Road King and four cable method +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arek

Reaction score
I have just acquired Boss GT-100.
Planning to hook it up to my Road King 2.
I know how to hook up the four cables. Don't know how to program it yet - any tips appreciated.

Also, would like to be able to switch the channels on RK using GT-100.
My guess is I have to use Amp Ctrl stereo output for that.
How do I hook it up to RK?
I was thinking of stereo to 2xmono split and then separate cable going to the back of RK (MIDI section).
What I basically need is a clean channel, modern metal channel and solo boost.

Any hints?

Hello Arek,

You will have to add a switcher like this one to your setup:
http://www.voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm

The GT100 will act as your foot controller, as well as providing front and loop effects - I have the POD HD 500 as a controller in a similar setup, only that I choose the 2 cable method, using a boost pedal (when necessary, true bypass) in front of my DR. The HD 500 is very transparent in the loop, and you can program some patches in your foot controller with the loop disengaged for tonal purity. Inevitably, any digital device without true bypass will add its own character to the tone, especially in front of the amp - to what extent is it noticeable? It depends on the device, your amp settings, use of overdrive, playing style, and after all, your own subjective feeling and convenience.

I tried the 4CM method with great results, the HD 500 adding a very subtle degree of compression and a very, very small limitation in the upper treble - almost unnoticeable to anyone but to those with very discerning ears - if you gig regularly, the added convenience may greatly compensate any (minimum) tonal trade-off.

In a tipical recording setup and when working with high-gain tones, even the most die-hard audiophile will have a hard time telling the difference between a front, tubescreamer-driven recto with its properly configured 4CM counterpart IMO.

Hope this helps.

Best :D ,
Marcelo

Latest posts

Back