Studio 22

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My .22 kicked azz last night! It was great! I love it! Looks like my ValveKing is my new backup! This little thing can rip'n'roar!!

Your right there, it did kick azz last night!!! It is almost impossible to get the sound, response, and feel from anything other than a good BOOGIE!! Which, to me, is ANY BOOGIE!! :D

heavyfnd said:
Your right there, it did kick azz last night!!! It is almost impossible to get the sound, response, and feel from anything other than a good BOOGIE!! Which, to me, is ANY BOOGIE!! :D
You found the Boogie Board!! I did actually get a couple of complements on my tone! I got you some $$! Joey was out of control last night!! Welcome aboard the Boogie Board!

It took me a minute to figure out the fnd, but alas I am mentally challenged at times!

Just recieved my Studio 22+ about three weeks ago and gigged with it last weekend. I am very please with the amps performance. The clean is a little warmer than the Rocket 44 but, still in the ball park. The distortion is a little more open than the 44 and you can hear these 2 amps are very closely related. I have the Vintage 50 in it but, will gig with a Eminence Red Fang in it the next gig. It is a keeper. My friend who is a gearhead loved the sound and simplicity of the amp.
I have put in the V2 slot an american 5751 preamp tube and the driver an american 12AT7 and like the results. Cheers

This is a nice piece -- for it's age, it seems to be in good condition, too. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

audiofreud said:
This is a nice piece -- for it's age, it seems to be in good condition, too. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?
You talking about mine? If so I traded a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for it.
CIMG0550.jpg

texmexboogie said:
Great trade, I think you got the better of the deal in IMO especially with the mods.
Oh yeah most definately. I took the hot rod to practice once. It was plenty loud but I didint like the sound of it. I use dist/od for 95% of what I do, and the dirty channel on that thing was not to my liking. The Studio was gig worthy after the first practice. The day after I got it I was convinced that even if I didnt gig with it, it would get much more playing time than my hot rod. The clean channel on this thing aint too shabby either :D I love this little amp, but I"m sure it will be giving me gas for a new Mesa :twisted: Gonna have to learn to save my money!

I have the Mesa Rocket 44, Studio 22 and a heavily modified Fender Bassman that I modified. The Bassman is a souped up Fender which is what the early boogies are. Each have a 5157 in the input stage and a 12AT7 in the driver. I really think this simple swapping of tubes really bring out the amps fullest potential in the clean and high gain settings. If you get a chance give it a try. Cheers

Yes, I meant 5751. I bought a whole lot of 7, I believe, and a lot of 12 of the 12AT7's on e-bay . That is a good source. I buy my power tubes sometimes from Eurotubes. The JJ El84 is quite exceptional. Also, I bought one 12AT7 from Euro that was very good. When it comes to preamp tubes the old production are better than any new production. IMO even used American 12AX7, 12At7,5751's ect. are better than the new production I have tried. I have been playing tube amps since the 70's and repairing amps for quite some time that I have built up a collection of tubes and have made comparisons. Thats how I have formed this opinion on audio tubes. Also have a few old production German EL34's and 6L6 American Sylvania's that are great. Just my 2 cents

Cool tone it gets even better when it's turned up to gigging level. Hang on to your boogie amp. I just seen a 22+ with the graphic eq go for 610.00 + 45.00 shipping on e-bay.

hey guys,i have a studio 22+ ,mint condition ,super sounding amp.i wonder,how could i keep the clean channel from breaking up when gigging/practicing?(it starts to break up around these settings: master at 7 and volume at 3,3 and a half).I have the lead master control,does yours help?Haven't i tweaked it enough or it has no connection to the clean sound as it says in the manual?What am i missing?should i change the speaker to one that has a bigger power rating-now it's all stock with the black shadow rated at 50w?should i change de v2 tube to a lower gain tube-it has mesa 12ax7 right now?
thank you very much!

checked out the vid...great tone!!!! you have a good combination with your gear (amp, guitar, speakers, etc.), plus a big factor is that tone comes from the fingers/hands too!! very nice, very nice indeed.

Hi,
Wow....folks talking about the mighty Studio 22 (and 22+) !! Maybe we should keep this going as a permanent thing? I have a Studio 22+, no EQ. I've put a Weber alnico Blue Dog in it. Replaced all the tubes with 5751s, except for a 12ay7 in V1. Man what a sweet thing! Sounds like the best old Fender when you want it to do the clean thing, and the overdrive is creamy! I've had it since round 1988. I've also had a bigger reverb put in, and a LondonSound mod that reduces the power to the output valves so you can crank it a little at low volume. I've also got an Express 5:25. Great amp, but a different animal entirely. My Studio will never be replaced!
cheers! Bill.

will you please describe how does the alnico blue dog speaker sound like? thinking about scoring one, but it's $200! How did the speaker change your original sound? just trying to get an idea since there are a ton of variables involved.

Back