Studio 22

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baritone said:
You might want to try lifting one leg of c12, it changes to tone in the lead Chanel in the same Way as the fat switch on a mk IV. Basically, the tone stack is then identical in both modes. I play a les Paul, and I haven't even bothered to put a switch there. Someone said it makes it sound like a cranked fender and reduces the mid heaviness.

I will definitely give that a try and will report back.

frama78 said:
Whoopysnorp said:
My opinion on this is that the Studio .22's lead mode sounds frigging AWESOME with single coil pickups. My strat knock-off and my SG with P90s sound particularly good through this amp. Humbucking pickups, not so much. That produces a weird raspiness in the midrange that's difficult to describe. I don't know that I've ever played another amp that loved one type of pickup in particular and got along so poorly with others.

Same here!

I love the lead mode on my 22+! To me, it sounds awesome with a Strat, when the EQ is swiched off. It´s that "almost-Dumble-Blues Sound" known by Mr. Mayer etc.

You really must pay attention to the bass&mid-knobs. In fact, when I play Humbuckers, these two are not above 1, or it will mudd it up.

When you engage the EQ, it´s way easier to get a good humbucker sound. It´s not that tight and modern as on the Mark V:25 which I traded for the 22+, but it gets somewhere into that territory. The engaged EQ reduces the Dynamics of the amp a little.

One question: does anybody know, if that Brown tolex was Standard or was it a cutom-order? Or maybe a aftermarked Job? I really love the tone and look of this one (cab & headshell are diy:) )

The Brown Tolex was a custom order but back then they did not charge any extra for custom colors, now they charge a pretty penny. Here is mine, I had it recovered at Mojo Tone.

So Baritone,

I'm having trouble locating C12 can you point me in the right direction?

So I located C12 and clipped it. That did make a significant difference though there is still a difference between the two. I set the gains very close to each other and switching between them there is still more bottom end on thr clean channel, but it is a lot better.

I kinda miss mine. I always wished it had GEQ. Maybe I'll have another one day!

Hello there,

New to the message board. Also, the new owner of a beautiful Mesa Boogie Studio 22+. I acquired it last week locally in excellent condition.

It seems that when I power down the amp, about 10 seconds after the power is off, there is a farting/whirring/static sound that comes from the amp.

I made a quick video which can be seen/heard here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GotWvpxxs

Has anyone else experienced this?

I do know that the ground of the outlets in my apartment may not be all that great, as the previous owner advised me that this amp like a good ground, which will prevent buzzing/hum. I have a little bit of buzz/hum, but not too bad. More noticeable with single coil than humbucker. I don't think that has anything at all to do with this farting issue, but may be worth mentioning.

thanks,

My 22 drop's its guts after power down sometimes also. How rude!
I have never noticed this to cause any issues when in use.
Just like yours mine is a little noisy but nothing significant. My new gear is so much quieter.

pezpopper said:
Hello there,

New to the message board. Also, the new owner of a beautiful Mesa Boogie Studio 22+. I acquired it last week locally in excellent condition.

It seems that when I power down the amp, about 10 seconds after the power is off, there is a farting/whirring/static sound that comes from the amp.

I made a quick video which can be seen/heard here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GotWvpxxs

Has anyone else experienced this?

I do know that the ground of the outlets in my apartment may not be all that great, as the previous owner advised me that this amp like a good ground, which will prevent buzzing/hum. I have a little bit of buzz/hum, but not too bad. More noticeable with single coil than humbucker. I don't think that has anything at all to do with this farting issue, but may be worth mentioning.

thanks,

Mine did that as well, and it doesn't anymore since I recapped it I would think. Not a big deal however.

Mine too!

I took it to a Tech and he found out, that the Optocouplers (? not sure; Optokoppler in german) had to be removed. Had some other issues as well; anyway: since that change, the Amp works awesome. I DO get this noise anymore, but only, if i go too fast from standby to "power off". If i leave it for...say 20 seconds, there´s no "woouuhh" :)

Ive been told, that the Caps inside need a little time to unload... or something like that. It doesn´t hurt the amp and so, I´m fine with that.

What I´ve noticed: When I plug a Delay into the FX-Loop, it seems, like there is a gain stage after the loop? In OD-Mode, it sounds a little like a Delay in front of the Amp.

Still my #1 Amp! It makes my JMP-Marshall and the Soldano pretty dusty :)

Back