Show us your Stilettos

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
srf399 said:
How do you like your Laney? I've never had the chance to try a Laney but I like Paul Gilberts playing and sound a lot. Very definate clear overdriven sound and I've heard on here people saying that the Laney and the Stiletto's are very similar that way. How are your two amps by comparison?

Well, while both amps run El34's and have similar tonalities, I find them to be VERY different beasts. The Laney, IMHO does not have as much gain as the Stiletto. Is sounds great for what it does, but needs a boost up front to really get super-high gain sounds. Though I really don't use it for that anyway. It's a great classic rock/ 80's metal kind of amp. (The amp is a 1988-89 model, so that makes sense.) It does have a nice tight bottom end, which I think is helped by the 4x12, but again, not over-the-top gain-wise. It's a bit of a one-trick pony.. I usually set it up for one tone, and back off the volume to clean it up a bit. The Laney has a very 'clear' and 'clean' sounding distortion, not dissimilar to the basis of a PG type tone.. though I'm sure he uses a more up to date model...

the Stiletto, obviously, has waaay more options in terms of tonality, as have been well discussed here. Tite gain has more balls than the Laney will ever have on it's own. since this is a Stage I, I have to be careful w/ the high end, but backing off on the presence and treble does the job. I put a couple of pedals in front of it, but only for variety... it does not need a boost (at least for what I need). On the whole, a more 'modern' sounding amp... hope that helps...

-K

recto-robbie said:
I showed my wife also,,, I think everything is better now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think we all showed our wives :lol: :lol: . For some reason, this didn't buy me any relief :(

insideout said:
wow, I've never seen the Ace combo in black before - looks sharp 8) . Nice fiddles too :D

Thanks. I thought the black was unique and definitely sets it off. Plus I already have an amp in green that pretty much matches the baseline covering on the Ace.

As for the fiddles, the PRS is a McCarty and the red guitar is a Don Grosh Bent Top that he built for me shortly after his move to Colorado. It's a really amazing guitar.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/dean69204/stilettos.jpg

thought you might love to see that.

there is only one thing that compares with torque - more torque. this sounds incredible at all volumes.

My Axe 2X12 beside my Nomad 45/Rec 2X12

This pic was originally there to show my Anderson Classics but the amp is pretty easy to see.

anderamps.jpg

The Stiletto:

incrediblehulk.jpg

insideout said:
recto-robbie said:
I showed my wife also,,, I think everything is better now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think we all showed our wives :lol: :lol: . For some reason, this didn't buy me any relief :(

Me either! Man bigmouth, I want to party with you! At least I'd get a chance to play Mark IV! FInally!

my stiletto....i think its a stage one, its pretty old (3 years or there abouts) so i guess it is, but i dont care its the best sounding amp ive ever played aside from a framus cobra.

stiletto2.jpg

its been toured hard the last couple of years - note all the grazes in the tolex :)

stilettoback.jpg

rear view.....

all in all its a sweet amp...ive had so many guitarists drool over it....more so than our other guitarists triple recto......i guess stilettos arent as common so have a little more mistique...

This is a custom Deuce I recently bought off of Dave Weiner from Vai's band. It is a blue flamed maple custom case. Amp is stock. It was used on several Vai tours.

Stilettoand4x12.jpg

Todays_amp_lineup.jpg

BTW - played it at rehearsal for the first time last night. Jaw dropping. I loved it.

Man, you guys are talkative - I had to go back 5 pages to resurrect this thread :lol: . At any rate, the Deuce came in last night, and it's sitting happily on top of my custom solid cherry cabinet. It's a rockin machine!!!

Here's a photo of my new mistress and my old sweetheart! Not quite the harem some of you guys have but it's a good start and I'm glad to be playing again!

mesa_goldtop_web.jpg

Hey Satisfied,

****!! That is a room of sheer envy! My god that is a sweet room!! I'd have that picture on my office desk instead of my kids! Of course the wife's pic has to stay, especially if she is letting you buy all that.

You are a bit of a Mesa/Jackson guy huh! Don't blame you one bit. I own a Charvel San Dimas - the reissue that came out recently with the copperhead snakeskin graphic. I am sure you know of it. It is my best playing guitar, and my number one for hi gain playing. (All around goes to my PRS - I don't think the Charvel is quite as good on cleaner comping style stuff, not what its intended for...)

What do you like for pickups in the Charvels? Mine still has the stock Duncans. I was thinking of changing them out - just to see. Any recommendations?

Is your Stiletto a blue sparkle? Is the finish transparent or solid? Can we get a close up pic? It looks a lot like my head - see my picture a couple of entries earlier in this thread. Mine is a transparent blue with maple wood. Your matching cabinet is very sweet - I am working on one myself, right not I have an old oversize 4x12.

Androo - sorry to be so late answering. The Bad Cat is a bit tempermental. I haven't owned it all that long, maybe 6 months. I loved it the first couple of days - who doesn't love their new $2400 purchases in the first few days? After a bit I swapped out the tubes - all new JJ's - and since then have had a hard time getting it to my liking. I have also been a little disappointed in the quality of the build, I had to replace the two pots on the effects loop becuase the threads had been stripped and they were spinning in their mounting holes. The new batch is showing the same problem. Plus I have had a hard time balancing the loop IO - like Boogies the loop has a Send and Receive pot, but the Cat's loop is highly sensitive. I haven't given it a lot of time tho - been busy with other things so it is likely just my inexperience with the head. I am guessing that when I get it back from the shop I will spend a lot of time with it and let you know.

I can tell you that my Stiletto is my favorite amp right now - I play in an Alt cover band, need a lot of different HI Gain tones, as well as a variety of clean and crunch stuff and the Stiletto seems to be the best at handling the variety of tones I need to play. The Roadster will also do it too of course, but it seems to be a little more sensitive, and the **** channel 3 POP is driving me nuts. I want an amp that is plug and play and right now I'm liking the simplicity of the Stiletto and my pedalboard. But that is this week... :)

robstar said:
Here's a photo of my new mistress and my old sweetheart! Not quite the harem some of you guys have but it's a good start and I'm glad to be playing again!

mesa_goldtop_web.jpg

Great looking Rig! How does that LP sound with the seilletto Ace?

woody said:
Great looking Rig! How does that LP sound with the seilletto Ace?

Thanks for the kind words. That LP has a great sound to my ears and always has sounded good live and in the studio. I bought it new when I was around 13-14 years old with money I had earned from mowing yards, plus a little kicked in from my Dad who was a musician, as was my Mother, brother and sister. I've had quite a few other guitars through the years including other LPs, SGs etc., but this one is among my prized possessions; it's even written into my prenuptial agreement as is my Dad's old Gibson acoustic.

Basically, I know that guitar so well that when it boiled down to it, the amp had to step up to the plate to give me what I wanted. The Ace head and Recto 2x12 cabinet more than delivers... and then some.

Again, thanks for asking and thanks for the kind words.

Robstar

When you gig with this amp do you use a amp stand, how you keep it off the floor? I 'm thinking about getting the same amp with cab and was wondering how you set it up on the stage? and pic also would be kool

Back