Questions about Triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzdarkside

Reaction score
Hi

I just got used Triaxis last week, It's V2 with fat mod. (Serial is over 8000). Due to an inexperience with Triaxis I just wanna ask that all of these are NORMAL ?

1. All modes sound VERY close
2. For preset 1-20. If I change the parameters and save It's only save for when I Jump to others preset and go back. But it's not save when I power off. The rest are OK
3. I noticed that LEAD 1 DRIVE handles gain for all modes in LD1 and LEAD 2 DRIVE handles for LD2, but I've found that in LD1 Red mode LEAD 2 DRIVE is involve and even more effect that LEAD 1 DRIVE
4. For my clean tone I've found that It's hard to make it EXTREMELY CLEAN and loud. If I tweak GAIN and DRIVE more sound goes "CRUNCH" only MASTER makes it lounder and it seems not enough
5. All modes in LD1 lack of gain even I go 10 it's only gives faint crunch sound. (I guess it's directly tube issue?)

by the way I haven't got 2:90 yet I just plugged it into "return" of my MK IV which I felt it's not PURE tone, Isn't this something to do with all questions above?

thanks

1: Define all modes? They all have a similar flavor, but gain levels should be different throughout. Lead 2 red should sound a lot thinner than the others. Lead 1 red, is it recto phat mod, or classic boogie lead?
RHY green and yellow are cleans, with green being fuller and yellow being thinner. Green and yellow on both Lead 1 and lead 2 should be similar, with lead 1 yellow being a gainier version of lead 1 green.

2: check the manual here: http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/Triaxis.pdf
I can't copy and paste the text, but it says "press 'shift' key then 'loop sw' key to defeat factory preset defaults. Make sure and read that section of the manaual. It's page 5

3: Lead 2 drive should NOT affect anything in lead 1. When I had my tri, it certainly didn't change my sound in the lead 1 modes.

4: Check your output knobs (the only pot on the face of the unit). It's possible you are overdriving the input on your mark 4. Depending on the pickups, try a gain setting of 3.5 and a master setting of 5, and don't run the treble above 6. You should get a good clean sound with that. If not, check the tubes.

5: Sounds like a tube, or could be a deeper issue related to Lead 2 drive affecting your lead 1 modes. Gain and Lead 1 both contribute to how much gain is available in the Lead 1 mode.

The 2:Ninety shouldn't be that much different than the power section of a mark IV.

when you want to save a preset for 1--20 and you want to save it you must save in anything from 21 and up... if i recall correctly
get the 2;90,,its awesome,,the triaxis NEEDS its own power amp,,,,plus you have the 3 modes in the 2;90...the deep mode is killer brutal
if thats what you like :wink:

Due to question NO.3 I'm getting more nervous

My Tri really acts like I mentioned above LEAD 2 DRIVE effects for gain A LOT on all 3 modes of LD1. Another way If I turn it to ZERO and only use LEAD 1 DRIVE it becomes bluesy tone. Does this sound like something is wrong inside the unit (not tubes I guess) to you ?. You know I got this as used I can't really know what happened before. But today I opened the cover It looks very clean inside like a virgin. I couldn't find any fingerprint on the plate inside and no sign of fixing anythings.

Do you have any Idea ?

and What tubes do you prefer for Triaxis. I would appreciate to see thread about tubes for Triaxis. I guess this could already have been discussed more or less

To me, that definitely sounds like something is wrong that is not a tube problem. It sounds like the switching system isn't switching the signal completely out of lead 2 to get to lead 1. Do either lead drives effect your clean tones (they aren't supposed to)?

JMMP said:
To me, that definitely sounds like something is wrong that is not a tube problem. It sounds like the switching system isn't switching the signal completely out of lead 2 to get to lead 1. Do either lead drives effect your clean tones (they aren't supposed to)?

I will try this and tell you tomorrow. And thank you so much for your help

The answer is

Only LEAD 2 DRIVE effects to clean tone which was so sensitive only "1" my clean tone became "crunch" while LEAD 1 DRIVE did nothing

Jazzdarkside said:
The answer is

Only LEAD 2 DRIVE effects to clean tone which was so sensitive only "1" my clean tone became "crunch" while LEAD 1 DRIVE did nothing

I would send it to mesa if you can, or have someone you trust look over it first. To the best of my knowledge and experience with the tri I had, lead drives should not effect cleans at all. You can double check by calling or emailing mesa. They have been more than helpful each time I've spoken with them.

Thank you so much for your help

My location is Thailand. I used to mail them but most of the time answer I got is "Try to contact you local dealer"
and you need to know this dealer here only knows "how to sell" and nothing they technically know about their product at all

Jazzdarkside said:
Hi

I just got used Triaxis last week, It's V2 with fat mod. (Serial is over 8000). Due to an inexperience with Triaxis I just wanna ask that all of these are NORMAL ?

1. All modes sound VERY close
2. For preset 1-20. If I change the parameters and save It's only save for when I Jump to others preset and go back. But it's not save when I power off. The rest are OK
3. I noticed that LEAD 1 DRIVE handles gain for all modes in LD1 and LEAD 2 DRIVE handles for LD2, but I've found that in LD1 Red mode LEAD 2 DRIVE is involve and even more effect that LEAD 1 DRIVE
4. For my clean tone I've found that It's hard to make it EXTREMELY CLEAN and loud. If I tweak GAIN and DRIVE more sound goes "CRUNCH" only MASTER makes it lounder and it seems not enough
5. All modes in LD1 lack of gain even I go 10 it's only gives faint crunch sound. (I guess it's directly tube issue?)

by the way I haven't got 2:90 yet I just plugged it into "return" of my MK IV which I felt it's not PURE tone, Isn't this something to do with all questions above?

thanks

1- All modes sound like boogies, but there are subtle differences, or there should be if your Tri is running correctly. As an example, the LD1 Red (recto) should not sound like the LD2 circuit.
2- go to the manual and look up the section that talks about overwriting factory defaults. Normally, the Tri will keep the factory settings, but you can definitely defeat them. I have done this.
3-You have an internal problem with your unit and you should send it back to the mothership. I have two Tri's and one of them recently started doing this.
4-I had this same problem a long time ago. What you need to do is start from scratch. Raise your power amp volume, build your clean tone first. Make them louder than what you actually need as a starting point. Set them to where when the master is on 4, the clean is very loud, this way you have some room to get louder in the future if you need to. After this, go and design your gain setting making sure that the cleans are as loud or even a bit louder...remember you can always turn them down and use the rotary knobs as a global master for the tri too.
5-again, something is not functioning correctly. try replacing all the tubes, and then if the problem continues, contact the mothership and tell them you need to visit sick bay.

Good Luck!

Back