Roadster Setting Help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

negan1

Reaction score
I just got a Roadster two days ago. I looked at the manual and followed some presets.
The Crunch and Insane (4) channel sound awesome.
But I can't get a very clean setting out of the clean channel. It almost instantly distorts. (On a neck pickup) Bridge pickup is fine. But I like the EMG 85 for cleans just because it sounds much better almost like a single coil.
I don't know what to do.
Anyone even Road-king or Rectifier users can you help me out?
Also, channel 3, rhythm, sounds horrible.
Sounds like something is being put through a blender literally
Help with that?
Channel 4 and 2 sound amazing channel four is good A7X Linkin Park or any hi gain setting.
2 is perfect for ACDC crunch the way its set.
I'm just having alot of trouble with those two channels
Also,
the reverb when I switch to clean makes a horrible noise. Anyone know how to fix it without turning the reverb off before switching?

But I can't get a very clean setting out of the clean channel. It almost instantly distorts.

Make sure you dont have the gain up too high- also, what mode is your clean channels on? The Roadsters have amazing cleans- double check your settings...

Laskyman

Gain at 9
treble 3
mid 8:30
bass 1
presence 5
master 12
clean mode 100 watt recto
talking o' clock.

3 100 watt vintage recto
gain 1
treble 12
mid 12
bass 3
presence 11
master 12 30
once again talking o clock

negan1 said:
Gain at 9
treble 3
mid 8:30
bass 1
presence 5
master 12
clean mode 100 watt recto
talking o' clock.

3 100 watt vintage recto
gain 1
treble 12
mid 12
bass 3
presence 11
master 12 30
once again talking o clock

ok for a good clean try the diodes instead of the recto tubes, also back off the treble to about 12:30-1 and presence to 1. brings the mids up a little to add some body. also since its hard to balance all 4 channels and still have a great clean with tons of headroom, use the solo switch with your cleans as it adds the right amount of treble to make it shimmer.

for channel 3 i'd say switch it to diodes once again, get your bass down to 12, presence at 1 and take your master down to 11. use the amps output as your volume control. basically right now you have a lot of preamp gain, i think by using more power amp gain you'll get a better tone IMO

I also have found that if the amp sounds a bit buzzy, just knock the presence down a bit.

Ciao ...

settle down relax and take some time to mess with your settings, im sure your gain is way to high on the clean also remove alot of the bass too. dont worry youlll be stoked the end of the week!

I def takes some tweaking and tones I picked out initially I soon changed when I start playing with my band. Always a work in progress

This doesn't apply to the OP, but for other new Roadster users, if you have one of the combos, be aware that it has a very, very horizontally focused "throw" even at high volumes and sounds much different (and louder, and better) in front of the amp than above it (like, where you're standing when the amp's on the floor.)

This is true of all closed-back cabs but it's REALLY true of the Roadster combo.

Either get it off the ground or move it back from the rest of the band and turn it up a little...

CoG said:
This doesn't apply to the OP, but for other new Roadster users, if you have one of the combos, be aware that it has a very, very horizontally focused "throw" even at high volumes and sounds much different (and louder, and better) in front of the amp than above it (like, where you're standing when the amp's on the floor.)

This is true of all closed-back cabs but it's REALLY true of the Roadster combo.

Either get it off the ground or move it back from the rest of the band and turn it up a little...

I agree 100%. I cant hardle hear mine standing next to it, but mover about 20 ft in front of it and it beams just like a 4x12. The guys I play with call my Roadster a mini stack.

JW123 said:
CoG said:

I agree 100%. I cant hardle hear mine standing next to it, but mover about 20 ft in front of it and it beams just like a 4x12. The guys I play with call my Roadster a mini stack.

Hahaha same thing here! On my side, I put my combo on the cover of my pedalboard, which is about 6 inches, so is just a little up the ground and I can hear it a lot more.

I've got an angles amp stand for my roadster, plus i've taken the back off of it before and there is not a whole lot of change in the tone that i couldn't tweak out and it still kills the other guitar player low-end marshall stack!

CoG said:

I couldn't agree with this more. I think more amps are like this than people realize. I have a Peavey JSX 212 that is the same way. My new Roadster Head with the Roadster 2 X 12 cabinet seems to be the same way. I just try to get a little farther away from the amp.

On the setting for a clean sound, I really like the clean sounds I am getting. I have found that channel 1 gives me that just starting to break up a little sound that I have been looking for for a long time. I use channel 2 for my really clean sound. I use it in 100 watt mode with the diode rectifier. I put the gain 12 o'clock and all of the eq knobs at 12 also. I will adjust the presence according to the guitar I am using. It is usually around 12 to 1 o'clock.

The best advice I can give you is to read the manual and read about what each control does. I normally don't read these things but had time one evening and decided to read through it. I learned that the controls on these amps have a sweet spot in them. It will also tell you that there are some "secret" functions of each knob. What I mean by this is it will tell you that if you want a little darker sound to run the gain a little higher, turn it down for more of a sparkling sound. Once you read through there and understand what each control does and how it affects the other controls, you will have a better idea of what to adjust to get the sound you are looking for. I have never read a better manual for how the controls work and how to get a sound you are looking for.

On the setting for a clean sound, I really like the clean sounds I am getting. I have found that channel 1 gives me that just starting to break up a little sound that I have been looking for for a long time. I use channel 2 for my really clean sound

As do I- channel 1 is tweed, channel 2 is Fat....

I have never read a better manual for how the controls work and how to get a sound you are looking for.

I agree with this- this is how all manuals should read...

laskyman

Latest posts

Back