My Mark V has me seriously considering selling my Fuchs ODS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaj

Reaction score
For the last five years (well, up until November 2009) I've been using a hand tuned and factory modded Fuchs ODS-50 1x12 combo as my primary amp (and only amp aside from a Crate Power Block as an emergency backup). Since acquiring my Mesa Mark V at the beginning of November 2009 my Fuchs has been getting less and less use. I can't cop the Fuchs' tone/response with the MkV necessarily but it works as well as the Fuchs with its own strengths / attributes. I don't like the Fuchs any less but I'm just finding more and more that the MkV is a better fit for me and my approach every time I A/B them for any particular application. The traits that drew me to the Fuchs and kept me there are all present in the MkV and, in some cases more so than the Fuchs:

* seemingly endless sustain clean or dirty
* chewy overdrive texture with clear string-to-string note definition/separation
* thick and distinct overdrive texture in the lows and low mids that never sounds muddy / mushy
* sounds fantastic at any volume
* may be used as a channel switcher or a single channel amp in live applications
* great sounding reverb
* great sounding effects loop
* core tone ideal for many genres

I was sure when I was demo'ing and as I was purchasing the Mark V that I would be using it as an alternate and secondary amp to the Fuchs ODS (though I should have known through past experience that this was unlikely). The more I play through the Mark V and he more familiar I become with the controls and their interaction the more I find the Mark V taking over the Fuchs' job. I'm still playing through the Fuchs a little almost every day but, again, less and less as time passes. I'll find myself going back to the MkV before I shut everything down and realizing that it fits me better. This has been building up for five months now and I'm now beyond the 'honeymoon' with the Mark V.

I should have known that I would eventually reach a decision point between the two amps - no matter how many great amps I might have owned at any one time in my life I have always gravitated towards my favorite of the bunch and the rest eventually sit idle / unused. The only exception to this was when my primary amp was a Rivera Jake combo and I owned a Rivera Rake head (same amp) as a backup - I played through the Rake often. When I was gigging I kept a backup capable of taking over on the spot. I'm not gigging at all right now and have no plans to get involved in any project that would require regular gigging due to health complications. During the last five years when the Fuchs was back at the factory for mods or tuning I found myself using a software amp sim instead of an alternate amp (borrowed) or backup amp (Power Block + pedals). I couldn't afford and never considered a second tuned and modded Fuchs ODS - one was expensive enough and there's a lot of specific work in that amp that would be difficult to have duplicated exactly. If I found myself gigging again I could afford to pick up a factory stock Mark V head as a backup - yet another upside to the MkV.

The Mark V has clearly taken over as my primary amp and, as in the past with other alternates, I'm fast losing interest in the Fuchs simply because when I'm plugged into it I'd rather be plugged into the Mesa. I'm thinking about trading it or selling it for a Fractal Audio AxeFX Ultra rig (AxeFX unit / single or stereo pair powered FRFR monitor wedge / MIDI foot controller). This would end up replacing the software amp sims for late night / headphone practice, provide me with an additional recording tool for both bass and guitar, and provide me with some additional outboard effects for use with my DAW or with the Mark V. While I haven't really ever made regular use of more than one amp during any period of time I have used stand alone modelling in hardware or software form over the years regardless of amp used.

The simplest and plainest answer I can give is:

Yes the Mark V is the best amp I have ever heard too. :wink:

I had exactly the same experience only in my case it was a Matamp 1224 - I've now sold the Matamp and bought another MkV (this time a head) so I now have two and am going to try them in a stereo rig.

I'm currently trying to decide which I prefer - the open back combo or the head through a closed back, widebody cab - initial preference is heading towards the head.

I've also just invested in a quartet of Mesa EL34s and am going to try them in both the head and the combo and may well leave them in whichever one they sound best in.

When I bought the 1224, I thought that I would never sell it, but the MkV just blew it away. There are so many sounds lurking in the beast - the clean channel is worth the money on it's own!

I sold my Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature 2 just because the Mark V just fits me and my needs better....

Welshman said:
I had exactly the same experience only in my case it was a Matamp 1224 - I've now sold the Matamp and bought another MkV (this time a head) so I now have two and am going to try them in a stereo rig.

I'm currently trying to decide which I prefer - the open back combo or the head through a closed back, widebody cab - initial preference is heading towards the head.

I've also just invested in a quartet of Mesa EL34s and am going to try them in both the head and the combo and may well leave them in whichever one they sound best in.

When I bought the 1224, I thought that I would never sell it, but the MkV just blew it away. There are so many sounds lurking in the beast - the clean channel is worth the money on it's own!
man, i would love to have two Mark V's!!! (one with EL34's and one with 6L6's)

i am jealous!!!!!!!!! :wink:

salvatruco said:
Welshman said:

As an alternative to the AxeFX I am also considering a second Mark V as a trade for or purchase after selling the Fuchs. I have a combo so I'm considering a MkV head and 1x12 cab w/ a 200 watt EVM-12L. If I go this route I'll likely install a quad of EL34's in one of them. Both rigs would definitely get used here. The cab would also work as an extension cab to be used with the combo if desired. I almost like this idea better given that it's a known quantity, a guaranteed success. While the AxeFX definitely sounds like my kind of thing (big fan of modeling) I won't have an opportunity to demo one before purchase. I stopped buying music gear without demo'ing first after a couple of misses and I'm not too excited about trying it again.

Deaj said:
salvatruco said:
Welshman said:

As an alternative to the AxeFX I am also considering a second Mark V as a trade for or purchase after selling the Fuchs. I have a combo so I'm considering a MkV head and 1x12 cab w/ a 200 watt EVM-12L. If I go this route I'll likely install a quad of EL34's in one of them. Both rigs would definitely get used here. The cab would also work as an extension cab to be used with the combo if desired. I almost like this idea better given that it's a known quantity, a guaranteed success. While the AxeFX definitely sounds like my kind of thing (big fan of modeling) I won't have an opportunity to demo one before purchase. I stopped buying music gear without demo'ing first after a couple of misses and I'm not too excited about trying it again.
decisions... you are in an amzing situation!!!!!!!.wish you the best

salvatruco said:
decisions... you are in an amzing situation!!!!!!!.wish you the best

Thanks! :)

It's a burden but one I am willing to bear. :D :wink:

Hard decision for sure.
I'd keep it unless I really really needed the cash.
Have you tried the Mark V and Fuchs in stereo?
Maybe that combo would be sweeter than a Mark V/Mark V
set up.

I dabbled in the modeling stuff once with a PODxt Live. But I found
it hard to tweak in a jam band situation and went with individual
pedals for that reason. I'm not sold on an Axe-Fx unit, but that's
'cause I've been striving for a less is more approach.

Anyhow, I'm sure a lot would love to have your dilemma :D

I like a MKV and Rectifier or Knucklehead together. The MKV does not have the particular flavor of anger in the Rectifier or Knucklehead. Together they sound very wide because of the dissimilar tone, it is easy for your brain to hear the difference as it fans out in the room. I don't know what the Fuchs sounds like but I can remember remorse over selling a solid tone amp and then wanting it later after the new wears off of the latest puppy. It is a stretch in a different direction but you may like an SLO-100. Worth a test drive. If you like the modded Marshall sound, an SLO will get you there and then some.

I ended up pulling my classifieds post offering the Fuchs for sale or trade. I spent some time playing through it yesterday and I'm not ready to let it go. The Mark V may be a better fit for me at this point but I still find the Fuchs incredibly inspiring to play through.

Deaj said:
I ended up pulling my classifieds post offering the Fuchs for sale or trade. I spent some time playing through it yesterday and I'm not ready to let it go. The Mark V may be a better fit for me at this point but I still find the Fuchs incredibly inspiring to play through.

Probably a wise move if you're not sure - act in haste, repent at leisure!
We've all sold gear and ended up regretting it (buying as well!).
I'd give the Fuchs a go in stereo with your MkV and see how you like it.
As for the modelling, it's a bit of a marmite thing - people either love it or hate it. I gave Guitar Rig (both 3 and 4) a go with my Dark Fire using a Bose L1 to provide the muscle. I found it great to jam through, but it didn't quite cut the mustard live - there was "something" missing - couldn't quite tell you what, but it wasn't right. I even used a FCB1010 to change patches and alter various settings "on the fly", but you just can't beat a quality amp - especially one with as many sounds in at as a MkV.

Wow, you sure its worth it? I'd definitely consider my MKV for a fuchs.. Ha!

I think I figured out why I haven't been too into the Fuchs as of late. I have Psoriatic Arthritis and my symptoms have been quite severe for the last three months (the insurance company has been very slow to respond to requests to authorize treatment). The Fuchs is all about subtle dynamics and, while I've developed technique that takes advantage of the amps strengths over the past five years, none of it works very well with severe joint pain. Hell, I'm lucky I can tolerate playing at all right now.

The Mesa is far more forgiving than the Fuchs making it an absolute blast to play in my current condition. I don't mean to insinuate that this is a shortcoming at all - the Mesa is widely expressive in its own way. It's almost an exaggerated vocal-like expressive quality that's pretty easy to manipulate. It can also be made to sound more aggressive than the Fuchs - a lot more! Given how I'm feeling these days I find playing through the Mesa rather cathartic. I'm not having to listen to myself stumble over my own fingers in frustration. Rather I can just bang away at the strings using a subset of my technique and hear really pleasing results! What's not to like?

I can't see the Mesa going anywhere for the reasons stated above. I'll likely cycle in and out of my current condition for the rest of my life. I'm never going to quit playing and I want to be able to make the most of it regardless of how I'm feeling. I was actually feeling quite good when the Mesa first arrived and I was enjoying both amps for their individual strengths. As My condition deteriorated I think I found the Fuchs somewhat frustrating to play through (I've been through this cycle 4-5 times since diagnosed a few years ago). Having the Mesa in house this time around I have found playing guitar a good bit more relaxing when my symptoms are at their worst. The MkV is a hell of a lot of fun to play through regardless.

I took a stripped-down approach to playing last night so that dynamics took priority within my current limitations and found playing through the Fuchs quite rewarding! Not to the same degree as when playing pain-free but certainly better than trying to keep up with my expectations and continually falling short (never fun, that). If I approach the Fuchs with a new mindset during times like this it's most enjoyable to play!

I just started infusions of a new medication today and I'm hopeful that this treatment will provide long-term relief (all treatment options to date have provided only a few months of relief before losing effectiveness). I'm really glad I stopped to reconsider just what I was doing after I posted my Fuchs for sale/trade. I'd get back to feeling good and realize just what I lost had I followed through on it.

Back