Rect-o-verb Single Rec (looking for opinions vs Triple Rec)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyldh

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm new to the forum and I've been reading around different pages, but I just wanted to get anyone's opinion who might have hands-on experience with the amp I'm looking at. If you don't want to read my background B.S., just skip to the "So here's the plan..." section.

What I want:
Modern rectifier distortion
Clean channel with reverb that has a nice "full" sound similar to Mesa Studio Pre... or Fender/MusicMan amps.

A little background:
I used to play a Triple Rec through a 4x12 cab. Amazing sounding amp, but holy overkill. Also, I didn't really dig the clean channel. I actually used a separate MusicMan head in conjunction to solve my clean tone problem. But with the different things that all needed wired up 2 tube heads to 1 cab every show there were like 15 cables to plug in and I got tired of rushing to set it all up before my band's sets.
I then got rid of the Triple Rec and said "Hey, why not try a rack head?" So I got the rack head and Mesa Studio Pre and Mesa Rectifier Recording Pre. I really liked having these in the home studio, but it just didn't have the sound I wanted live. Didn't have the "life" that the Triple Rec had.

So here's the plan...
I'm thinking about getting a Rectoverb 50 1x12 combo, and I have a 2x12 slanted recto cab that I'll be using it with to help 'spread out the sound' and maybe gain some more low end. I'm thinking, from everything I've read, that the 50w Tube Mesa will be pleeenty loud enough to play any of the small/medium bars and clubs that we'd be playing. Is that accurate?

I unfortunately can't PLAY a rectoverb. I'm going to have to blindly order one online (bummer!). How is the clean tone? Will I be able to achieve similar modern gain sounds to my old Triple Rec?

I'm sorry for the long post asking questions that surely have been asked before. I'm just hoping that someone responding will have some hands-on experience with both Triple Rec and Rectoverb and be able to give their opinion.

I always thought the Rectoverbs had the "bounciest", "cleanest", most "bell" like clean tones of the Rectifiers (before the Roadster, of course!). 8)

Thanks. That's good to hear. Bell-like would be perfect. I actually bit the bullet and ordered a Rectoverb 50 Combo from Guitar Center. They had one that they said was in "perfect" condition, so I decided to jump on it. It should be waiting for me when I get home from work.

I play a strat with a Lace Gold in the neck and Railhammer Hyper Vintage in the bridge. Hopefully the Lace will really help that clean bell-like tone shine.

Awesome review, thanks! You mentioned in your Boogie Board post that you bypass the Rectoverb's preamp and use your own. How is this done? Is it possible to use a separate preamp only for the clean channel so you can still use the Rectoverb's distortion channel as-is?

I actually asked that last question already in separate thread: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=66626

Just got my Rectoverb yesterday so I just figured I'd post an update in case anyone else stumbles upon this post with the same questions.

Comparing against my old Triple Rec...

On the topic of volume... Obviously 1/3 the number of Power tubes and therefore 1/3 the wattage, but it's honestly every bit as powerful to the naked ear. Meaning... if you're like me and playing in smaller bars/clubs... hell, even the occasional outdoor show... it is PLENTY loud enough. I never used all of the Triple's power anyhow. I feel like only having 50w, it allows me to "stretch the amp's legs" a bit more.

This was my first experience with a Black Shadow speaker and I actually like it a lot. Seems just slightly brighter than a Vintage 30. That combined with my 2x12 vertical Recto cabinet with Vintage 30 speakers results in a very cool sound. I feel like I have all the tight low-end that my Triple Rec with 4x12 Recto cab gave me.

The tonal possibilities that this amp gives me are amazing. I never really liked the clean tone I got from my Triple Rec. It always seemed sort of "sterile" and "lifeless" to me. I really actually enjoy the clean tone on the Rectoverb a lot. It's not going to sound like some of those Fender or Boogie amps (I've heard the Mark amps have amazing clean) that were designed for great cleans BUT, it's more than good enough for my needs.

Mine arrived with the reverb non-functional :roll: So I have a bit of troubleshooting to do. Already checked the connections and tubes. Going to pull the tank out tonight and make sure all the springs and wires are still connected inside.

All-in-all... I couldn't be happier with this purchase and I feel like the Rectoverb is a much better fit for me than the Triple Rec was.

Sorry the late reply. Congrats on the new amp. Rectoverb is plenty loud and packs a decent punch. Enjoy.

As for adding a preamp.... as per the other thread you linked to, that's the way to do it. Get an ABY box and you're on your way.

Alternatively, get a loop pedal with 2 loops...... see below:

I have a particular effects loop pedal but it's so unique I'm amazed with it. I bought it approx. 4yrs ago but I cannot find the guy that made it. It was some dude on ebay that made some very unique pedals.

This particular one had 2 loop channels, a level knob on each channel, a phase switch on one of the channels, toggle switches to flick the clean guitar signal into each channel if desired, toggle switch to reverse the signal order (A>B or B>A) and a couple of other things. Best non-effect pedal I ever bought. Here is a post back in 2010 of how I hooked it up: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=46915

A simple 2 ch looper will be enough but if both channels are running at the same time, you'd need a phase switch to make sure both preamps are in phase. And the signal would only go A>B, unless you install a switch to be able to flick the order. Here's a mob I've bought from about 4yrs ago http://www.roadrageprogear.com/true_bypass_loopers_c.html

As for pops when switching, I've never had a problem with the one I bought ready made, however, I never built it so maybe it was taken care of by the maker. A homemade looper may pop but one I built for my effects pedals (a 10ch beast of a kit from Roadrage) doesn't.

ABY pedal is different to the looper pedal method. Up to you on how you think one benefits the other.

For your reverb, I would've suggested to look at tank connections, broken wires to tank, bad solder joints to PCB, faulty tank, failing tube. Process of elimination...

Have fun.

Back