"Road To Tabriz" (mark 2b)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
"Road To Tabriz"

preview of an upcoming all-instrumental album i'm considering releasing.
i've got 6 of these finished, about 4 more almost done.

this one is a rock instrumental, fast tempo with spacey breakdown, lots of strat tones, jamming bass line, harmony guitar parts, a bit progressive.

i used a 60 watt mark2b head, into a Avatar vintage closed back 1x12 with a celestion G12C for all the guitar tracks.
guitar= USACG super strat with bill lawrence pickups and hipshot trem.

any mix suggestions as i get this thing dialed in?

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/road-to-tabriz

Some archeologist suggested that Garden of Eden must have been located in Tabriz, the history of civilization in the city has been dated to the first millennium B.C

sounds good as always gonzo.

singles on that strat sound huge. no pdi-09 ?

change up in the middle throws ya for a loop but song still flows.

i dig it my man !

alright benny!!

thanks for breaking the ice.....

i thought a lot more folks would be checking this one out...

it's got pure mesa vintage tone all over it.

in fact, it was a blast trying to come up with as many edgy clean tones as i could get, out of one amp and one guitar.......

actually, the rhythms are all pdi-09.
the solo is miced.

i find it's best when you blend certain tracks that way...

in fact, it's the same, with microphones, preamps, and effects...

if you have too many signals using the same equipment, say, 5 guitar parts all done thru a 57 and the same mic preamp, they all tend to have the same sonic fingerprint....
like a 'color' that's all the same.

i like to mix it up, like a chef's salad!!
LOL

the pdi-09 is SO SENSITIVE to tone and gain.... it's really easy to dial in crispy in your face sounds with that thing.
it's very easy to EQ, and to apply effects at mixdown, everything comes thru super clear....

but when EVERY track sounds like that, it can get TOO edgy.

it's nice to throw some room mics in there, some off axis micing technique, and other things, to make the sounds very distinct.

anyway, appreciate the comments.

ah gonzo,

you should know by now if it isn't some metallica riff or a dream pertrucci or an all original from your death band murdered children, not too many people on this board are going to listen, or at least reply.

i think it is great. i'd be quiet proud of it.

BENNY said:
ah gonzo,

you should know by now if it isn't some metallica riff or a dream pertrucci or an all original from your death band murdered children, not too many people on this board are going to listen, or at least reply.

i think it is great. i'd be quiet proud of it.

What he said.

Like the mix. It seems well balanced through my studio headphones. As usual, great playing. That Strat sounds really good.

This track seems to be such an ecclectic mix of styles I was wondering if I was listening to a 3-4 song mix..... so I heard it twice.... and then re-read your post. And while I'm typing this, having another listen. Somewhere around the 1:55mark to end it's sounds rather Pink Floyd-ish. Really cool.

I assume you played the bass? There's some great bass lines in it.

fantastic job gonzo......loved the strat tones.....and once again you put together something that sounds different and "out of the box" to me......i always love your stuff.

benny
metallica...
i used to listen to them....... years ago.
and i still love older dream theatre, as good as their current stuff is, to me, is mostly a re-hash of stuff they've already done.
petrucci is a monster player....
but the more he refines his sound, the more homogenous it gets for me.
like, throw him out on a limb, give him a les paul jr., and a fender vibrolux, and do all the theatre stuff with that!!!
LOL

thanks for listening and commenting

blaklynx
the strat was such a joy to put together....
the idea of hearing the pieces in their raw state, and putting it together, dialing it in...
it was fun.
the writing of this...
i'll tell you honestly, i could write stuff like this all day long, i have this endless running soundtrack in my head, of riffs and melodies, and sometimes just a few of them just seem to go together so easy......
so, yea, you could boil just one of them down to 'song', and milk it to death, but i figure i've got more ideas in my head than i will ever have time to finish out, and i like a good non-repeating story.
but i also DO focus on simple song arrangements too....... this is the 'counter' to that.

thanks for listening....
and yes, i played all the instruments on this, and programmed the drum track.
i played bass in a cover band for a long time, i put in a lot of 'bass' time.
LOL

masque
thanks man, i appreciate the kind words.

out of the box.
yes, that's what i want.

some folks just don't like that.... or just dont get it.
i write some very simple stuff, some sing-song stuff even, but this is the stuff i love the most.

Great tones, playing and recording skills . . . as ever.

wonderfull job Gonzo.

i can hear some SRV at the beginning, Peter Gabriel at the middle section and some JB from the there and back era.

love your wah tone . . creamy and powerfull with no wacky/trebly timbre. 8)

keep'em coming!!

Sounds very cool man, I like it, there's a lot of "colors" in there. Is it a real drums or digital? Keep it coming :)

Cool eclectic mix there. I was a fan of the Dixie Dregs. You have some of that big time change up thing going with the transitions to make it fit.

Well done.

wow guys, thanks for responding to my post....

i thought this thread was long dead, but it got revived!!
LOL

vigo
the srv influence is unescapable.
but to be sure, i've never played SRV tunes, i only love to listen and watch him play.
that beginning part, is definitly a 'dig into it like stevie used to do' kind of moment.

the wah is fun to use, it's a budda way, an older model, but has a really nice voicing.

bluestometal
thanks for listening...
the drums are technically 'REAL', but are triggered 24 bit samples using Toontracks Superior Drummer.
i build each kit from scratch, and then tune each drum for a specific sound.
then they get mixed down to stereo, and i have effects and panning on the entire kit done inside the superior mixer.

heritage
dixie dregs?!!
heheh, yep, i'm a fan, since about 1975.
first time i saw them, they were opening for Kiss, at the old jacksonville florida coliseum, and have seen them 7 more times since then.
way cool thing, saw the steve morse band play about 4 years ago, and actually got to meet rod morgenstein.
hey, thanks for listening

Back