Quick Video Demo: Mesa Boogie Mark V 6L6's vs EL34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are subtle differences, to my ear, but it isn't as glaringly obvious as it is when standing in front of it.

can't tell much difference (to my ears anyways). most likely root cause is that the output/master is not cranked loud enough (that's when the power tube saturation comes out). although I guess mesa amps are getting most of their sound from the preamp circuit and preamp tubes (maybe 60/40?)

you will "feel" the difference literally with a 412 and 6L6 (more bass for example)

i can't wait to get my M5....

IMHO, the Cleans and the High gain sounds are best with 6L6s and channel 2 sounds best with EL34s.

Whoa, huge difference to my ears. I personally like the EL34's much better on the hi-gain channel and like cleans with both the 6L6's and EL34's. Obviously the 6L6's sound more compressed but I think I'm gonna try this myself. So all you have to do is get a matched quad of EL34's, flip the switch and your done?

XxDAVIDxX said:
Whoa, huge difference to my ears. I personally like the EL34's much better on the hi-gain channel and like cleans with both the 6L6's and EL34's. Obviously the 6L6's sound more compressed but I think I'm gonna try this myself. So all you have to do is get a matched quad of EL34's, flip the switch and your done?

Mesa will recommend (demand) Mesa power tubes of course. But I currently run JJ E34L in my stiletto, no issues so far if they're rated right (call eurotubes).

Latest posts

Back