Recone, replace, or retreat? EV in a Subway Blues?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoner

Reaction score
I have been having a love/hate relationship for some time now with my Subway Blues combo and now have a new problem that may provide an opportunity for further improvement (I hope). I went to jam at a buddy's place this past weekend and after setting up and getting fired up to play with some old and dear folks who I hadn't seen in some time, I took the amp off standby and.......nothing. A quick troubleshoot told me that the amp itself was O.K., but it appears the speaker passed away.

I'm trying to decide if seeking out a direct replacement is best, or if I should just have the bad one reconed (I have had good and bad reconing experiences). This brings up another question in my mind, however. I have been a huge fan of the EV speakers that lived in my past Mark series amps and current C+, but I don't know how logical it would be to seek one out and pop it into the Sub. The main thing I like about the EV is that it seems to be very "neutral" compared to the Black Shadows and Celestions I have experimented with. There seems to be more bottom and an extended, smooth high end that the Celestions seem to lack (they seem darker and also seemed to have a narrower frequency response), and the greater efficiency can't hurt either, right? My questions are as follows:

Anyone ever retrofit a 10" EV into their Subway Blues?

Is putting a high-efficiency, monster speaker in a 20 watt peashooter like the Sub a horrible waste?

Does the 10" version of the EV have the same tonal character (not much coloration and very little breakup) as the bigger 12" unit?

Any suggestions on a replacement 10" that would suit a non-metal, medium-gain application?

I'm almost tempted to try out some other smaller grab-and-go rigs since this has been kind of a process getting the Sub sorted out (bad reverb pan rattle, changed loop to series 'cuz I detest a parallel loop, still unresolved popping when toggling off) but it is putting out some pretty sweet tones and when I pop it on top of my widebody 1x12 (with EV) it really kicks some booty. I'd like to hear any suggestions before I go forth and experiment with different aftermarket speaks, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Z

Mine kicks butt with an Eminence Ragin Cagin 10. It's the grab and go amp. I never even considered a high end speaker for it. It doesn't need it and I've got other amps with that stuff in it.

Alivefor5 said:
Mine kicks butt with an Eminence Ragin Cagin 10. It's the grab and go amp. I never even considered a high end speaker for it. It doesn't need it and I've got other amps with that stuff in it.

silly name but a nice sounding speaker!

The EV Force series 10" speaker would make your dreams come true with less weight than an EVM 10. They are no longer made but some diligent watching on fleabay could turn up one for less than you think as these were very underrated speakers.

All the EV 10" guitar speakers are rare breeds. They are super hard to find. I have thought about loading one in a Subway or an Express or a Princeton. I think it would be a great idea, either way.

... my choice would be .. a 25 to 35 watt ALNICO with a nice 'medium' sized voice coil.

Latest posts

Back