Rectoverb 25 Combo vs Roadster Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New cab day.

IMG_1563.jpg

Rather than type a review I've decided to post some crappy cellphone videos.

Clean and Vintage, both at 25w. Master volume around 10:00 on both channels. Clips are nothing special. I originally recorded them so I could hear what they sounded like recorded vs in-the-room since in-the-room the 4x12 has a clear advantage. Decided to post the results.

RV25 into Recto 4x12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFCjj5a3HrA

RV25 into Mini-Recto 1x12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWk0nz5i8I8

RV25 Combo, internal speaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ZdVySHgRw

RV25 Combo and Mini-Recto 1x12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2pbKZHKSXo

Really interesting comparisons. The 4x12 actually sounded a lot bigger, but also a little boomy. The new 1x12 didn't sound a big, but sounded really tight.

All of them sounded good :)

I've owned the Rectoverb Combo, but sold it, and just yesterday bought a Roadster 2x12. Frankly it blows it away in terms of tone versatility and power. I will NEVER sell my Roadster! Even though there are more switches and knobs, I've found it easier to dial in than the Rectoverb.

I just sold my Roadster combo, which I swore I'd never sell. What prompted this? It was the PERFECT amp as it sat stationary in the same spot for three years. All four channels were loaded with glorious tones. I loved that amp. Not too long ago, I was asked if I'd be willing to play in the church band. I miss gigging and the energy of playing live, and it sounded fun, so I agreed. I took the Roadster...all 100 pounds of it...to a rehearsal. It didn't take me long to realize this was going to get very old very fast. Plus it was mint...not a scratch on it...and as pricey as it was, I would have cried if I scuffed/tore the tolex or grill cloth. With all its heft and bulk, it would have been a certainty at some point in time.

I would have loved to keep it and buy a more portable solution, but I can't justify having multiple amps. So off it went. I'm really going to miss it.

The funny thing about this thread is the amp I bought to "replace" it (not sure it could ever truly be replaced) is a Rectoverb 25 combo. At 40 pounds, it is MUCH easier to transport. I gave up two channels, but I bought a Flux Five (haven't received it yet) in the hopes that it would more or less give me the two channels I'm missing. I've never been a pedal guy, so wish me luck. :)

Anyway, the Rectoverb 25 is fantastic!! It doesn't have the massive low end of the higher-horsepower Rectos, but I wouldn't say it's lacking. I think the re-jiggered EL-84 low end would actually help the Rectoverb sit better in a mix. I'll let you know if reality matches the theory. And the clean is to die for. I actually think it's better than the Roadster clean, which is funny because the preamp circuit is identical. So I'm guessing it's the open-back cabinet vs. the Roadster's closed back. Every cab I've ever owned was closed-back until now. Maybe the Fillmore 75 (fantastic speaker, by the way) plays a role here, too, but only a small one if it does.

On a funny note, I could play the 100W beast of an amp Roadster at bedroom volumes and it sounded killer. The "measly" 25W Rectoverb sounds like a kazoo at the same volume, LOL. Totally unusable. So I can't actually play the lower-wattage amp at a lower volume. This will make it harder to play at home when the kids are in bed. Didn't expect that one.

Funny robszab, I just did the opposite for playing at church! I sold my Rectoverb and bought a Roadster 2x12 combo, and I LOVE it. I feel like I can get more distinct levels of dirty channels out of it. Yeah it's heavy but I don't ever have to haul it up and down steps so that helps a ton.
16298684_10210843988270738_7510409660717331550_n.jpg

robszab said:
I took the Roadster...all 100 pounds of it...to a rehearsal. It didn't take me long to realize this was going to get very old very fast.

I've seen too many youtube videos of older guitarists selling fantastic Mesas because they've just gotten too heavy for them. I'm 48, so I decided to try and do something about it.

I work out with a 75 lb kettle bell three days a week for exactly that reason. My Mark V combo weighs 65 lbs, and even thought it has wheels, I still have to cart it up and down the stairs to get it out in public.

Note: I didn't say that I work out with a 75lb kettle bell *well*. Just that I'm doing it. I work from home, so on workout days I carry with me every time I change floors throughout the day.

robszab said:
Plus it was mint...not a scratch on it...and as pricey as it was, I would have cried if I scuffed/tore the tolex or grill cloth. With all its heft and bulk, it would have been a certainty at some point in time.

Yeah - this freaks me out, too. But these darn things were made to be *played*.

dlpasco said:
I've seen too many youtube videos of older guitarists selling fantastic Mesas because they've just gotten too heavy for them. I'm 48, so I decided to try and do something about it.

Funny enough, the guy who sold me the Rectoverb was getting rid of it for the same reason...too heavy for him! Anyway, I'm 43...recently shed 35 pounds. More fit than I've been in years. Thankfully, my back is still good...but that didn't make lifting the Roadster any more pleasant for me, haha.

dlpasco said:
Yeah - this freaks me out, too. But these darn things were made to be *played*.

Oh, believe me, I played the heck out of the Roadster! I couldn't have imagined a better amp...so long as I didn't have to move it. :mrgreen:

sharpefather said:
Funny robszab, I just did the opposite for playing at church! I sold my Rectoverb and bought a Roadster 2x12 combo, and I LOVE it. I feel like I can get more distinct levels of dirty channels out of it. Yeah it's heavy but I don't ever have to haul it up and down steps so that helps a ton.

Congrats! It IS a stellar amp. Still my favorite in the Mesa lineup.

Latest posts

Back