problems with new 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage8190

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just joined the Mesa club (finally) and picked up an Express 5:50 last week, but it's been problematic. I picked it up on Friday night, and right away when I started using it it started popping and getting static-ey, and then the power on it just died for a couple minutes. It came back on, but then continued to have these problems the rest of the night. I left it over night, and the next day I went back to it and checked it out, reseated all the tubes, made sure all the connections were good, tried a couple different guitars, with a couple different cables, and wound up with the same result. Only this time after the power went off and came back on it was working fine for the rest of the day. (I should define right now, that when I say the power went off, I mean that all sound cut out, but the lights were still on)

I tried using it again on Sunday, and again, same thing, static, pop, power off, then perfectly fine. Everyday the problems are getting less and shorter though. I decided then that I would bring it back to the store on Monday, but before I left Monday I figured I'd give it another go, and this time, worked perfectly!?! So I played it for awhile, had no problems, and figured this thing was out to make me look like a tool when I brought it back, so I decided I'd wait a bit. Fast forward to today, Wednesday, and I still have not had another problem with it.

So I guess my question is...a) what the hell?! and b)should I take this thing back and get something else while I can, or should I wait it out.

Love the amp by the way...when its working at least. :)

Amps do not fix themselves.....but a tube can be intermittent, sometimes working and others not.
Sounds like this is the situation you have, as a minimum.

Assuming you are sure you did not have a loose cord or connector, (even the power cord might not be seated all the way, but you say the lights always stayed on so not likely in this case) there is something else going on.

Replacing the tube(s) may help if this is, indeed, the problem. If not then there is more to it.
If you have a chance to return it within a certain amount of days (30 for many stores), and you have eliminated all tubes as the cause of the problem, I'd take it back.
Don't go through 15 months of hell with an intermittent problem. I did and believe me you won't like it. :cry:
The good news is it is very likely just a tube...just be sure before the return time limit is up. :wink:

Good luck! :D

The store may be willing to give you some replacement tubes or do some troubleshooting for you. I had some issues with my 5:50 getting really shreeky. I called Mesa and they sent me a couple preamp tubes. I went through them one by one until I found the problem child. I agree with the other gentleman..don't put up with it or worry when it's gonna happen. Take that sucker back if you're not happy.

Ya ok, I'll definitely take it back then. I see there have been a fair number of problems with the express, do you guys think its worth it to upgrade to the Mark V just for the sake of reliability? I'm very happy with the tones of the express, but I also want it to last and could get the same tones plus some on the Mark V.

Take it back and ask them to remove every tube that has the word "Mesa" on it and replace them with JJ or TungSol or anything new that does not say "Mesa" on it. If the problems disappear, take it back home and enjoy. A friendly dealer will do that and not charge you for the tubes, unless they get snotty about it and say you have to replace with Mesa tubes if you want free warranty service. If they say that, just resign yourself to buying all new tubes out of pocket.

The number one fix to try for any new Mesa amp is remove every tube that says "Mesa" on it and put in new tubes. Just do all of them at once, get a clean start. My impression is a complete new retube as soon as you get home with the new amp solves or prevents 95% of all the problems people seem to report with new Mesa amps. Worked for me. I will never again put Mesa tubes in anything.......

savage8190 said:
I see there have been a fair number of problems with the express...

There really haven't been. No more than with any other Boogie. In fact, I see more issues discussed here with some other Boogies.

soundchaser59 said:
Take it back and ask them to remove every tube that has the word "Mesa" on it and replace them with JJ or TungSol or anything new that does not say "Mesa" on it. If the problems disappear, take it back home and enjoy. A friendly dealer will do that and not charge you for the tubes, unless they get snotty about it and say you have to replace with Mesa tubes if you want free warranty service. If they say that, just resign yourself to buying all new tubes out of pocket.

The number one fix to try for any new Mesa amp is remove every tube that says "Mesa" on it and put in new tubes. Just do all of them at once, get a clean start. My impression is a complete new retube as soon as you get home with the new amp solves or prevents 95% of all the problems people seem to report with new Mesa amps. Worked for me. I will never again put Mesa tubes in anything.......

+1 Call Doug at Doug's Tubes and order the Express 5:50 tube set..you will be very happy. :)

Be VERY CAREFUL about just replacing EVERY tube with "Mesa" on it.

This is OK for the preamp, and driver tubes (Usually all 12ax7) even rectifier tubes, but with output tubes, you must use tubes that meet Mesa's pre set bias range. Failure to do this could damage the amp and void your warranty (the last thing you need if you have a deep rooted problem with this amp).

I would stick with the Mesa output tubes for now...they don't generally care about the preamp tubes, unless of course they are defective and the defect ruins the amp, although that is extremely rare.

Places like Dougs Tubes are great for getting tubes that will specfically fit the Mesa specs, but even then, if they send you a defect that damages the amp, don't expect Mesa to stand behind someone else's tubes and honor the warranty.

I sincerely wish you good luck as I went through a tough intermittent issue with my Ace. But once they found the problem, it has been perfect since.
Mesa's are generally very well made and reliable amps so having one problem does not mean its a lemon! And get a Mark V 'cuz you really want one, not because the 5:50 might break.

Just my $0.02! :D

Old BF Shred said:
Be VERY CAREFUL about just replacing EVERY tube with "Mesa" on it.

This is OK for the preamp, and driver tubes (Usually all 12ax7) even rectifier tubes, but with output tubes, you must use tubes that meet Mesa's pre set bias range. Failure to do this could damage the amp and void your warranty (the last thing you need if you have a deep rooted problem with this amp).

I would stick with the Mesa output tubes for now...they don't generally care about the preamp tubes, unless of course they are defective and the defect ruins the amp, although that is extremely rare.

Places like Dougs Tubes are great for getting tubes that will specfically fit the Mesa specs, but even then, if they send you a defect that damages the amp, don't expect Mesa to stand behind someone else's tubes and honor the warranty.

I sincerely wish you good luck as I went through a tough intermittent issue with my Ace. But once they found the problem, it has been perfect since.
Mesa's are generally very well made and reliable amps so having one problem does not mean its a lemon! And get a Mark V 'cuz you really want one, not because the 5:50 might break.

Just my $0.02! :D

Thins for the input, I already grabbed the Mark V :) . Seems like its just too good to pass up.

I exchanged my Express for the Mark V. Had it for almost a month, and the funny thing is, I liked the sound and simplicity of the Express way more! I returned the Mark V, and when I brought it back in they just happened to have an Express 5:50 that had come back from a one month rental. They were clearing it out for $800 bucks, and it was in mint shape! Needless to say I picked it up, and I have had no problems with this one.

Happy day!

Hi I had the exact same problem with my 5:50 here in the UK. Get it sent straight back, I went through 12 months of pain where it would cut out on gigs for no reason sometimes yet other times it worked like a charm. It turned out to be a faulty component on the board which would intermittently cause the problem. (Can't remember the name of the component sorry.)

I went through the usual tube replacement, screen grid resistors soldered back in (I did the mod to place them the right way up rather than the way they hang upside down as per the manufacturing process so gravity couldn't work on them!)

Send it back and have it done properly, it's too good an amp to have worries about.
D

I had the same problem with mine (when I owned one). Try a patch cable in the effects loop to completely close the circuit.

Echo21 said:
I had the same problem with mine (when I owned one). Try a patch cable in the effects loop to completely close the circuit.

I was going to suggest that, as amps with a loop sometimes need a cleaning O the jacks (or several in n out plugs). The old patch cable trick often shows this needs to be done. Seems to be a moot point now. :)

Latest posts

Back