Rack cases

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugsy41

Reaction score
When discussing rack cases, what is best? Which provides better protection for your gear?

Upon recently acquiring rack gear, the question is now whether to get a plastic moulded case or a wooden case. What about shock vs non-shock units? Do they really provide extra protection? Any weight constraints?

My thoughts are that if I end up investing in one, I'll probably buy a rack mount for my IIC+ to have in their as well. So, with all that weight, would it be better to purchase the wooden over the plastic?

Any help appreciated!

Chris

I've had much better luck with wood than plastic. The plastic easily deforms. I have used a number of rack cases, and my favorite so far has been a Roadrunner 8U. It is a great balance of quality and price IMO. It's SOLID. I got it on sale for like $150.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/road-runner-deluxe-effects-rack

I think the shock-mounts are really the best for protecting gear, but they are pricey, and quite a bit larger than non-shock-mount.

You have to look at what you will do with it. Will it sit at home on a table? 4 gigs a year where you carry it personally? Or a gig every week with no idea who will carry it?

For tube equipment, you will want to be as gentle as possible. Tubes do not like mechanical shocks. I find that I can carry my rack gently enough, so I don't worry about it.

For stuff that sits in my home studio, I use the cheapest plastic cases I can find.

hugsy41 said:
When discussing rack cases, what is best? Which provides better protection for your gear?

Upon recently acquiring rack gear, the question is now whether to get a plastic moulded case or a wooden case. What about shock vs non-shock units? Do they really provide extra protection? Any weight constraints?

My thoughts are that if I end up investing in one, I'll probably buy a rack mount for my IIC+ to have in their as well. So, with all that weight, would it be better to purchase the wooden over the plastic?

Any help appreciated!

Chris

Chris,

Wood over plastic if "protecting your gear" is the priority.

ZachPetersen2011.jpg

Recommend considering put your amp in a separate case. The weight otherwise, is the opposite of thrilling.

zachman said:

+1000

I use a shockmount (case-in-case) rack case with blue wheels underneath. It´s bulky and heavy but I wouldn´t wanna compromise that for a lighter and lesser safe rack.

Just my 2 €-cents

Triaxstasy said:
zachman said:

+1000

I use a shockmount (case-in-case) rack case with blue wheels underneath. It´s bulky and heavy but I wouldn´t wanna compromise that for a lighter and lesser safe rack.

Just my 2 €-cents

Amen!! ATA Shock mount cases ftw.

I've had really good fortune with Rock Hard Cases and The Case Guys (aka SafeCases on eBay).

I would recommend no others.

Weight is the biggest issue for me, I need help loading in & out. This puppy is way heavier than my Recto 4X12! It is a huge timesaver having everything connected though, once someone helps me lift it on stage (or onto my 4x12) it takes me no time to be setup and ready to play. I have a dolly for it, and will usually leave it on the dolly next to the cab(s) unless there is no room.

front1.jpg

frontfull.jpg

Good cases not only protect your gear, they keep you organized which makes it easy to get to what you need fast (or notice if something is missing).

boardcase.jpg

board1.jpg

Both cases are from "The Case Guys" on Ebay, pedalboard is home-made.

Dom

Like everyone else said,wood over plastic any day...if you live where I do and it gets down to 20 below(even on one day that you haul it outside),ive seen plastic racks shatter and bust apart..ive used mesa's shockmouints forever-no issues.....bummer though- they dont still make em.

Doesn't matter if it's made of wood, plastic, or Wolverine's claws if it isn't a shockmount. Personally I prefer plastic because it will react to bumps and shocks waaayyyyy better than wood. Wood will transmit mechanical shock, plastic absorbs a lot of it.

we witnessed a cartage company dropping a plastic rack off a truck in the middle of winter.they caught it as it was landing on its wheels, but because it was so cold,coming out of a cold tour truck,the plastic shell shattered anyways.I wish we would have got it on film.that pretty much put the clinkers on us owning a plastic shock mount in the winter time on a professional tour. if the shock mount rack is properly built,it shouldn't matter how it gets bounced around.we've had the best luck w/mesa racks....

I've been using A&S cases for years from Hawaii to California to Baltimore and back and back to Hawaii. Great cases!

IMAG0449.jpg

MissionControl-1.jpg

CarlosB3setup.jpg

buster002-1.jpg

259700_2030030599467_1505171584_2248594_4896698_o.jpg

zachman said:
I've been using A&S cases for years from Hawaii to California to Baltimore and back and back to Hawaii. Great cases!

IMAG0449.jpg

MissionControl-1.jpg

CarlosB3setup.jpg

buster002-1.jpg

Zman! I like those racks too! I considered them at 1 time nice strong quality Racks.hey how's your tri chorus working out? compared to the TC 1210?..I just ran through a Rockman chorus the other day and IT sounded better than I thought it was going to.

Littleb said:
zachman said:

IMAG0449.jpg

MissionControl-1.jpg

CarlosB3setup.jpg

buster002-1.jpg

Zman! I like those racks too! I considered them at 1 time nice strong quality Racks.hey how's your tri chorus working out? compared to the TC 1210?..I just ran through a Rockman chorus the other day and IT sounded better than I thought it was going to.

The CS5 sounds totally different than the 1210. I love them both.

Latest posts

Back