Single rectifiers, why no rectifier tube???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianvalve

Reaction score
I don't understand why the single rectifiers don't have the tube rectifier option as opposed to only the silicon diode rectifier. The tube rectifier is afterall what they were named after right? I think that the tube rectifier mode on a dual or a triple sounds so much warmer and thicker than the diode. Only trouble is, I could only afford the single rec at this time. I love the single rec, still has that tone just wish it had that option. There is a big difference IMO in the feel even more so than the tone. Anyone ever dare try the mod from Torres engineering?? If so, how is it??http://www.torresengineering.com/adddual5u4re.html

Not what i'm saying at all.

Single rectifier-diode only (no choice)
Dual rectifier-diode or 2 (as in dual) tube rectifiers (choice)
Triple rectifier-diode or 3 (as in triple) tube rectifiers (choice)

Just wondering why that option was not added to the single rec. Was it a "marketing" choice made by Mesa to move people into the dual. Or does the single sound like crap with the tube rectifier option. Might try the mod. Wondering if anyone has, and if so how does it sound.

I would take the single, dual, and triple rectifier name as just branding to indicate the differences between the output wattage of the three and not really an indicator of the rectifier options. The answer to your question as to why no tube rectifier for the single rectifier probably comes down to charging more for the option. If the single rectifier had all the bells and whistles of the dual rectifier, why buy a dual rectifier?

It's true the triple rectifier has three rectifier tubes and the dual two, but the single has only one. Why? Because you have pay for that flexability. If you really want to have a single rectifier diode in your single rectifier, you can add a 5v transformer for the rectifier tubes heaters, punch a hole for the tube socket, add a switch to switch between the two, adjust the bais accordingly, and wire it all up.

msi said:
I would take the single, dual, and triple rectifier name as just branding to indicate the differences between the output wattage of the three and not really an indicator of the rectifier options. The answer to your question as to why no tube rectifier for the single rectifier probably comes down to charging more for the option. If the single rectifier had all the bells and whistles of the dual rectifier, why buy a dual rectifier?

It's true the triple rectifier has three rectifier tubes and the dual two, but the single has only one. Why? Because you have pay for that flexability. If you really want to have a single rectifier diode in your single rectifier, you can add a 5v transformer for the rectifier tubes heaters, punch a hole for the tube socket, add a switch to switch between the two, adjust the bais accordingly, and wire it all up.

I couldn't have said it better.

The reason they're named "Dual Rectifier" is because of the option of having tube or solid state rectifiers. That's where the name originally came from.

The Triple is a misnomer, since it doesn't have 3 choices of rectification. The Single, however, has only one source of rectification, which is the diodes.

For the minimal upcharge, a Dual is well worth it. It's only $300 more and there's always the option to pull 2 tubes to make it 50 watts.

brianvalve said:
Was it a "marketing" choice made by Mesa to move people into the dual. Or does the single sound like crap with the tube rectifier option.
Probably both. The Single Rectifier is probably their 'entry level' Rectifier--Offering enough of what people need at a reasonable price to lure them in but leaving them wanting more.

I assume most people buying Rectifiers are going for that big, tight, punchy riffing sound. That requires substantial headroom. The Single Rectifier is rated at 50 watts--that equates to less headroom than offered by the Dual and Triple Recs. Using a rectifier tube would chop the headroom even further. Maybe Mesa figured a 50 watt amplifier utilizing a rectifier tube just wouldn't have enough headroom to appeal to the typical player in their Rectifier demographic. And maybe including it would unnecessarily raise the price for a feature most people wouldn't use.

Thank you for your insightful responses. Probably makes more sense to save some money and trade up to the dual. I'd hate to go through the drilling and wiring only to be disappointed with the result.

Mesa is incorrect in labeling "rectifier amp" without a tube rectifier IMO.
What the tube does is:
"The rectifier: If a vacuum tube rectifier is used, sag is generated because of the internal resistance of the tube. Unlike a solid-state rectifier, a tube rectifier exhibits a fair amount of voltage drop which varies with the amount of current passing through the tube."
My Fender 1969 Bandmaster Reverb has a Rectifier tube.
This gives IMO a softer attack, since the SS version in most amps, and even Fenders, is a quicker response.
Mesa's only "True" amp which should be called a Rectifier is the Dual and Triple.
So the bottom line is: If you want a True Tube rectifier amp and like the original Dual Rectifier, that is the "1" to buy.
Maybe the way it is overdriven "saturated sound" is the reason Mesa uses that terminology to describe the sound. But using silicon Diodes does NOT make it a rectifier amp.
Even Fender Twin Reverb does not use the rectifier, but the beloved sound of the Fender Deluxe Reverb amp does. : Includes 4 x 12AX7 preamp tubes, 2 x 12AT7 tubes, 2 x 6V6 Groove Tubes output tubes, and 1 x 5AR4 rectifier tube.

Really, No 5U4GB tube? I had assumed the single Recto would have that. Bummer no tube Rectifier in the Solo 50. Single Rectifier is not what it is then? At least it retains the same heritage of the preamp I assume. Just does not have that tube tracking circuit that most never really use in practice. A few people do and I am one of them.

Not all Rectifier amps have tube rectification as part of their construction. Mini Rectifier, no tube rectifier, Rect-O-Verb series 2 did not have one either. Now we have the Badlander with the Rectifier badge, more of a hybrid or mix of a Mark and part Recto (tone stack driver circuit) but that is about it. No cold clipper, no raw, vintage, or modern modes, no throw-back to the origin of the series name with the exception of the Rectifier logo and the diamond plate face with the vented front.

Please remember that product names evolve over time, and so does the meaning. I like Hamer guitars, and the guitar known as the "studio", was originally known as the Sunburst Archtop, when compared to the "normal" flat top with a veneer. But then the regular sunburst was discontinued, so they had the standard Archtop Studio, and then the Archtop Custom. So many people called the guitars the studio however that by 2000, the models were called the Studio, and the Studio custom.

The original name of the "rectifier" was the "Solo Head". There were two versions, the Dual Rectifier, and the Triple Rectifier, which both came out in 1992. Then came out some special versions during the 1990s, such as the Tremoverb, the Maverick, and the Blue Angel. The first three of these had switchable rectifiers, while the Blue Angel apparently uses both, so these all technically had "Dual Rectfiers".

Then in 1998 came the Solo 50 head and the Rectoverb. As they were only 50 watts and did not have switchable rectifiers, they had a badge labeled "Single Rectifier". It was also around this time that the term "Rectifier" began to be used by Mesa and the end users to refer to the entire series of amplifiers based on that overall design. They even put out a "rectifier preamp", which would gain nothing from switchable rectifiers.

At this point Switchable rectifiers also began to appear on amps that were not part of the "Rectifier" series of amplifiers, eventually culiminating with the only Mark amp to have a tube rectifier available: the Mark V 90. By this point the term "Rectifier" in relation to Mesa amps was already pretty much just about that overall sound concept, and not the ability to switch rectifiers, or having multiple rectifier tubes.

When I had a 2ch Dual Rec I almost never used the tube rectification option, and I don't think most players did either back then. I would also guess it's the same today. In fact, almost everyone ran some kind of boost out front to "tighten" them up, me included. Maybe they do that today as well.

Now of course I had to have a Dual Rec over a Rectoverb because it had the option of tube rectification and was punchier lol. The reality is the Rectoverb was all the rectifier I need (I just recently purchased a ROV S2 after a long time without one) and not only do I NOT miss tube rectification, but I also don't use a boost out front anymore either.

Mesa is incorrect in labeling "rectifier amp" without a tube rectifier IMO.
What the tube does is:
"The rectifier: If a vacuum tube rectifier is used, sag is generated because of the internal resistance of the tube. Unlike a solid-state rectifier, a tube rectifier exhibits a fair amount of voltage drop which varies with the amount of current passing through the tube."
My Fender 1969 Bandmaster Reverb has a Rectifier tube.
This gives IMO a softer attack, since the SS version in most amps, and even Fenders, is a quicker response.
Mesa's only "True" amp which should be called a Rectifier is the Dual and Triple.
So the bottom line is: If you want a True Tube rectifier amp and like the original Dual Rectifier, that is the "1" to buy.
Maybe the way it is overdriven "saturated sound" is the reason Mesa uses that terminology to describe the sound. But using silicon Diodes does NOT make it a rectifier amp.
Even Fender Twin Reverb does not use the rectifier, but the beloved sound of the Fender Deluxe Reverb amp does. : Includes 4 x 12AX7 preamp tubes, 2 x 12AT7 tubes, 2 x 6V6 Groove Tubes output tubes, and 1 x 5AR4 rectifier tube.
Um, this was a necro thread, last post was 14 years ago. Why did you feel you needed to respond after 14 years?

It was very well-explained by several posters 14 years ago, and you are totally misinformed. ALL tube amps have rectifiers (in the B+ supply) Most amps since the 60's have solid state rectifiers. It was only when Mesa made the Dual Rectifier with the switchable solid state/tube rectifiers that the moniker "Rectifier" became well known. Heck, even the cabs started using the name, I have three "Rectifier" cabs, 4x12, 2x12, and 1x12. "Rectifier" is simply a name at this point.

Um, this was a necro thread, last post was 14 years ago. Why did you feel you needed to respond after 14 years?

It was very well-explained by several posters 14 years ago, and you are totally misinformed. ALL tube amps have rectifiers (in the B+ supply) Most amps since the 60's have solid state rectifiers. It was only when Mesa made the Dual Rectifier with the switchable solid state/tube rectifiers that the moniker "Rectifier" became well known. Heck, even the cabs started using the name, I have three "Rectifier" cabs, 4x12, 2x12, and 1x12. "Rectifier" is simply a name at this point.
Question is WHY do you have to comment? Mind your own business and stop being the Mesa Police with a negative attitude. Stop reading the boogieforum, all info is available to fix a Mesa Amp from Boogie, or their factory outlets. This is just people communicating.

By the way, Deluxe Reverb still uses rectifiers, and my Fender Bandmaster Reverb has rectifier tubes. The Dual Rectifier sounds great, different using that rectifier tube!!! That is what it is a "RECTIFIER" glass tube!

Rectifier just rectifies ac to dc. From functionaly point of view it does not matter whether one uses tube of diodes as rectifier, ac turns into dc. It is still rectifier which has specific purpose in electric circuit. So yes, single rectifier has only one rectifier which uses diodes. Dual has both tube and silicon diode rectifiers. But whattahell triple rectifier does only have two. Now that’s fucked up and bad advertisement.

Rectifier just rectifies ac to dc. From functionaly point of view it does not matter whether one uses tube of diodes as rectifier, ac turns into dc. It is still rectifier which has specific purpose in electric circuit. So yes, single rectifier has only one rectifier which uses diodes. Dual has both tube and silicon diode rectifiers. But whattahell triple rectifier does only have two. Now that’s fucked up and bad advertisement.
So true, tubes just have a bit of sag, the solid state diodes are quick, so that is the difference. Hearing it, very hard, but playing you can tell. Cheers! In essence all amplifiers with tubes could be called Rectifiers, since they use one or the other.
I had an app with tube rectifier, and changed it to SS but 25 yrs ago, changed it back to tube. Just my preference. Now the way Mesa has setup the pre-amp and amp to clip, that is what can be considered the Metal sound, in there words "rectifier". Just a play on words maybe to sell more amps... possibly?

It has THREE rectifier tubes.

You're welcome.

It has THREE rectifier tubes.

You're welcome.

Ah, ok. With this logic ’Single rectifier’ should be called just ’single’ or ’No rectifier’. I would say ’single’ because ’no rectifier’ implies that it runs on either battery or AC. This is propably why it was removed from the lineup, it just does not fit to the naming scheme. Sad really, single is better than people give it credit for.

Single Rectos and ROV are some of my favorites. Tonal haven when boosted. Speaking as a Dual Rev. G owner.

Back