Soon-to-be Recto user has a couple questions before buying

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenlbham said:
So now I'm trying to set up my GT-8 with it in 4CM fashion, but I'm having some trouble and getting a little confused about how the DR's FX loop is supposed to work in this configuration. At first I had the Send Level knob in the 12:00 detent position (I wasn't sure if I should mess with it), and tweaked the patch on my GT to get the level up so that it sounded similar in volume & gain w/o the GT. Then I noticed that when I turned off the loop, I was getting a lower volume out of the amp... ahhhh, now I start messing with the Send Level. I turned it all the way down and was getting some very low volume bleed through... is that normal? Then, obviously, when I turned the knob past 12:00, it got MUCH louder.

The low volume bleed through is normal. My guess is that they did it so that the effects loop doesn't pop when engaged/disengaged.

As for the GT-8, set the effects loop send to 12:00, then set the GT-8's internal levels so that they match.

It also helps if you set the channel master of your loudest channel to somewhere around 9:00 to 10:00 and balance the remainder channels against it. This will help prevent the preamp from overdriving the effects processor's input.

Get rid of the GT8 and buy a TC G-Major, i did that :) the TC its much more transparent, the GT8 steals lots of your sound.

BostonRedSox said:
http://www.bossgtcentral.com/showthread.php?18926-Setting-up-a-GT-8-w-Dual-Rectifier

screamingdaisy said:
The low volume bleed through is normal. My guess is that they did it so that the effects loop doesn't pop when engaged/disengaged.

As for the GT-8, set the effects loop send to 12:00, then set the GT-8's internal levels so that they match.

It also helps if you set the channel master of your loudest channel to somewhere around 9:00 to 10:00 and balance the remainder channels against it. This will help prevent the preamp from overdriving the effects processor's input.
Thanks! This is what I was looking for... Although Whiteop describes turning his Send Loop all the way up. I'll turn it up as much as possible while making sure I'm not clipping the GT's input.

]devilRED[ said:
Get rid of the GT8 and buy a TC G-Major, i did that :) the TC its much more transparent, the GT8 steals lots of your sound.
Oh, I would... if I didn't just max out my credit card on the DR :lol:

BTW, here she be...
167069_1823698671533_1212234910_32150070_2729890_n.jpg

Here's my take on the 2010's.... The new features are deffinately cool and usefull. But....you can find really nice older 3ch and 2ch solo heads for a grand and lower. So this begs the question...is the 2010 recto $1000 better than the older 3ch? IMO no.

Ive owned 2 stilettos. They have the wattage and rectifier selection. Its nice to have, but as far as bedroom level headroom, it didnt make much difference. The amp still had to be loud to sound good.

212s are cool, but there is something about a good 412 that smaller boxes just cant get. I split my 412 in stereo and run 2 12's in it all the time for smaller venues. I liked it better than my 212 so I sold it. Plus it puts your amp up higher so you have a good place to set your beer (if youre the kinda that puts drinks on your amp...I am)

droptrd said:
Here's my take on the 2010's.... The new features are deffinately cool and usefull. But....you can find really nice older 3ch and 2ch solo heads for a grand and lower. So this begs the question...is the 2010 recto $1000 better than the older 3ch? IMO no.

Ive owned 2 stilettos. They have the wattage and rectifier selection. Its nice to have, but as far as bedroom level headroom, it didnt make much difference. The amp still had to be loud to sound good.

212s are cool, but there is something about a good 412 that smaller boxes just cant get. I split my 412 in stereo and run 2 12's in it all the time for smaller venues. I liked it better than my 212 so I sold it. Plus it puts your amp up higher so you have a good place to set your beer (if youre the kinda that puts drinks on your amp...I am)
I wanted the option of the 50W mode specifically so I could power smaller cabs without overpowering them. I actually like it with the 2x12 (haven't tried it with my 1x12 Egnater yet). Last night when I was playing at pretty good volume in my studio, I could tell the 100W setting was "bigger," but not necessarily better. It sounded like it was pushing the 2x12 too hard and getting that "boomy" sound. Granted, this was an observation during the first couple hours of playing time on the rig, so that may change as I get experience dialing in everything.

I also wanted the serial FX loop. Thus: new 2010 DR.

50 watts eh? Well, you don't have a lazy man's switch on an old 2 channel / 3 channel dual so you have to rough it the old fashioned way. MANUALLY!

Just pull out the outside or inside pair of power tubes ( X _ _ X / _ X X _ ) and reset the impedance on your amp. 16 ohm cab now goes to 8 ohm output on the head, 8 ohm cab goes to 4 ohm output on the cab. If you run tube rectifiers, remove one of the tube rectifiers to retain vintage sag characteristics for your tone!

VOILA, problem solved!

To be honest, the 50W isn't giving me the same tones at lower volumes... I agree that the amp has to be turned up a bit to get a rich distortion that isn't fizzy. So yes, it may not be as useful as I had hoped. But I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with the amp either to find where the 50W would actually be useful. I still love it though.

On a side note, I managed to find a used 2x12 vertical slant cab locally that I bought and then promptly returned the 2x12 horizontal cab to GC. I did some A/B'ing between the two first and could tell almost no difference on-axis to the speaker cone. Off-axis, the horizontal sounded thicker, but not significantly more... however, the vertical sounds plenty thick when standing next to it (similar to standing "above" the horizontal cab). The point would be: either one works great, but the vertical will give you better monitoring. If you can prop a horizontal up on a rack of some sort, it'll do the same thing.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I am now a very happy Mesa user!!! :D

droptrd said:

I actually just ordered a new Dual Rectifier. While saving some $$$ would of been nice, the newer rectos sound much better to me. The extra features are just the iceing on the cake.

Has anyone ever tried a 2x12 horizontal with a 2x12 vertical stacked ontop? :) I'd love to test that out. If only I could find both at one music store though. :( A few monthes ago all I could find were horizontals. I haven't seen a vertical 2x12 in years.

FWIW: here's my two cents on the cab issue...

I got my Tremoverb back around '94 or '95. 2x12 combo. Sounded great and served my needs just fine. I always wanted a half-stack so years later, I decided to convert the amp and ordered a head shell and 4x12 cab. I went back and forth w/ the Mesa rep on which cab to get and I played a few that were in local shops. I was pretty sure I'd want either the Mesa Traditional or a Marshall 1960a rather than the Mesa Recto Standard. I thought the Standard would be too bassy and geard for those dudes who tune way down.

As it turned out, I found the Traditional and 1960a to be too mid focused and not 'round' enough. The Standard was very well balanced to my ears and the highs sounded better and the bass was not at all loose and woofy like I thought it'd be. So that's what I went with. If I ever needed a second 4x12, I'd consider the Traditional b/c the balance between the two might sound pretty good. But I don't see myself ever needing that.

The 4x12 sound is soooo much better IMO than the 2x12. Part of that may be due to the closed back (the combo was open). I've only played one gig where the sound guy kept telling me to turn down, but that probably woulda been an issue w/ the 2x12 as well.

Latest posts

Back