Post Your Rig! Must Include a Mark V.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why thank you sir.

It's a Mex FSR. Really nice actually, usually go for about £350 new over here and caught some dude in a rush for a deal and got it for a mere £200. Bareknuckly Piledriver bridge going in and maybe a Filtertron in the neck to come. I'm also a sucker for a bigsby but on the swirl it will maybe be too much.

Just got my Mark V a few days ago, and loving it so far:

photo%2B2-2.JPG

My simple but effective gigging rig:

MarkV_gribbly.jpg

Mark V combo, 2009 Deluxe Strat (HSS). I usually have a compressor in the mix as well.

All fits easily in my trunk, casters on the combo make load in easy-ish (the Mark V combo is heavy)

There's a Mark V in there somewhere:

I did have the Mark V combo, but found bandit2013 on here had done a head to combo conversion and still had his old head cabinet, so I bought it from him (by the way, perfect transaction). I pulled out my guts and put them in the head cabinet. Much more mobile now. You can't really tell it, but on that 2x12 marshall cabinet, I installed the Mesa Boogie casters. I like the system so much, I bought extras and put them on the marshall. So now my marshall has some boogie parts. :D

WGW

WGWMESA,
Your transformation from combo to head of the V looks great. Would that be a JCM410H? I am not up on Marshalls and the various models. How does it compare to the V? I did briefly consider one but.... However I wanted something that had that Rectifier tone so I opted for a Roadster instead.

The caster system Mesa uses is by far the best. Now I need a set for my Mark V since the combo shell did not have them. :cry: I would have just swapped the Mark IV and Mark V if I were considering just having one combo and one head. Mark IV sounds better though a 412 than as a combo. The V on the other hand sounds great either way. I did try to fit the Mark V into the Mark IV shell but would have required some changes to the baffle board. I have also considered keeping the Mark V as is and just buy another but in combo form. thoughts, ideas, compromises and opinions change with time. I still enjoy the V just as much as I did when it was just a head. Nice feature about the combo, you do not have to remove the chassis from the shell to tube roll. It is still easier to remove the chassis when tuning the preamp or tying to find the tube making noise if it occurs since most issues become apparent after tubes are at full operating temperatures. Weight wise, I would also prefer the head over the combo. Sooner or later I will get the casters for it.

First picture was sometime early in 2013. Mark V and Standard Rectifier cabinet before the EVM12L came into the picture.

rig_zpsa83683dd.jpg

A few things have changed since then. More guitars and two more Mesa Boogies. Since I loved the clarity of the clean channel of the Mark IV, I have often placed the Mark V Head on top of the combo to get a feel for the difference in character and really liked it (the Mark IV has an extra long speaker cable just for that purpose). The Head to combo conversion was not for a means of convenience but more of a characteristic change for crisp clean chime to a wet tone for blues. I wanted to retain the punch provided by the Recto 412 with EV, so I swapped the bottom speakers from the 412 (they do not have the EV logo) and stuffed two new ones in their place. Over hauled the small and deep 1x12 cab and modified the Combo shell to accept front mounting of the speaker. Best of all, I can still crank it out with both 412 cabinets (the Egnator cab has the original V30's from the Recto cab) or just use the combo and extension cab. Considering only the two speakers in use, I am amazed on the depth and overall loudness of the rig. I would say it is about the same as driving a half stack.

rear view of the Mark V rig:
P6280045_zpsf2896381.jpg

front view of the Mark V with its brothers of monster tone.

P6280047_zps5c9bcf33.jpg

Now I can say the Mark V has become quite versatile in range of options. 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 (two options) or a full stack(The Mark V sounds incredible as a full stack.). :mrgreen:

Very nice collection you have there Bandit. Yep that is a jcm410h. It's a dirty girl. Decent cleans, but not as clean as the Mark V. It is nosier than the V, but it has some serious grunt to it. They are different enough to justify having both.

That's cool. I have the same reason for the Roadster and RA100, they can sound similar but yet not the same. The Mark IV was not in the other picture but still have it. Could not justify a reason to sell it. (was not in picture). Had I considered getting a Vertical 2x12 cab to go with the Mark V it would still be a head. I like the characteristics of the combo form just as much as half or full stack. Actually the open back rig serve well for all styles. Need to install casters on the Mark V, it gets heavy quick (the moment I pick it up). The EV is only a few pounds heavier than the MC90. For a Mark Series Combo, either an EV classic or Black Label is the way to go. That really takes me back to my Mark III days. Now that I have become used to the other two amps, if I went on a gig, I would have to bring all three. :shock: It all depends on the menu, heavy metal service is best with either Mark V or Roadster. Classic Rock would be better served with RA100 for the earlier 60's and the Roadster and Mark V can mop up the rest of the decades. For blues and or Jazz, I am on the fence which is the best, but since I do not conform to conventional standards, I would say all three have their place.

61pqPL.jpg

Hi there,
here is my "new" Mark V. :mrgreen:

Here are som further info's about this amp:
I just got it a few days ago. I must say, this amp really rock's! I love it!
Before it was a Combo, but i desided very fast to convert it into a nice head.
"Nice" is allways a subject that can lead into lots of talking, oi know :roll:

I like and prefer the dirty and strange look of gear anyway. Actually i would like to turn it in some kind of steam punk object... :wink:
So be prepared. I will come up with more about this head.

btw: nice Forum here!
solong.

Because some guys were asking for. Here is a rough plan how to build it.

well I can't compete with that homemade head shell, but I do have a homemade 2x12 with MS-12's!

photo_rig.jpg

V2h64O.jpg

Electric:
1987 Gibson Explorer with EMG 81/60 (exactly like the one owned by James Hetfield)
2002 ESP MX-250 with EMG 60/81
2011 Gibson SG Standard Limited with Bare Knuckle Black Dog pickups in aged finish and push-pull CTS pots for coil-split
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Plus with Seymour Duncan APII Slash signature pickups
2006 Ibanez RG1570 Prestige with Bare Knuckle Nailbomb Ceramic set and Slow Hand single pickup
2014 Custom guitar by a local luthier in Brazil

Acoustic:
1998 Gibson EC-30 BKE
20XX (don't remember) Yamaha 12 string FG720S

Future acquisitions:
Early 90's Fender Stratocaster 57 Reissue in Fiesta Red
ESP KH-2 with Neck-Thru-Body, probably a vintage model as the "regular" with NTB are hard to find.

guijs said:
V2h64O.jpg

Electric:
1987 Gibson Explorer with EMG 81/60 (exactly like the one owned by James Hetfield)
2002 ESP MX-250 with EMG 60/81
2011 Gibson SG Standard Limited with Bare Knuckle Black Dog pickups in aged finish and push-pull CTS pots for coil-split
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Plus with Seymour Duncan APII Slash signature pickups
2006 Ibanez RG1570 Prestige with Bare Knuckle Nailbomb Ceramic set and Slow Hand single pickup
2014 Custom guitar by a local luthier in Brazil

Acoustic:
1998 Gibson EC-30 BKE
20XX (don't remember) Yamaha 12 string FG720S

Future acquisitions:
Early 90's Fender Stratocaster 57 Reissue in Fiesta Red
ESP KH-2 with Neck-Thru-Body, probably a vintage model as the "regular" with NTB are hard to find.

Hey Mate, how does the MX compare to the 87(84)? I have an an original 84 myself. Wondering how it stacks up against the ESP?

Mark V:25
'84 Gibson explorer
LTD Snakebyte
Harley Benton 2x12

Justin_Blackened said:
Hey Mate, how does the MX compare to the 87(84)? I have an an original 84 myself. Wondering how it stacks up against the ESP?

They sound slightly different, like different tastes of two very good wines! Physically, the Gibson weight is heavier and the neck feels a bit ticker. The ESP is a faster guitar to play. But both are absolutely awesome!

Just got my Mark V (BLUE with Wicker).

890684DF-41B7-4AAD-AD94-BC5D0BBBD4D4_zps0kfslzzr.jpg

718B99DC-71A6-4BDE-AF2C-63414C7ECDC7_zpssinknhni.jpg

Marshall JVM, Friedman JJ100, Mark V, Triple Rec, Cameron CCV, EVH 5153 50 Watt

Latest posts

Back