Sovtek 12ax7LPS Tube Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeve25

Reaction score
Is there really any difference between these two tubes???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sovtek-12AX7LPS-12AX7-ECC83-pre-amp-tubes-NEW-/390013757609?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5acea1a8a9

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sovtek-12AX7LPS-12AX7-ECC83-tubes-NOS-1999-New-/390164859271?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5ad7a34987

Thanks.

I have read that after 2001 or so quality wasn't as good. maybe the materials used to build them is less. Not a lot different from a older gibson from the 70's or 80's to a gibson from the past few years. which spots you want to use them in?

You don't like usa tubes?

scott

droptrd said:
I would never pay that for an LPS. And I really like the LPS.

+1
I use the LPS in the PI position in all my amps. Buy them from The Tubestore or Doug's Tubes. Better price and better service.

Looks like I probably made an unwise decision. I purchased 5 of them 1999 batch. I figured they were at least as good as the older russian mesa tubes. Was hoping maybe a little better.

I a going to run an RFT in V1, and 4 LPS's. I'll probably get another RFT, but not sure which other slot would be best for another RFT.

I like usa made 5751 in the phase inverter... just seems like a very musical tube, and adds some low end response. Tung sol or sylvania, rca, raytheon 5751's,

scott

cscotto said:
I use the LPS in the PI position in all my amps. Buy them from The Tubestore or Doug's Tubes. Better price and better service.

+1

Me too!! LOVE the LPS in the PI slot. Fantastic tube.

To the OP, I would steer clear of ordering tubes off eBay unless you have to. In the long wrong, you will get a better tube from a tube house (Doug's Tubes, TubeDepot, etc.). I have had about 7 bad experiences with tubes from eBay.

fluff191 said:
cscotto said:

+1

Me too!! LOVE the LPS in the PI slot. Fantastic tube.

To the OP, I would steer clear of ordering tubes off eBay unless you have to. In the long wrong, you will get a better tube from a tube house (Doug's Tubes, TubeDepot, etc.). I have had about 7 bad experiences with tubes from eBay.
+1000

Maybe it's just me , or possibly they sound different depending on what amp but I don't like sovtek lps at all really. Maybe it's just the Mark III but every once in awhile I'll try one because of the way people keep saying how good they are but I'm always dis-appointed. They don't sound good at all in my amp, and I've tried several different ones. As far as new tubes I would go with a Tung-sol or a Penta from Doug's. For me, they work much better in my amp out of all the newer production stuff and sound the best. Nothing compares to a nos 12at7 for the phase inverter slot for my amp though. I like the clarity and detail it brings out in the amp.
I agree if your buying new tubes, just buy from a reputable dealer. nos buying from ebay is a bit risky but I've had good luck.

Hey,

Are those Raytheon german made? I have some that I think are the same thing as RFT... I also use nos GE for 12AT7. I have GE 6201 which are triple mica military 12AT7 that are very durable, nice sounding tubes.

Scott

The Raytheon that I have is a Baldwin labeled long black-plate. Thought they were US made but not 100% sure. I've only tried the Sylvania AT in the PI slot and it sounds awesome but I'd like to pick up some RCA and Mullard 12at7wa to try there also sooner or later. I've heard the Mullards are very good so I'd like to compare.
Tried a few 5751's and haven't found any I really like yet in my amp.

Back