Problems hearing in smaller venues 2X12 Vert, added Pic.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTelecasterMan

Reaction score
I was having a hard time hearing myself at the last job. The amp was about 6 feet behind me, just not enough to hear my guitar very well. I'm teaching myself to weld and this is what came of it. The stand slips into where the wheels go. I lay the speaker on its side, slip out the wheels and slip on the stand. Stand up the unit put the top on and set the amp head on, plug it in and i'm ready to go. It takes up about 8" more forward space but points the speaker up enough to hear at a much closer distance.

It is a bit taller but I'm kinda tall so it works for me.

Here is what the parts look like before I added the corner brace at the top for added strength. I made one other piece that goes between the two upright pieces and I'll add that picture tomorrow. It just made things a little more sturdy. When I used it at the last job it only took me a couple of minutes to remove the wheels and slide on the stand.

With the added brace. I felt it could use some added stability. When its all together its like a rock with no side to side.

VEry cool idea. So, I am not being flip here, but have you ever tried removing the back wheels only, so that the back of the cabinet sits on the ground and the front wheels make it angle up? Depending on the size of the wheels, the head can be safely balanced or perhaps too angled

Even so, nice welding!

VEry cool idea. So, I am not being flip here, but have you ever tried removing the back wheels only, so that the back of the cabinet sits on the ground and the front wheels make it angle up? Depending on the size of the wheels, the head can be safely balanced or perhaps too angled

Even so, nice welding!

I did that with my DC-5, removed the back wheels but didn't put the head on top. It was not sturdy leaning that far back as it was almost at the balancing point. Leaning/removing the back wheels on my DC-5 and for my F-30 combo I have a stand that I bought that leans it back, was what gave me the idea to make the stand. I had never seen a stand for anything but little combo amps.

Once I had the idea to make a stand then I wanted to see if I could do it. To figure out how to make it and make it function. Then it turned into a challenge. It also seems like a much safer way to make it happen. No oops, falls or Oh ****!!! It's locked in tight.

Did my first job with the stand and it worked awesome. I use two 2X12 vertical cabs when I work and after setting up I walked in front and there was no difference in tone between the one that was on the stand and the one that was on the wheels. But there was a big difference when I was standing at my microphone. Clear and clean, I could hear everything. I got great interaction with the amp. I also didn't spend much time adjusting the amp during the job besides a few volume pushes (Gota Love Volume) So, I am very pleased with the result.

And a big thank you to everyone who chimed in.

cradlefish said:
bump up your mids and you'll have no problems hearing yourself

I'm 6'4" tall I could actually hear the speaker on the other side of the drummer better than the one behind me. Small stages at all but one place we play. Some places they just put us in the corner. There is one place where I will not even take it. I take the F-30. Small town, small bars or it's a suit and tie job at whisper volume level. The suit and tie job is no place for a Mark V anyway.

I tried everything but it wasn't a tone issue. But Thank you for taking the time to give a possible solution.

That looks KILLER but I cannot imagine not being able to hear a Mark V in any setting. You guys must be REALLY loud. You should start building those. I bet you could sell them and I can tell you from experience that working for yourself beats the hell out of working for someone else! Of course you may already be doing that, lol.

J

jbow said:
That looks KILLER but I cannot imagine not being able to hear a Mark V in any setting. You guys must be REALLY loud. You should start building those. I bet you could sell them and I can tell you from experience that working for yourself beats the hell out of working for someone else! Of course you may already be doing that, lol.

J
LOL... Well I think the problem is we don't play very loud. I'm 6'4" and the stages or areas we play the amp is so close behind me usually between 4ft to a max of 8ft the sound just goes right under me. I also play an F-30 combo and I have a stand that tilts it back very nicely. The F-30 is also an amp that works very well at really low volume levels. We have played suit and tie formal dinners where we actually play while people are eating then kick it up for dancing. The Mark V is not so happy at real low levels. Hearing it over the bass guitar has been a problem.

I thought about building another stand. I have a design that the cabinet actually rolls into and then a lever tilts it. The thing is unless I had someone that wanted one, it takes hours to build and about $40 in materials. This one took about 16 hours but I was engineering as I went. There was also a lot of sitting, staring at what I had and then the cabinet and thinking about how to do something. I think I revised my original idea 3 times. Lots of cut, fit, weld, adjust, think, cut, grind, weld and so on. It did turn out nice and it functions properly. Another issue is each cabinet is not exactly the same. The wheel placement is not exactly the same cabinet to cabinet I own 2 of the 2x12 vert. cabs. and the stand only fits one cabinet easily. The other cabinet is real tight, it works but it's tight. So my cabinets are marked.

But thanks for taking an interest and commenting.

That is a neat setup. I use a keyboard stand to hold my rack on top and put the MKV amp on the stand feet to keep the stand from being top heavy. The amp is flat and not angled though.

Your stand looks nice. If you could make it more portable, you could probably market that beast. :)

guitarmech111 said:
That is a neat setup. I use a keyboard stand to hold my rack on top and put the MKV amp on the stand feet to keep the stand from being top heavy. The amp is flat and not angled though.

Your stand looks nice. If you could make it more portable, you could probably market that beast. :)

Thank you very much. As for hearing the amp it depends on the venue. The last job I did we played ultra low and I didn't use the stand. The cabs were about 8ft behind me. I could hear myself but it didn't sound as good as when it is pointed at me in the stand. Playing telecasters I ride the volume and tone control heavily and I like to hear every little thing.

It takes 3 minutes to setup. Lay the cab. on it's side, pop out the wheels slide on the stand, stand it back up, screw in the brace and set the top on.

Latest posts

Back