Speakers: Tone Satisfaction Survey

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy_G said:
I'm interested in your thoughts on the comparison between a v30 and the governor. The governer sounds excellent in every youtube clip I've heard. Welll, so does the v30. Those things mic up so perfect.

Well, I still think I'm breaking in the Governor. At present, the Governor seems a bit smoother in the upper-mids an treble area and has a noticeably nicer, more full-bodied tone on clean. Switching over to the Boogie lead and they sound very similar, slight differences in the midrange response become less noticeable. For tight metal rhythm they become slightly different again and I believe this is where I need to finish breaking the Governor in as it has a bit of crunchy fizz on the lower registers (mainly noticeable when the Low B comes into play on my 7 string). For a real even comparison, I wish I could have these in the Thiele 1x12 cabinets and just swap them out playing the same riffs. I believe the open-back nature of my Nomad cab is not really allowing either speaker to play to their strengths when it comes to the tight, hi-gain rhythm.

That being said, my overall response is that they are voiced very similarly but if I had to make a judgement, the Governor is smoother, almost like Vintage 30 voiced CL90.

Sounds like ithe govrnr t is probably a winner in MEsa amps, seeing as Mesa is now marketing their stuff with both v30's and CL90.

I'm finding that the crunchies are going away in my Eminence reignmaker as I play it more. Either that, or I'm just becoming attuned to that characteristic, except my crunchies were mostly dialed out with the presence control.....Hmmm...maybe the Governor can't handle low freqs, or goes into some unintended breakup at that low of freq.

I've found the eminence technical service rep to be extremely responsive and helpful. Send them an email and ask what they think is going on.

Tommy_G said:
Sounds like ithe govrnr t is probably a winner in MEsa amps, seeing as Mesa is now marketing their stuff with both v30's and CL90.

I'm finding that the crunchies are going away in my Eminence reignmaker as I play it more. Either that, or I'm just becoming attuned to that characteristic, except my crunchies were mostly dialed out with the presence control.....Hmmm...maybe the Governor can't handle low freqs, or goes into some unintended breakup at that low of freq.

I've found the eminence technical service rep to be extremely responsive and helpful. Send them an email and ask what they think is going on.

I actually played around with my Nomad a bit more and I think it might be that I was just running my channel volume too low so the power section was amplifying a bit more noise than it should. I did another comparison to the Vintage 30 and Governor and the low-end is rather similar so I think its just the open-back nature of the Nomad that's causing that low-end flubbiness at this point.

In case you didn't know this, 12ax7a tubes are low noise, as are 7025's.

I run all low noise tubes, and there is not even a whisper of internally generated noise coming thru on my amps.

ive been running my mark V head through an angled marshall 1960a with g12t75's in it. All I can say Is I cant wait for my recto cab to arrive. The marshall cab worked well with other amps but with the mesa I want some mids. And the marshall cab is pretty fizzy.

Tommy_G said:
In case you didn't know this, 12ax7a tubes are low noise, as are 7025's.

I run all low noise tubes, and there is not even a whisper of internally generated noise coming thru on my amps.

Noise is probably not the right word for what I am describing. Basically, I had too low of a preamp signal so I had a much less defined pre-signal feeding into the power amp.

Back