Speaker/cab thoughts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuelJ86

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger. I will soon be joining the JP2c club! And i have to say goodbye to my mark v combo. :cry: So now I'm shopping for a cab. I'm mainly going to be playing with friends. I wouldn't call it a band cause we don't play shows. And a lot of playing at home too, where volume isn't an issue for me. :lol: My mark v combo did the job just fine, but I've always wanted a closed back 1/12 to go with it, just for a little more. So I'm leaning towards a mesa 2/12 to go with the JP2c. Either the 2/12 horizontal rec with v30s or the 2/12 vertical slant rec, also with v30s. I'm also considering the wide body 1/12 with the c90. I've never had any issues with the mark v combos c90. I know it's a great speaker and I know what I'll be getting if I go with a c90. I don't have a lot of experience playing through v30s but from what I hear I doubt I'll have any problems. So what would you guys do if you were me? I want somebody to sell me on a cab/speaker combination to go with my new amp. Any thoughts or advise is going to be much appreciated. These mesa cabs are not cheap so I want to get this right my first try. We mainly play rock to metal and at home I'll play blues and cleans up to metal. Anything I might be overlooking or if anyone has a different idea, let me know. Ive got an open mind for these things. Just wanna make sure this amp sounds its best!

Almost forgot. I also wanted to know if there is going to be a big difference in tone between the vertical and horizontal 2/12 cabs. And what sounds good so far, what do you guys like playing through!

I play through a recto horizontal 2x12 at home. It sounds very nice, I'm not likely to change that any time soon.

That said, I've also has a vertical 2x12 and a slant-faced 4x12. Both of them are awesome but the vertical 2x12 offered a great combination of sound and a manageable size.

The horizontal 2x12 blasts the sound at your shins, the vertical one has a better vertical spread and lets you hear what you're playing a lot more easily. I kind of kick myself for selling mine.

If I didn't have a cabinet and was looking to buy one I think I'd be stumped right now because I like both 2x12s.

SamuelJ86 said:
I just pulled the trigger. I will soon be joining the JP2c club! And i have to say goodbye to my mark v combo. :cry: So now I'm shopping for a cab. I'm mainly going to be playing with friends. I wouldn't call it a band cause we don't play shows. And a lot of playing at home too, where volume isn't an issue for me. :lol: My mark v combo did the job just fine, but I've always wanted a closed back 1/12 to go with it, just for a little more. So I'm leaning towards a mesa 2/12 to go with the JP2c. Either the 2/12 horizontal rec with v30s or the 2/12 vertical slant rec, also with v30s. I'm also considering the wide body 1/12 with the c90. I've never had any issues with the mark v combos c90. I know it's a great speaker and I know what I'll be getting if I go with a c90. I don't have a lot of experience playing through v30s but from what I hear I doubt I'll have any problems. So what would you guys do if you were me? I want somebody to sell me on a cab/speaker combination to go with my new amp. Any thoughts or advise is going to be much appreciated. These mesa cabs are not cheap so I want to get this right my first try. We mainly play rock to metal and at home I'll play blues and cleans up to metal. Anything I might be overlooking or if anyone has a different idea, let me know. Ive got an open mind for these things. Just wanna make sure this amp sounds its best!

Almost forgot. I also wanted to know if there is going to be a big difference in tone between the vertical and horizontal 2/12 cabs. And what sounds good so far, what do you guys like playing through!

I've tried the horizontal 2x12, the vertical 2x12, the 1x12 Rectifier, Thiele, Thiele Widebody with my C+'s

The best cab I played though was a 4x12 old style metal grilled cab with closed back EVL12L speakers.
Heavy as hell though.

The 2nd best cab I played through would be the Bogner 1x12 Cube with Celestion V30. That cab sounds huge for it's size.
Was never a fan of the 1x12 Rec cabinet or the newer straight /slant versions. The 2x12 horizontal tend to be overly dark sounding.

I actually had a speaker cab made from port city, went with the 2x12 os Creamback V30 combo. I own a 2x12 horizontal Mesa cab but honestly I was never a fan. My amp will be here Wed so I'll see how that sounds.

you can't go wrong with 2x12 v30's horizontal. you can always angle it up a bit with a piece of wood if needed or turn it vertical, etc.

I'm using a vertical 2x12 rectifier cab. It's got a good bottom end and projection with the slant cab.

I went with the 2x12 horizontal. Kinda last minute as the amp is going to be arriving earlier than I had expected. I thought I'd have said goodbye to my mark v by the time the JP2c got here. But now I'll have both at my disposal :mrgreen: So why not experiment. I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I thought I'd find out if I can use the V as a power amp for the JP2c's preamp. Since the V's power amp is so flexible, like simul class, 10 watt class A, and my favorite, el34s! I figured once I get a good feel for the JP, why not try it out. :p

My JP2c has arrived. I just got done playing for about an hour. About 45 minutes of that was in channel 2 without the freaking eq. My mark V is considered by me unplayable without the eq engaged on channel 3. The JP has a different inherent tone and feel from the V. The feel is the first thing that hit me when I started with channel 2. It almost feels like the strings return some energy, like a trampoline kinda. It was all smiles. Then that TONE!! Oh my!! It's got this throaty, ripping, thunderclaping tone. It's difficilult to put into words, but it is apparent. Its as if the mark V got a new exhaust, a high flow muffler and bigger pipes, if you will. :p
And gobs of gain! More than the V, as if you'd ever need it. Then you got the shred mode. To me, the shred mode sounded like a boost. Kinda similar to when I engage my tube screamer. More gain, compression, and high end. Almost too much. You have to play with some knobs when you switch to shred mode. Speaking of knobs, this thing was easy as pie to dail in a great sound. And plenty of play in the master volume controls. I was at about 10:45 on the master, where on the V, with the loop out, that would've started to compromise my house. So much easier to find a good volume.
Also, the EQ is more powerful. It has to be set different from the V's EQ. I still need to get used to that.
These are my first impressions, like I said, after about an hour with the JP. I ran it through my mark V combo with the c90 to get a good comparison to what I've been used to. I had very high expectations for this amp, especially after what some of the mark 2c+ guys have said, and this amp delivered! I'll try to write a proper review in a few weeks as most people are probably like me, in that I've never played the real c+ and come from the V. So it's a different perspective from some.

I am contemplating picking up a Thiele with the C90 to go with my JP 2C.

I am currently running it through a Recto 2x12 with Vintage 30s and it sounds great; however, the Thiele is appealing due to its compact size. I did run my JP2c through my Mark V combo and was a bit underwhelmed vs through the Recto. I am sure that the sealed and ported Thiele will sound better than the combo.

I went with the horizontal 2x12 mainly since I wanted something a little more portable and since I have a few other 4x12's already. The 2x12 really impresses me. I play it with my band now and sounds great! It sounds even better to record with, tight low end, focus mids, bright sparkly highs. I love this little set up.

Ibanezex718 said:
I went with the horizontal 2x12 mainly since I wanted something a little more portable and since I have a few other 4x12's already. The 2x12 really impresses me. I play it with my band now and sounds great! It sounds even better to record with, tight low end, focus mids, bright sparkly highs. I love this little set up.

HELLLLLLO, nurse! Looks great.

I don't think I could be happier with my horizontal 2x12. And it's so much better for metal than my 1x12 combo with the c90. I get that really tight and punchy palm muting stuff, it's a joy. However, I do prefer cleans through the open back and bluesy stuff. I might pick up a lone star 1x12 cab down the road.

I ended up getting a Thiele with a V30 for my head. Given that it is a 60 watt cab, I'll need to be judicious with the volume control in 100 watt mode; however, I don't think I'll have issues. I know Mesa occasionally puts this speaker in the V combo.

So far it sounds pretty good. Not quite as full as the Recto 2x12, but it is more focused.

Back