recommend a boost for stiletto duece

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadowsky13

Reaction score
Might be getting a stiletto deuce in the near future, just wondering what boosts you guys have been using. If things work out and I get it I am considering adding a boost to tighten things up a bit and give me a bit more versatility. The one I am looking at is the BB Preamp. Any other advice or recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance

sadowsky13 said:
Might be getting a stiletto deuce in the near future, just wondering what boosts you guys have been using. If things work out and I get it I am considering adding a boost to tighten things up a bit and give me a bit more versatility. The one I am looking at is the BB Preamp. Any other advice or recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance

I found the Stiletto Deuce II rather tight sounding already but... :?

I don't know about "tightening things up" (I never really understood what that means or actually heard that in action), but Xotic AC was good at adding additional gain without altering the tone. BB is pretty high gain - I've never turned my AC gain knob past 12:00 because there is so much gain already in Stiletto, so there is room to spare.

the ocd is cool. ive had great results with a rat. currently liking a 5 star modded SD-1.

I like the EH Nano LPB-1. Adds volume with not a lot of gain up to the 1200 position, after that it adds a bit of overdrive without any flub...

ty

Yeah, there really is a ton of gain in the Stiletto, more than it gets credit for. I think it's just the natural tone of the amp by itself that makes it better suited for a specific range of music styles. But add an EQ in the loop, scoop the mids, boost the bass, and you have a mad heavy metal amp to play anything from Metallica to Tool with ease. It's all in the voicing, not the gain.

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess my main reason for wanting the boost is to use on channel one. Ie: set one for clean, boost for that chanel to dirty it up and then use channel 2 for heavier stuff or solo.

I like using a MXR Boost/Line Driver thats designed by Custom audio electronics. I think the model is mc104 or mc401 doesn't say on the pedal. Anyway great for channel 1 in the crunch mode definetly gives you some added richness. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap.

sadowsky: that's how I ran my Ace - clean, a pedal to put some dirt around it, and Ch 2 for leads. The Xotic AC did exactly that. In fact, fat clean (gain at 3:00) with my Xotic pedal was my "go to" sound on on Stiletto. Thought I was crazy for doing that until I saw Andy Timmons did the same on Stiletto using Xotic and a clean channel.

I am selling a like new AC+ ($210 shipped) if interested. I don't have a Stiletto any longer and haven't found a need yet for a boost pedal. If I do I'll probably pick up the one button AC to take up less room on my board. The Xotic site has some good video demos with Timmons and how he uses the AC+.

I used to use a BYOC 808 clone for a boost, but I found the drop in the bass annoying.
Now I use the AC booster. I have the gain on about 0.5.
I run:
ch1 on the crunch setting so it's pretty much clean but I can rip into the strings more for more break up.
ch2 tite gain, gain about 5.
It sounds great on both channels. Crunch sound on ch1 and lead boost on ch2
I like it because it's incredibly transparent and you can adjust the bass and treble.

Ive been thinking about getting one of those BYOC kits. how are they? Are they worth getting?
owen! said:
I used to use a BYOC 808 clone for a boost, but I found the drop in the bass annoying.
Now I use the AC booster. I have the gain on about 0.5.
I run:
ch1 on the crunch setting so it's pretty much clean but I can rip into the strings more for more break up.
ch2 tite gain, gain about 5.
It sounds great on both channels. Crunch sound on ch1 and lead boost on ch2
I like it because it's incredibly transparent and you can adjust the bass and treble.

I love the BYOC 808. I've never a/b it with an original so I can't comment there, but the sound itself is great. And if you want more gain or bass you just use the mods provided with the kit.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, I would highly recomend it. And if not, you could probably build one anyway.

(and it's also cool when people come up to you after a gig and ask what that wierd grey box is and you get to tell them you built it yourself)

Jak0lantern01 said:
Yeah, there really is a ton of gain in the Stiletto, more than it gets credit for. I think it's just the natural tone of the amp by itself that makes it better suited for a specific range of music styles. But add an EQ in the loop, scoop the mids, boost the bass, and you have a mad heavy metal amp to play anything from Metallica to Tool with ease. It's all in the voicing, not the gain.

I jammed on one the other day and that was the feeling I walked away with.

For classic rock, simply turn it on and it's ready to go.

For metal, it seemed like an EQ (or me fiddling with the settings for another hour or two) would be needed.

Tons of gain on tap with the stiletto.

Man I love that crunch channel!

Ditto, I just love the crunch setting. I play in a cover band that does predominently classic rock and 80's rock. I find I play the majority of our stuff on the channel one crunch channel and it just sounds so full and cuts through the mix easily.

By the way thanks to everyone for the input I tried a bunch and ended up getting an MXR wydle overdrive. I use it only sparingly with the drive set low. Most of the time I am running on crunch without a boost.

Latest posts

Back