Re: anybody tried KT77 power tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott from _actual time_

Reaction score
has anyone tried KT77 power tubes in a Mark V?

they sound like a cross between a 6L6 and an EL34, and they bias like an EL34. i love them in my Bogner. i've experimented with two 6L6 and two EL34, but i'd rather run all four of the same type of tube.

anyone?

i tried it but went back to the 6l6's. Having said that I LOVE how the kt77's sound in my XXX.

i still prefer el34s over anything right now, just turn up the bass a bit in the geq to get that "missing" bass responce that comes from the el34s. I just cant get the tightness and clearity of 6l6s. That being said i do want to try a nice set of kt77s so i can use less bass and shape my tone a little better. Either way the mark slays with either 6l6's or el34s.

scott from _actual time_ said:
has anyone tried KT77 power tubes in a Mark V?

they sound like a cross between a 6L6 and an EL34, and they bias like an EL34. i love them in my Bogner. i've experimented with two 6L6 and two EL34, but i'd rather run all four of the same type of tube.

anyone?

I have a bunch and decided I like to run 6l6 and KT 77's as an integrated quad (more or less) in my Blue Stripe Mark 3. My splawn Nitro came stock with Kt 77 and they were decent on the clean channel but too wide and loose on the gain channel. The Nito was literally made with EL34's in mind.

BTW, do you have the 5 way Otax wiring with the push pull tone control anymore ? Would you be willing to share it ? Thanks

Paul Secondino said:
I have a bunch and decided I like to run 6l6 and KT 77's as an integrated quad (more or less) in my Blue Stripe Mark 3.

BTW, do you have the 5 way Otax wiring with the push pull tone control anymore ? Would you be willing to share it ? Thanks
cool. my EL34 tests have been ok so far--the mids are awesome, but the low end is a bit loose. i'm going to try to test some KT77s.

PM me about the wiring diagram--i've got those all saved somewhere and can dig it up for you.

PM sent. I should also add that the tightest sounding EL 34 is likely to be the JJ E34L. It has less bass response than most CHinese or Russian EL34's . IN effect , less bass sounds tighter but not necessarily fuller.

I chose 6l6 with Kt 77 in my Mark 3 because the El34's sounded thinner than what the voicing of the amp was trying to put out I think. With the integrated quad, my Mark 3 sounds noticeably tighter and clearer in the bass response than stock. On something like a Mark 5 , I'm not sure El34's are needed at all.

I have JJ EL34L's in the outside sockets of my Mark IV right now. Awesome tube and cheap too. Compared to all 4 Mesa brand 6L6's the EL's have a more lush midrange, more musical, and the clean channel didn't take much of a hit. If I put the 6L6's back in it has a little more bottom end but also a shrill high end and not much in between. I'll have my new SED EL34's in on Monday so I'll report back. :D

i had e34l's in my old one and tried kt77's.I did not like the kt77's made the amp feel a bit stiff

Totally makes the amp feel a bit stiff. I didnt like it much at all. I really liked em in the JSX i had, but not the MV

El34's where its at for now

Latest posts

Back