Using the speaker of a DC-2 combo without using the amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowery969

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to test out a head (Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18).

I have a spare speaker that I intend to build my own cabinet with.

But in the meantime, can I use the 8 ohm jack on the back of my Studio Caliber DC-2?

I assume I would be able to do that, without powering the Mesa amp.

Should I unplug the jack that's plugged in, in the back of the Mesa, first?

Absolutely not! That would be disastrous to the amp trying to drive the speaker as the output transformer on the Mesa will still be connected and will have a very low impedance (may appear as a short circuit to the head you connect it too). Never do this! The output transformer should and will have a very low resistance since it is the source to the speaker load. Also, pumping in current from another source into a transformer will end up with voltage on the primary side. Then there is the negative feedback circuit that may be connected to the output side of the transformer going to the phase inverter. Not sure what that will do to the Mesa amp. It will tax the tubes in the head and probably cause them to fail. May even burn out the OT on both amps.

Best solution to make use of a combo speaker to be driven by an external amp is to get yourself a short coupling speaker cable. One that has a male and female end. Make sure it is rated for speaker use. TS type connectors only.

This will cost less than the repairs needed after trying to use the Mesa amp as a load coupler. These extension cables come in longer lengths. I just picked the shortest one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...16qqf-1.5-ts-ts-female-speaker-cable-1.5-foot

Your post is a little unclear on exactly what you're thinking of trying, but never plug the output of one amp into the speaker output jack of another amp.

And leaving the combo amp's speaker cable connected to the combo amp's output jack while using a separate cable with clips to connect a different amp to the combo speaker will still allow the output power of the second amp to go into the combo amp's output transformer, with the potential for the bad results Bandit mentioned.

I hope that made sense, because I think MY post may be a little unclear. :)

Your post is a little unclear on exactly what you're thinking of trying, but never plug the output of one amp into the speaker output jack of another amp.

And leaving the combo amp's speaker cable connected to the combo amp's output jack while using a separate cable with clips to connect a different amp to the combo speaker will still allow the output power of the second amp to go into the combo amp's output transformer, with the potential for the bad results Bandit mentioned.

I hope that made sense, because I think MY post may be a little unclear. :)
All good.

As it turned out, I never came into possession of the amp head, so I won't be trying it.

Latest posts

Back