Road King II effects loop issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyboogie

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have had my RK II for a few years and I love it.

Recently I decided to take our love to a new level by introducing some delay and modulation effects into the infamous effects loops.

I have bought the ebtech level shifter (actually I have two - one for each loop) and I use them between the rack delay (an old roland digital delay) and my line 6 modulation unit (a DM4).

I simply cannot eliminate the volume and tone change that occurs when I activate either loop.

I have tried tweaking the loop level on the back of the RK and also the master volumes on the channels.

It doesn't matter what I do, I always come back to this - when the loop is on I lose volume and bottom end. It makes the whole thing unusable.

I don't want a volume drop when I kick an effect in!

Is anyone else having this issue and is there a solution or should I just go back to muddy sounding delays and modulation effects by going through them into the front of the amp?

If that is so, that is really disappointing.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has any ideas for me.

Thanks for reading.

I'm not familiar with those FX units, however I have no volume issues with my G-Major in the loop of my Roadster (same series loop as the RKII). Do these FX units have input/output level controls?

The signal from the FX Loop is pretty much line level with the loop send at 12:00-1:00. Try the fx units one at a time without the ebtech level shifter and see if there is any difference.

Dom

Many thanks Dom. That worked. Despite posts to the contrary you don't need +4db at the send and return on the RK fx loop. It works fine with -10.

So I have a couple of ebtech units surplus. Perhaps I'll need one for my Mk IV?

It may have even been an impedance issue between the level shifter and FX Loop and/or effects. I run my G-Major at the "pro" level setting which I believe is +4. This let's me get the input and output levels up to around 70%.

Regardless, I'm glad it worked out.

Oh, and Welcome to The Board.

Dom

Latest posts

Back