Power Conditioner and Speaker Simulator

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satch4u3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am thinking about adding some new peices to my rack. As already stated, I am looking into Power Conditioners and Speaker Simulators. For power conditioning, I have been looking at the Furman PL-PLUS, PL-PLUS DMC, or P 1800 PF R. I have never used a power conditioniers so bare with me.

In the past when I use to gig with a Marshall JVM410 I always expereinced different tones from venue to venue. Some nights I would have a great tone and other nights I felt like kicking the **** thing off the stage. Some nights I feel like my Mark V is expereincing the same thing but not as much as the JVM did. I am told it is probably due to different power from each location. Either to much juice or not enough. Which in turn effets your tone. From your guys expereince, is a power conditioner worth it? If the above is true I can't see how it wouldn't be. I would be looking for something that would provide a steady current to my Mark V. After reading up on some I hear the Furman p 1800 pf r is a good choice but a little pricy.

As for speaker simulators... I think the idea of not micing my cab and sending a feed from it to the front house system is a great idea. Or even leaving a cab at home and just bringing my rack and head to a show and using the house monitors. Has anyone used these things live? I have been looking at getting a Palmer PDi-03.

Some input would be greatly appreciated.

satch4u3 said:
I always expereinced different tones from venue to venue. Some nights I would have a great tone and other nights I felt like kicking the **** thing off the stage. Some nights I feel like my Mark V is expereincing the same thing but not as much as the JVM did. I am told it is probably due to different power from each location.

maybe you should get a voltage regulator.

evilsaint said:
satch4u3 said:
I always expereinced different tones from venue to venue. Some nights I would have a great tone and other nights I felt like kicking the **** thing off the stage. Some nights I feel like my Mark V is expereincing the same thing but not as much as the JVM did. I am told it is probably due to different power from each location.

maybe you should get a voltage regulator.

Be aware that a "power conditioner" is in NO WAY a "voltage regulator".
Power conditioner is just a fancy word for surge suppressor.
Regulators are much more expensive, although you can often pick up a Furman AR-1215 for under $500. It is also a conditioner.
But, the real reality is different rooms sound, well, different.

Speaker simulators such as the Palmer PDI 03 will void your warranty and potentially damage your gear. I would go with an ISO cab.

Regulators are much more expensive, although you can often pick up a Furman AR-1215 for under $500. It is also a conditioner.

So the Furman PL-PLUS, PL-PLUS DMC, or P 1800 PF R wouldn't be considered power conditioners as well as voltage regulators?

MesaGod666 said:
Speaker simulators such as the Palmer PDI 03 will void your warranty and potentially damage your gear. I would go with an ISO cab.

I never thought about an ISO cab! Any suggestions as to any particular brands to look into?

satch4u3 said:

So the Furman PL-PLUS, PL-PLUS DMC, or P 1800 PF R wouldn't be considered power conditioners as well as voltage regulators?

These are conditioners, not regulators. If it doesn't say REGULATOR, it's not a regulator.

MesaGod666 said:

First I've heard of this. If these damage your gear, so will any other attenuator.

MrMarkIII said:
First I've heard of this. If these damage your gear, so will any other attenuator.

Go check out the Rack Pieces thread. I have a post regarding my latest experience with the Palmer PDI03. It destroyed my 2:Ninety. A speaker simulator does indeed void your warranty. You can call Marcus and Chris from Boogie and they will tell you the same thing because it's exactly what they told me.

I use the ART PR8 Pro. It is an EMI/RFI filter, Surge Suppressor and Voltage Regulator. Works great at keeping the voltage between 117-122V.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VX7OOY?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

You could prob find it even cheaper used.

Dom

I will definetly look into this unit. Thanks!

MesaGod666 said:
The Rivera Silent Sister is a good ISO cab...you can also build your own.

That model looks great. Not cheap tho. Not that I am looking for something cheap but I wasn't expecting it to be that much. How naive of me. :shock:

MesaGod666 said:
MrMarkIII said:

Go check out the Rack Pieces thread. I have a post regarding my latest experience with the Palmer PDI03. It destroyed my 2:Ninety. A speaker simulator does indeed void your warranty. You can call Marcus and Chris from Boogie and they will tell you the same thing because it's exactly what they told me.

Wow. I just read your thread. Very sad indeed. I think I will stay away from the Speaker Simulators.

If buying a power conditioner (Furman - Monster etc) is too much of a hassle...then you can even connect it to a good UPS of sorts - like the APC with enough VA rating. Acts the same way like a power conditioner. Since the output is essentially isolated from the input (power line), you get good voltage rectification as well...and works like a great surge protector.

Not sure if you've purchased anything yet but I have the Monster 2500 that someone mentioned and it does wonders. I have used it with a Marshall, Laney, Mark III, and Mark V and it has made all sound quite a bit more consistent from venue to venue as well as run a bit quieter.

HeadlessAxeman said:
If buying a power conditioner (Furman - Monster etc) is too much of a hassle...then you can even connect it to a good UPS of sorts - like the APC with enough VA rating. Acts the same way like a power conditioner. Since the output is essentially isolated from the input (power line), you get good voltage rectification as well...and works like a great surge protector.

The only issue with UPSs is that they're loaded with batteries and the batteries make it really f*cking heavy.

I still haven't purchased anything yet. But I am strongly considering a Furman PL Plus C or PL Plus DMC.

Latest posts

Back