Retubing an early 90's DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiSeRY

Reaction score
Well, so far I've tried the original factory Mesa Tubes and KT88's from Bob at Eurotubes. Neither have impressed me, one bit. The KT88's have a flabby bottom end IMHO, which is exactly what I don't want. I don't play leads, per se, so I don't need a real shimmery lead sound. What I do play is heavy, dynamic, articulate music in Drop D with a fair amount of palm muting that I like to hit me in the chest and go no further. I like no break up whatsoever...just a solid punch, like a kick drum. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be a good tube to try next? EL34's? 6L6? 6V6? This tube thing is becoming a rather expensive bit of trial and error. Here is a link to my band's MySpace page, if you wish to hear my current sound. This was recorded primarily with an oversized 4x12 Recto cab and a 98 Les Paul Standard. Thanks a ton, in advance for any comments.

http://www.myspace.com/covingtonmusic

have you ever tried the mesa str 6l6 420's? It's a much different sound than the standard 440's they have now. The 420's were the stock tubes mesa put into their 90's dual rectifiers and have a very sweet and smooth sound. The chords or leads are never harsh with them. It's the dual recto sound.

You can get them cheap on ebay or try calling Mesa.

I don't think I've tried those, unless that's what the guy had in there originally..which is totally possible. I'll do some research on those.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back