Pure MK II C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronco

Reaction score
I have the good fortune to own an absolutely mint MKII C.
In reading this forum, it appears that probably the majority of this now rare amp ( around 1400 units produced, I believe) have been "upgraded" to C+ which means that the original IIC is probably now much rarer than the IIC+.
For this reason, I will not convert my amp.

I have been able to find excellent schematics for the IIC + but have NEVER seen schematics for the original MK IIC. Has anyone else out there ever seen straight IIC schematics? If so, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks!

It's rare because it was not all that good. It's desirable for the fact it can be upgraded to a C+. The reason it is referred to as a C minus is due to it's shrill lead tone and unusable effects loop. Like natural selection, in amps if there is an undesirable trait, it gets changed. If you like it, then keep it as a C. That's all that really counts.

There are no known schematics for the IIC.

the user JVK has reverse engineered a complete schem for the IIC. I can recommend his work 100%, but it will cost you. Let me know if you want his email address.

Frankly, I was surprised and disappointed to hear your comment that a IIC is not all that good (lousy?) Doesn't speak too highly of Mesa does it? ..especially where their sales literature all but proclaimed it to be the "second coming" Also, if it was that bad one would think that Mesa would have had a "recall" to upgrade such a terrible product representing what was supposed to be the best amp in the world at the time ..wow!
Also interesting to note that Mesa manufactured around 1400 IIC and NO schematic??? Maybe it was so bad that they just wanted to leave it undocumented so it would just go away?

'mesaboogie" I have read your posts and consider you to be without doubt, the most knowledgeable guy on this board. I was just shocked to hear what a low opinion you have of the IIC MINUS. Thank God I'm not a lead player.

PS
I was considering the "upgrade" a few years ago and Mesa advised a cost of about $400 plus shipping. I checked on price availability about a month ago and was told the upgrade is now $1000 !!!......rip off???
I think it's incredibly unfair to produce a lousy amp and then have the nerve to charge an outrageous fee to upgrade it to what it should have been in the first place...so much for the "mesa legend"...dissapointed is putting it mildly

Hi Alistair, thank you for your reply.
Yes. I'm still very much interested in getting a schematic for the IIC and ready to pay ( as long as its not a second mortgage....just joking).
Please advise how I contact JVK

Thanks again!

Error was referring to "mesaboogie" instead of "Boogiebabies" poster.
:roll:

First, thanks for all the replies to my posts.
I am an electronics tech by trade and recently did a "cap job" on my IIC which was a huge improvement on hum.

While inside the chassis, I noticed some interesting things:
It was clear that these amp are truly hand built as there were some really bizarr
tricks used to try to quiet this monster's seemingly limitless gain.
I noted that on the preamp tube, one of the filament leads is routed such that is under a bent over pin of the tube socket (underside) . If you unbend the tube pin and move this wire...wow! the amp buzzes like crazy especially with master at anything set at 2 or above. Anyone seen this too?

I also did the resistor mod on the reverb which helped deepen the reverb a bit but still not enough to my liking. I have a Fender Twin which buries the IIC as far as reverb is concerned..way better on the Twin even though one would think that they'd be close as they are both the great old spring tanks.

Since the last time I worked on this chassis , I read that LDRs are used for mode switching on the IIC + and the literature said that the IIC used them too. ( I don't recall seeing any relays so I assume it does use LDRs?.
Question...anyone know what the Part# /type is for those LDR's? or how to test them in the amp?

General comments... The boogie is built like a tank as advertised.
The craftsmanship is superb EXCEPT in the area of the preamp tubes where i found the solder work to be a little shoddy. I can't say that in an amp this old (83" ?) that this isn't the result of some old repair..so I'm not badmouthing the original manufacturing.

I truly wish that Mesa would provide a retro kit ( parts instructions,etc.)for the IIC+ conversion, especially since I hear that Mike B is in retirement mode. Shipping a heavy monster from the east coast to Cal is real pain and besides, it seems like most of the II C have already been converted anyway.

Thanks for any feedback / knowledge/ recommendations anyone out there has on the IIC

Sorry, I guess I freaked out when boogiebabies said he didn't care for the IIC especially since for me, Boogiebabies has "guru status"...kinda like your hero saying your girlfriend is ugly..aw you know what I mean

Anyway, I didn't mean to come on like an Ahole...hope my apology is accepted and I can become a member oif this excellent board :oops:

you get it straight, no chaser on this board-BB has been an incredible help to many here(along with countless others...) -makes this board a credible source of info-we have fun,too
now, about the girlfriend...we will need pictures! :lol:

Allrighty then.

Back to business.

The LDR's 1,2 and 3 should be Vactec VTL5C1. LDR's #4 ,and if you have an EQ #5 should be Vactec VTL5C4's. The question about your heater wiring seems like it's picking up a stray signal. The IIC had four different circuit boards, the SP10, RP10, SP11A and RP11A. All of them have the heater wires jumped from the power board and fed from the V1 by circuit traces underneath the circuit board. The pin that is usually bent under is the input signal to the grid and the 1M to ground. I guess if it's not bent over, it picks up interference. I don't know if it's more inherent in one circuit board over another.

It's like hearing from God..... who else could possibly know such Mesa Boogie details?!! Are you actually Milke B incognito?
Thanks again for the info! :D

Ronco said:
It's like hearing from God..... who else could possibly know such Mesa Boogie details?!! Are you actually Milke B incognito?

No, I'm pretty humble and not in California. I also don't think Mike would have the patience for this place. " Well, yeah, Uhhm, Could Be, Right, Well Gotta Go" !!! He would also turn the post into a political debate half way through. You have to like that guy !!!!

Boogiebabies said:
Ronco said:

No, I'm pretty humble and not in California. I also don't think Mike would have the patience for this place. " Well, yeah, Uhhm, Could Be, Right, Well Gotta Go" !!! He would also turn the post into a political debate half way through. You have to like that guy !!!!

What is he voting?

Dem, rep, green party(they use a lot of green tolex you know....)?

I've thought about upgrading or selling my IIC (...the Horror!). But after a high-volume spin last night, there's no way I'll do either. I ran it through my 12L-loaded half-back rather than the Eminence 150 in the combo, and it was reborn! I honestly can't decide which I like better, the C or the C+. (thanks in advance for the "helpful" comments about taking the C+ off my hands!)

Mine is a loaded Super 60 with export trans. To my ears it's the ultimate rhythm guitar amp, the definitive Fender on steroids. I noticed the voice of the Strat was much more apparent versus the C+ (or the Mark IV). For kicks I engaged my modded TS-9....instant C+!

I love them both and not about to sell either one, but to those thinking of upgrading their C, I'd recommend buying an upgraded C+ first if possible (cheaper than a production C+). Or maybe running it through an EVM12-L

Back