ROADSTER WITH OD-808

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiSeRY

Reaction score
So I'm running an OD-808 in the front of my Roadster combo and on the gain channels it sounds absolutely incredible. Problem is, that now my clean tones are too hot....even with the gain turned all the way down on them. Is my only option at this point to turn back the level on the Maxon? Seems like a ton of people use these configurations, so I wanted to get some input from you guys.

Thanks

If you don't have a switching system, you have 2 options...either max the output on the Maxon for maximum crunch and switch it off going to cleans, or set it for unity gain (output around 12 Noon) so that it doesn't spike the volume of your cleans. I go back and forth between the two.

Silverwulf said:
If you don't have a switching system, you have 2 options...either max the output on the Maxon for maximum crunch and switch it off going to cleans, or set it for unity gain (output around 12 Noon) so that it doesn't spike the volume of your cleans. I go back and forth between the two.

yep. kind of what I figured. since I have the Maxon mounted in a rack case and don't feel like tap-dancing with switching the mesa footswitch AND the Maxon, I guess I'll just have to try the unity gain. Do you lose a lot of the qualities of the Maxon at unity vs. having it dimed out?

i've encountered the same issue using my ts9dx...i have the level up to about 75% and it clips on the tweed setting...so i have to either roll back the guitar's volume and tap the coils on my guitar, or switch off the pedal when going to channel one...either way is frustrating to a certain degree, but i also believe i can make it a smooth transition if i am mindful of how hard i am strumming.

MiSeRY said:
yep. kind of what I figured. since I have the Maxon mounted in a rack case and don't feel like tap-dancing with switching the mesa footswitch AND the Maxon, I guess I'll just have to try the unity gain. Do you lose a lot of the qualities of the Maxon at unity vs. having it dimed out?

Well, you lose and gain a little something actually. It doesn't hit the preamp as hard and it doesn't give your OD channel as much "oomph" and effect as having it dimed out. So, you do lose some in that respect. However, I've found that setting the output around that unity gain ratio (12 Noon-ish) is pretty cool too. It doesn't spike your clean volume, and you can rely on picking dynamics to alter your clean tone. You can pick lighter on cleans to keep a relatively clean sound on the clean channel. Or, you can really dig into the strings and get a little grit for that bluesy overdrive sort of sound, which is pretty cool that you can alternate between the two just using your pick attack and not rely on your volume knob on the guitar any.

So, it's a dual edged sword and I use it both ways depending on my mood. When I want maximum crunch, I dime the ouput. When I don't feel like pedal dancing as much, I'll back off it to 12 Noon...because having to push one extra button isn't worth dropping hundreds of dollars on a switching system IMO... 8)

MusicManJP6 said:
Well said silverwulf. I'm assuming your gain remains at zero and tone to taste regardless of your level setting?

Yeah, my Gain on the pedal is always shut completely off. Tone is to taste, though I tend to use it around 12 o'clock if I have to play at lower to moderate volumes for gigs (for extra bite and attack), and I usually back off it to around 10 o'clock if I really get to open the amp up some.

For metal playing, I usually go for maximum crunch and dime the Output on the pedal, and I keep the Gain on the Recto at 12 Noon.

Latest posts

Back