback in the Express forum so I thought I'd post in here. I'm having some issues with the 5:50 I just bought, and I'm bringing it back. I see there has been a number of issues with the Express, would it be worth my while, for the sake of reliability, to upgrade to the Mark V instead of swapping for another Express?

I actually do prefer the features of the Mark V, and like that it has more high gain tones, but I'm also quite happy with the express, especially its lower price.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

i think it might be worth some extra money to get something you would like more and wouldn't second guess....that buyers remorse can be a *****.

savage8190 said:
I'm not getting much feedback in the Express forum so I thought I'd post in here. I'm having some issues with the 5:50 I just bought, and I'm bringing it back. I see there has been a number of issues with the Express, would it be worth my while, for the sake of reliability, to upgrade to the Mark V instead of swapping for another Express?

I actually do prefer the features of the Mark V, and like that it has more high gain tones, but I'm also quite happy with the express, especially its lower price.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think the express is really nice. epecially for the price. It does cover alot of ground and has a sweet unique tone.

The question is, can you get the express tone and MORE, from the mark V.

AND.. would it be worth the extra money...

If you can afford it, then Id say the answer is yes. The MV can take you to all sorts of places, all within itself. There are tones in there waiting to be discovered. Try to buy a MV at a place with a decent return policy and shred it for a few days (stright :)) and see what happens...

Good luck!

Should I trade my 13" black and white tv in for a 52" plasma? Should I trade in my cavalier for the Corvette? Should I marry the deafmute, swimsuit model who owns the liquer store? YES!!!! :mrgreen:

ryjan said:
Should I trade my 13" black and white tv in for a 52" plasma? Should I trade in my cavalier for the Corvette? Should I marry the deafmute, swimsuit model who owns the liquer store? YES!!!! :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was great.

Seriously though, I think I will bite the bullet and do it. Hell, if I dump that kind of money into a guitar, why not into an amp.

Good points by everyone...I think if I didn't I would have some buyers remorse after my return period was over. And if it can do the Express tones and more, then it can grow with me for a long time.

I only wish I could lock myself away in a room with it for a few days. My wife would likely kill me.

I guess then i could be buried with it though... :shock:

Good choice sir. If money is a concern then I would strongly suggest that you play an Electa Dyne before slapping your money down. The heads are only $1600 and the combos are $100 more.

ryjan said:
Good choice sir. If money is a concern then I would strongly suggest that you play an Electa Dyne before slapping your money down. The heads are only $1600 and the combos are $100 more.

Ya I looked at them, but I like the idea of having the 10watt mode. Good for recording, great for not getting yelled at by said wife... :)

savage8190 said:
ryjan said:

Ya I looked at them, but I like the idea of having the 10watt mode. Good for recording, great for not getting yelled at by said wife... :)

+1 on that. we need all the help we can get!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it's just for reliability sake, exchznge your Expres for one with out issues. They're generally very reliable amps. I love my Express 5:50. A Mark V would be great but, not only is it a lot more expensive, but I can't move one around and I don't need more complexity than an Express.

savage8190 said:
Seriously though, I think I will bite the bullet and do it. Hell, if I dump that kind of money into a guitar, why not into an amp.

Most logical thought I have seen in a while.

Do you want a MKV? Would you look if Scarlett Johansnen dropped her bikini top? Really? Really...

If you can afford it, feel a clear vision to do so, go for it. If you have the money and don't get it, something else will come along and gobble it up. Wife, kids, a sudden urge to give to charity... My MKV is the best amp I have ever plugged in to. It is a wonderfully complicated amp if you want to flip every switch and turn every knob, but fairly easy to find a good tone in a few minutes tweaking. It is very responsive to the guitar you play, my Rectfier swallows up some of the guitar tone and it all comes out sounding RECTO. MKV has a nice clean, all the various rock, metal, and with a decent boost gets fairly gnarly. Swapping out the 6L6's for EL34s it gets into Electradyne/Marshally tone for a change up. The only thing bad about owning a MKV is when you go the music store, nothing there is as good as your home rig.... :lol:

FWIW, the Mark V in 10 watt mode can be set to lower volume levels that the Express in 5 watt mode, and it sounds great doing it, even with the high gain voicings. I had a 5:25, and believe it or not the Mark V is more apartment-friendly.

salvatruco said:
Jacko123 said:
You know you want to :)

I smell a new mark V member coming soon!!!!!!!!! :idea:

You have a keen sense of smell sir. Well thanks for all the input everyone, its just what I needed to push me into a new realm of brokeness :D . I picked up the Mark V combo last night, there is no comparison between this and the Express...this thing will get the tones of the Express, yes, but it has SOOOO much more to offer. Just from my first impressions (well first at home, I've played this thing a couple times at the store), I don't think I will ever regret buying this amp.

And I agree with you SteveO, this amp definitely do a lower volume than the Express, but it still sounds awesome. At the same time though its mind blowing at the higher volumes (literally, I was scraping my brains off the wall after I met the 90 watt setting). And I never even realized the stupid amount of features it had...

I'll just leave it at that. Back to "work" (and by that I mean pretending to work whilst I read this book of a manual :) )

savage8190 said:
salvatruco said:
Jacko123 said:
You know you want to :)

I smell a new mark V member coming soon!!!!!!!!! :idea:

You have a keen sense of smell sir. Well thanks for all the input everyone, its just what I needed to push me into a new realm of brokeness :D . I picked up the Mark V combo last night, there is no comparison between this and the Express...this thing will get the tones of the Express, yes, but it has SOOOO much more to offer. Just from my first impressions (well first at home, I've played this thing a couple times at the store), I don't think I will ever regret buying this amp.

And I agree with you SteveO, this amp definitely do a lower volume than the Express, but it still sounds awesome. At the same time though its mind blowing at the higher volumes (literally, I was scraping my brains off the wall after I met the 90 watt setting). And I never even realized the stupid amount of features it had...

I'll just leave it at that. Back to "work" (and by that I mean pretending to work whilst I read this book of a manual :) )
Congrats and welcome to the club :wink:

SteveO said:
FWIW, the Mark V in 10 watt mode can be set to lower volume levels that the Express in 5 watt mode, and it sounds great doing it, even with the high gain voicings. I had a 5:25, and believe it or not the Mark V is more apartment-friendly.
I've got both and the only reason I'm keeping my Express 5:25 is as a grab'n'go when I'm running into a jam in one load... I play my Mark V at home all the time now, and the Express sits unloved with my SFDR and other "keeper" amps along the wall in my basement hallway...

So ya, get the Mark V...

congats on your new V, you are gonna LOVE it

so what do you think of fat bold on channel one?

Latest posts

Back