"Pre-500" transformers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdmiralB

Reaction score
Why does the 'collective wisdom' state that they used Mark III parts?

I can see the OTs being non-simulclass parts (especially with the lack of a 16-ohm tap), but there's no way the power transformers are Mark III parts - no Mark series ever used a tube rectifier.

Well, not all mark III´s were Simul Class amps. I´ve heard that they used the output transformer from the 100w version of the Mark III which was different from the Simul-Class one.

I don´t think that solid state or tube rectifiers makes a difference to the OT used. But i could be wrong about that.

It makes a big difference with regard to the power transformers. Not only do the DRs require a 5V winding for the rectifier tubes, they require one with a 6A rating...which AFAICT was never before offered in ANY guitar amp.

Just the OT's. The PT's are usually dated two years ahead of the OT's, so the OT's are for the MK III. I called Boogie on the OT and the last use was on a MK III. Like the 561140, it too has a 5V tap and is in the MK IV.
Why the early DR PT's had a 5V tap is unknown. If I remember correctly, My OT is from 1990 and my PT is from 1992.

Corrected, now that I have my amp in front of me. :p

You've got it backwards. The OTs are dated 1990, the PTs current with amp manufacture.

Why the early DR PT's had a 5V tap is unknown.

Unknown? Um, how would the DRs power their 5U4s without one?

I can say with almost complete confidence that no Mark III ever had a 5V tap. The PTs are designed for the DRs. The OTs might very well have been non-simulclass Mark pieces.

AdmiralB said:
You've got it backwards. The OTs are dated 1990, the PTs current with amp manufacture.

Why the early DR PT's had a 5V tap is unknown.

Unknown? Um, how would the DRs power their 5U4s without one?

I can say with almost complete confidence that no Mark III ever had a 5V tap. The PTs are designed for the DRs. The OTs might very well have been non-simulclass Mark pieces.

Yes, you are correct. I did not have my amp sprawled out in front of me.

Dual Rectifiers get their 5V heater supply from a magic voltage fairy who lives in Petaluma you jerkoff, where else do you think it comes from. :D

Boogiebabies said:
you jerkoff

Ah, taking the high road. Always a good choice.
dry.gif

So, the question remains...why does everyone say the early DRs have Mark III power transformers?

Latest posts

Back