RA 100 Head vs. Combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assumer

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think. I have ordered the head with an ETA of late next week. They do have a combo in stock to ship immediatly. My current amp is running through a Genz Benz Black Pearl 2x12 cab with red fangs.(british voiced eminance) I have always had combos until now and like the open back sound. Anyway, what do you guys think? Why do you prefer one over the other?

I have played both and noticed little difference when using a recto 2x12 vs the combo. The 2x12 closed back is a little tighter but not that much different at all. The combo has a mostly closed back and both the combo and the head weigh a ton (although the combo is much heavier). If I were getting the amp for gigging only I would lean towards the combo to reduce the number of gear trips. I leave a cab at my practice spot so I opted for the head.

I would have gone for the head if not for the 6 to 8 weeks for the custom order. The amp is very heavy and bulky. It is a pain to get it in and out of a car. It does come with easily removeable casters and side and top handles.

There is no way I'd get the combo due to weight. If you want the open back cab sound, just get an open back cab. I have both closed and open that I use with my ED depending on what I want at the time.

J.J said:
There is no way I'd get the combo due to weight. If you want the open back cab sound, just get an open back cab. I have both closed and open that I use with my ED depending on what I want at the time.
I was thinking the same thing. I went with the head and plan on using my Genz Benz Black Pearl 2x12 cab. It is open back with Red Fang Speakers. If it doesn't work out with the RA I can sell and get something else. Just second guessing as I always do after I make a purchase.

Latest posts

Back