SD JB mud?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've got a Jackson with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and I don't love it. It sounds alright, but tends to get muddy through my Rectifier, like there's a blanket over the amp. I've got a Schecter 7 String with an 81 in the bridge, and I love that. Is there another Seymour Duncan pickup that will get me close to that sound, or just something that sounds great through a rectifier, where I can keep the neck pickup as is?

Thanks!

I have a JB in the bridge of my custom Peavey (strat copy) and it is anything but muddy. It is very expressive and bright. It came out of a Jackson Soloist as did the '59 neck pickup. I think they are both great pickups. I have a Dimarzio Blue Velvet in the middle for mixing with the two humbuckers and it keeps the bluesy tone the guitar was made for very nicely...

Rocky said:
A muddy JB????

thats a new one.

Compared to the 81, it's got a lot less high end bite. I guess that's what I'm looking for in a passive SD. Is that plausible?

Lacking high end bite does not equal muddiness IMO. In my experience, the JB is one of the brightest pickups i've played. The EVO bridge is bright as well, but that's a dimarzio.

Maybe you are just an active pickup kind of guy?

why dont you just get an EMG 81 for that guitar. i had an SG a few years back that had an 81 in the bridge and a Gibson 498 in the neck. and i had no problems.

The value of the volume pot can also have an effect. Make sure you are running a 500k ohm volume pots. If you are, you can try a 1M ohm, that will certainly brighten up your sound.

Ken j said:
The value of the volume pot can also have an effect. Make sure you are running a 500k ohm volume pots. If you are, you can try a 1M ohm, that will certainly brighten up your sound.

cripes...my ears are already bleeding from the piercing treble and high midrange.

The JB was designed with 250K pots in mind and that is what Seymour himself recommends. If ANYONE finds a JB to be muddy or dark there is something wrong with either the pickup...the wiring or the players rig. It is a very bright pickup regardless of guitar.

to be honest with you guys i find the JB in my fernandes elite to be not so much muddy but kind of dull and lifeless. i mostly play my esp ec1000 which has emg 81s so i'm used to and have my rig setup to their brightness.

so i'm not sure if its the guitar which is one of the thickest/heaviest guitars ive played or if its the pickups. either way i'm wondering if a brighter pup like the prs hfs or dimarzio dsonic or d-activatorx. i dont wnat any more emgs because i want to mix it up.

****. I went from an LP with a Burstbucker 3 that I thought was really bright, to a Schecter C1 Classic with a JB and had to re-eq my amp because it was so bright.

Haven't had any problems with mine. Crystal clear, singing lead tone, and full of life.

On the other hand, I've found EMGs to be pretty lifeless in every guitar I've had them in.

mikey383 said:
****. I went from an LP with a Burstbucker 3 that I thought was really bright, to a Schecter C1 Classic with a JB and had to re-eq my amp because it was so bright.

Haven't had any problems with mine. Crystal clear, singing lead tone, and full of life.

On the other hand, I've found EMGs to be pretty lifeless in every guitar I've had them in.

it might be the guitar... the ravelle is heavier than any LP or prs SC i've played. the guitar itself also seems to have very little natural resonence so the dullness could be the guitar itself. but i definitely think the jb's sound dull in that guitar, cant speak for the way it sounds in other guitars. i personal like emgs in certain guitars but to each his own.

i can't stand the jb. there isn't a single thing that i like about it. it just doesn't have the clarity for me. i've a fan of active and passive pickups and have had a few guitars with jb's....i just don't dig them.

I think with my Rectifier, I just don't like the sound of the JB. It sounds great with my Engl, but with the Rectifier there's a lot missing in clarity.

Thanks for the responses!

You may already know this, but... there's a lot you can do to change the sound without scrapping a $150 pickup. Just changing the pickup height can make a huge difference. As mentioned, you can try a higher value pot (I usually use 500k). You can try a lower value tone cap- assuming the stock one is .022uF, you could try a .015uF or even a .010uF. You could try a different wiring setup- the 50's style wiring preserves highs much better than the "modern" wiring as you turn down the volume knob. Each of these things can have a profound affect on tone, and they all can be done with a little soldering skill and almost no $$$.
I just upgraded my Les Paul in stages. For me, changing the volume pots make a noticeable difference. Changing the tone caps also made a noticeable difference (even with the tone knob turned all the way up). Changing to the 50's wiring made a big difference. Adding some new $250 hand-wound PAF replicas made a big difference, but, surprisingly, probably not as big as the 50's wiring. Trying a couple of different tubes in V1 of my Boogie made a huge difference. More than anything- changing these things let me get what I wanted. If I made a change I didn't like, I could just go back to what I had before. With a new set of pickups, you sorta get what you get- no control. If I had known all of this 10 years ago I would have saved a lot of money on aftermarket pickups along the way.
Good luck!

Some good inforamtion there asmith

aren't 500k pots usually with humbuckers and 250k with single coils?
not questioning....really asking.

JBJR.......I had put one of those in my Strat. While it was OK in #5 position...the #4 had been killed. Took that out.

I believe most of the classic LP's used 500k pots, and most modern ones used 300k pots. My '80 Custom came stock with 300k's. Seymour Duncan probably designed their pups for 250k-300k pots knowing that most of them would go into more modern instruments.
That being said- I really like the 50's wiring setup with 500k pots. It gives a lot more tonal flexibility, and doesn't kill the treble as much when the volume knob is turned down.

I just added the treble bleed cap and resistor. Haven't played out with it yet though.

I also added a push pull 250k...love the extra combos.

Back