Spreading the sound out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsgelocos

Reaction score
After playing with my friend who has a line 6 spider IV 150 HD head on a line 6 4X12 cab, I noticed that my setup could drown him out...only if i was in front of my amp. It seams as though my mix only goes forward and doesn't spread out in different directions like his setup does. His cab sends equal volume in any direction. We do have both amps cranked since we are playing with drums and bass. bothers me. I have the Mark V head on a rectifier 4X12. I figure it is my speaker cable. it's one I acquired from a livewire combo pack. Would this be changed if I used the monster cable 500 3 ft speaker cable (this is what my friend uses on his line 6)? If I could remedy this problem, I can turn down and still here my mix mesh with his sound and spread around like his amp does. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

what are your settings compaired to his? If you are scooping your mids your gonna get drowned out either way, the guitar needs mids to cut through the balls end of the bass and kicker drum. If you do have your mids up and hes still killing u, look into getting another cab, i found the mark haed doesnt really open up untill you hook it up with 2 cabs and get the serious umph.

1) Use Monster cables if you want to damage all of you input jacks. Use planet waves of a mogami/neutrik speaker cable.
2) Use the shortest cable you can get away with.
3) Perhaps an open back cab may make your cab sound less focused. Even if his is closed back too, it won't matter because Line 6 cheap particle and the can isn't well made. Meaning the cab isn't going to do a good job of containing and focusing the sound.
4) Take the wheels off of your cab. You'll increase the low end spread by letting it travel through the ground.
5) +1 if you're scooping mids too much you're losing a lot of your core tone.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll ask the same question rika-gd asked about damaging input jacks. How? I use monster cables for the input from my guitar to my head and I haven't had any trouble from it.

I did loosen the corner screws on the cab just enough to where it wouldn't rattle. I heard that would help. But If it doesn't i'll simply tighten them back up.

look into modding ur cab with a thicker gauge, and also foam the sh!t outta the cab. This makes everything come out of the grill and then spread insted of it leaking through the back or anything.

It might also be something as simple as the acoustics in your jam space. Try switching places with the other guitarist and see how things are sounding.

rika_gd said:
theroan said:
Use Monster cables if you want to damage all of you input jacks

why??

All 1/4 inch jack components are patented and are therefore regulated so they all work together. Monster, being the kind of company needs to save money elected to bypass this system by making their cables different so they don't have to pay the patent fee. Their plug's circumference is a few millimeters bigger than a standard 1/4 inch plug giving it that "firm" feel. Due to their larger size they've been known to bend input jacks in amps, guitars, effects etc over a period of use and eventually they'll require repair.

There are a number of shops here in Toronto that refuse to carry them for that reason. For less money you can go on ebay and get mogami/neutrik cables that are just as good, if not better without the worry.

rika_gd said:
theroan said:
Use Monster cables if you want to damage all of you input jacks

why??

Monster makes their plugs slightly too big. I've been told this is to avoid having to pay royalties since it's not identical to Switchcraft's specs.

The problem is that the slight oversize wears at and stretches the sockets, which makes normal sized plugs not fit them tightly... pretty much forcing you to stick to using Monster in the future.

As for your original question... upgrading your speaker cable is a good idea, however it won't change the projection of your cab. Sending most of the sound straight forward in a cone shape is a characteristic of closed back 4x12 cabs... particularly those that have rear loaded speakers. The trade off is that they produces the closed back 4x12 sound, which we all love and admire. In a live venue the solution is to put a microphone in front of it and send it through the PA system to get spread around better.

When I need projection I use an open back 1x12 stacked on a closed back 1x12. The open back projects better because the sound off the back of the speaker hits the wall behind the cab, then spreads out forward so that you can hear it better from all angles. The trade off is that it doesn't sound like a closed back 4x12....

i always go with either planet wave or rapacco or how ever u spell it with the life time guarentee that way when my chords take a beating and start to crackle or just satrt sounding like **** i take it back to the local music store get a brand new one lol.

Well idk if I can or not. I haven't had a problem with them, I've had them for months now and they never seamed to fit differently than any other cable I used. Idk. Now that is bothering me alot. I'm afraid to move my amp out of the house in fear of a tube shorting out :|

nsgelocos said:
Well idk if I can or not. I haven't had a problem with them, I've had them for months now and they never seamed to fit differently than any other cable I used. Idk. Now that is bothering me alot. I'm afraid to move my amp out of the house in fear of a tube shorting out :|

then...you will notice soon :lol:

Well, I feel I have brought this topic into uncharted territory involving something I didn't even intend to get into. :(

nsgelocos said:

I wouldn't worry about it. The stretching issue is more of a problem if you switch to using another manufacturers cables afterwards.

I have a high quality monster speaker cable and the rest of my instrument cables are mogami gold or planet waves patch cables. All works great for me.

Back