Surf Tone on a Mark

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betos

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a good surf music sound from an early Mark? Either a II or a III, both with REV and EQ?

Does anyone have any recommendations how to dial in such a sound?

Thanks,
Betos

Vol 1 = 6
Treble = 7
Bass = 2, pulled for Bass Shift
Mids = 0
Master = As high as possible for clean headroom, pulled for Deep
Lead = Does Not Compute for Surf Music
Lead Master = See Above
Presence to taste.
GEQ = All sliders just above the center line, the use the center 750 slider to dial out the desired amount of mids for that blackface scoop.
Switch out the 9AB2A1B reverb tank for a 4AB2A1B for a splashier 'verb, or get a Boss FRV-1 pedal for even more reverb.
A Jensen C12K will get a cleaner Fender-type sound than the EVM 12L, but he EV will work, too, but with a taste more breakup.

Thanks for the recipe MrMark. Finally got a chance to try it out and it worked well.

Gracias,
~Betos

I love my Boogies but they would be the last amp I would turn to for Surf. Get a good clean fender amp with a cavernous reverb (perhaps an outboard fender reverb) as the last thing Mesa is known for is good deep tank reverb sounds.

Your right about the reverb rev, but that's actually one of the effects I don't mind adding outboard, like the Fender unit. Tremolo too.

Or I might try Mr.Mark's suggestion and swap out the tank.

Latest posts

Back