Speakers for a Vintage 2x12 Slant Metal Grill Halfback

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longer

Reaction score
I've been looking for this cab for quite some time. Most I've seen for sale have been trashed.

Finally I found one that looks mint, at a great price, but both speakers have been replaced with 16ohm V-30s.

I have a horizontal recto 2x12 with V-30s that I dig, but I can't help to want to bring this vintage cab to stock.

Right now I'm thinking EVM 12L in the closed bottom and a C-90 in the open top.

That said, I gotta ask those in the know here, what would you do?

BTW, this cab will be for my Mark V head.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

C90/EVM--that's the classic combination, and it's great. I have a 412 HB cab like that and it's my fav cab of all time.

But then there is the ALL EVM 412 HB cab I have and it is just AWESOME. Weighs about 3,987 lbs. though, so I rarely gig with it.

My 212 HB cab is the C90/MS-12 version. I got such a great deal on this near mint cab 10 years , I couldn't pass it up. The MS-12 has nice bass and a really smooth midrange. I had a pair of these in a old small Fender Bandmaster cab, but too much mids there. (Weighed a ton, too!) The addition of the C90 in the Mesa cab adds just the right amount of top end cut.

Can't go wrong. But I am not a big fan of the C90/C90 version though.

Bill

Over the 20+ years with these cabs, I've swapped speakers several times. The stock C90/EV still sounds great but depending on the music, it was sometimes shrill. C90/C90 worked well for a modern rock thing, especially when driving both 2x12 cabs. Right now, one has WGS ET65/Vet30 and it sounds really good for classic rock stuff. I'll probably put the EV back in the bottom of the other one. Regardless, they're great cabs and are very responsive to speaker changes.

Latest posts

Back